Lexus CT200h Forums banner

[Tire Review] - Continental TruContact

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  maxchlin 
#1 ·
My original Michelin stocks were down to 4/32" after 2 years 30k mile. So sicken and tired of all its slip and skid, I vow never get another set even if they’re free. Researching for a new sets took me a really long while. I admit, I am a picky shopper because I live by a code that every cent of my hard earn money should be spend wisely. Almost all my friends (most are Bimmer owners) swear by asymmetrical sports tires and having a separate sets just for winter. But as always an odd ball around them (after getting a CT instead of BMW 3), I don’t believe sports tires are really the right solution for my CT and daily commute. As for the winter set, come on, I am in Philly, not Boston.

So my search covered most of the sites we can think of, TireRack, CR, and of course, this forum. All most all of them point to Continental. After reading review from LoveCT and other Conti users, I pulled my trigger and replaced all 4 tires with Conti’s TruContact. As LoveCT had said, Conti not only cheaper, but really outperform the Micheline by ten folds.

As other Conti owners, I have noticed road noise is reduced significantly and lesser bumpy ride than before. I was also lucky (sort of) to test them under heavy rain these past two days. When I did 40mph off I-76 ramp in the rain with just one had on wheel and no white knuckles afterward, I know I am very happy with its wet traction. Noise reduction might get to cross out because Philly had just repaved most of its street for recent Papal visit so they are smoother than I could ever remember. But the used to be awful coffee-spill-whole-car-jumping “clunk” when hitting a uneven road, now is reduced to just a quick light shake with awesome muffled “thump”. The improvement is so significant, even wife notice it.

The only thing to complain is probably also the noise. Since the road noise is reduced so much, CT’s “whine” from regenerate braking has become much more noticeable than ever. And I swear on my lovely wife’s life, I can even notice the subtle “click” sound when pressing down the break!

Can’t wait to test them out in the snow. Maybe this year, I can finally take my CT up to Pocono for ski season!

I give 5 stars (so far) for Continental TruContact.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am so...happy to report this. These tires passed the "2016 Blizzard" test with flying color. 26" of snow I had got in KoP, PA. Snow packed street...passed. Thin icy road...passed. Slippery road signs...passed. Up/down hills...passed! No swing and bare minimum skidding. Breaking performance on snow and ice were so good, my anti-skid light only came up once! Now I have to worry about cars might rear-end me at stop sign.

BTW, I also found the "sweet spot" for tire pressure. Sticker calls for 33psi /front and 32psi/rear when cold. I think that was right on the spot. Originally had 30psi (and normally what most of us do) for both ends. Although ride was quiet and smooth, but I felt the tier gripping was too much that whole car felt "heavy". So changed to 33/32 as the sticker called....wow....ride still smooth and quiet, but add a bit bouncy to it. The whole heaviness gone and still perfect when turning in snow/ice. Add +2psi (so around 34/34 both ends) if you normally inflate your tire at gas station. That's normally how much air expand in these tires after driven a hour on highway (I gauged it with meter).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.