Lexus CT200h Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Manufacturer's recommended pressures are a compromise to give all-round reasonable comfort and handling. Few people argue with the idea of a 10% increase in pressures, which can sharpen up handling, braking and economy.
Prosperity,

Yes you are absolutely correct and I agree :) 10% increase is fine. It is when you go 31.25% over you are asking for problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i just got my car couple of days ago. last nite went out for a test drive around and found the ride to be very hard and bumpy. so i went to check the pressure and it is running at 40! all my cars (LX570 & LS600hL) i run 28.. so i reduced the pressure to 28 (hot).. now it is like a carpet ride which is much more like a proper lexus now! here in malaysia/singapore with tire pressure above 30, you car will develop premature suspension failure and interior console rattling. it is really a huge improvement in ride quality that i am willing to give up on my fuel mileage and tire life. note, despite with such low pressure, the handling still remain tight and sporty. do give a try. cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
i just got my car couple of days ago. last nite went out for a test drive around and found the ride to be very hard and bumpy. so i went to check the pressure and it is running at 40! all my cars (LX570 & LS600hL) i run 28.. so i reduced the pressure to 28 (hot).. now it is like a carpet ride which is much more like a proper lexus now! here in malaysia/singapore with tire pressure above 30, you car will develop premature suspension failure and interior console rattling. it is really a huge improvement in ride quality that i am willing to give up on my fuel mileage and tire life. note, despite with such low pressure, the handling still remain tight and sporty. do give a try. cheers!
Wow, can't believe they were set that high to begin with. It's probably not the best idea to run the pressures BELOW the recommended ones (listed on the inside of your drivers side door), but it's obviously your car and you can do what you want with it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
i run 28.. so i reduced the pressure to 28 (hot).. now it is like a carpet ride which is much more like a proper lexus now!
If you have 17" wheels, I would worry about damage to the wheels from road hazards running less pressure than recommended. There is not much sidewall on 17" tires.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
And you also checked your pressures while they were hot. How accurate are they when you check them hot?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took my pressure up to 40psi and i've got a 3mpg increase straight away... impressive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The tire sidewall only indicate the maximum pressure the tire can take.. If you put that much, on high way speed won't it explode?
No. The sidewall indicates the maximum cold pressure that the tire can safely take. There's no way that tire manufacturers would open themselves to lawsuits by stamping an unsafe max tire pressure on their tires.

The Michelin's that come with the CT have a maximum pressure of 51psi.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I took my pressure up to 40psi and i've got a 3mpg increase straight away... impressive.
Listening too you guys I need to up my tire pressure to at least 40. Will see how that does and maybe up it to 45 like Bill suggests.

I really like the ride and handling of the CT; need to check my pressure an see where I am at :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill, you using 51? I won't dare to think about the ride quality here in pot holes paved road in this part of Asia.. Btw thanks for the correctioin on the tire sidewall indicator. Cheers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm still waiting to receive my CT, should be a week or two. If 51 is stamped on the tire, that's what they are going to get. We run 51lbs. in our CLK350 and the ride quality is excellent and the handling is fantastic due to the stiffening of the side walls. My wife will actually notice the ride difference when it gets below 40lbs. and complain that the tires are unresponsive so back to 51 they go. SF Bay Area roads are fraught with potholes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bill, you using 51? I won't dare to think about the ride quality here in pot holes paved road in this part of Asia.. Btw thanks for the correctioin on the tire sidewall indicator. Cheers!
Hi, you mentioned that you are running 26PSI. how long have you been running with that?

any abnormal wear? Because the roads in Singapore is pretty crap. i was thinking of doing the same as you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I use 41/40 psi. 51,I'd think would be nuts. Most of the hardcore mpg guys with prius's use 44/42 psi,I'll be trying that out soon

·
Registered
609 Posts
Before I read this thread, I don't know anyone that would actually use the max PSI listed on the tires. Usually most people just use the recommended PSI sticker at the inside of the driver side door. I think it is for 2 or 3 people in the car. I usually drive alone, so I added a few more PSI. The recommended PSI is to keep a good even wear on your tire so you don't wear out the center or side too fast and keep good traction on the road. You will get better MPG by over inflate your tires but you will have to change out the tires sooner. I think mine is at 32 PSI. I think 40 will give you a very bumpy ride and the tires won't last too long. 51 seems super extreme to me...

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Recommended tyre pressures are a compromise between road holding (higher P is better), ride comfort (lower P is better) and economy (higher is better). Just take your pick and don't overdo it.
Actually , higher P does not necessarily mean better road holding. If does to a point and the road holding dimnishes, when the contact area reduces the frictional oc-efficient. Actually roadhoading is a combination of things and if that is ones goal is excellent road h then maybe they should be using tires other the low rolling resistance high mpg tires. Obviously the first choice would be to start with the F-sport set-up and then look at much,much stickier aftermarket tires, aftermarket suspension, tower bars, etc.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Before I read this thread, I don't know anyone that would actually use the max PSI listed on the tires. Usually most people just use the recommended PSI sticker at the inside of the driver side door. I think it is for 2 or 3 people in the car. I usually drive alone, so I added a few more PSI. The recommended PSI is to keep a good even wear on your tire so you don't wear out the center or side too fast and keep good traction on the road. You will get better MPG by over inflate your tires but you will have to change out the tires sooner. I think mine is at 32 PSI. I think 40 will give you a very bumpy ride and the tires won't last too long. 51 seems super extreme to me...
I will disagree with you. Running higher pressure will not cause tires to wear out faster.I have 56K on my current set of tires.The original tires. If you increase and cause your tires to wear funny,then yes.But, I'd hope you would pay attention to your tires. Harsh ride? Firmer but not like a mini cooper

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.