Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My new CT will be here the first week of April. Star Fire Pearl, Canadian Premium Package.

Can you program two sets (summer and winter) of wheels into the TPMS?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I asked the same question last week. Apparently certain Lexus models have a selector switch in the glove box to allow the choice between two sets of rims. The CT doesn't - need to call the service department.

It will be a PIA if I have to have them code each time I swap rims (spring & late fall)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Or... you can do what I do on the wifes Prius and my past Highlander Hybrid and plan to do on the CT. Summer tires have the TPMS monitors, winter tires and wheels use regular valve stems and are kept in the garage. In the winter, usually after about 10 miniutes driving, the check tire pressure light comes on. It will stay on till we get home and we let the car run for about 3-4 minutes and it receives the RF signal with the tire pressure. (By the way this works even with the car in front of the garage and not in it)

Not perfect, but beats about $300+ for additional TPMS stems and paying the dealer about $80 each time they reprogram the ECM.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Or... you can do what I do on the wifes Prius and my past Highlander Hybrid and plan to do on the CT. Summer tires have the TPMS monitors, winter tires and wheels use regular valve stems and are kept in the garage. In the winter, usually after about 10 miniutes driving, the check tire pressure light comes on. It will stay on till we get home and we let the car run for about 3-4 minutes and it receives the RF signal with the tire pressure. (By the way this works even with the car in front of the garage and not in it)

Not perfect, but beats about $300+ for additional TPMS stems and paying the dealer about $80 each time they reprogram the ECM.
But then when you drive away next time the "check tire-light" will come on again, wont it!?
This seems like a very big problem if it cant fixed in any way since I will need winter tires 50% of the year here in sweden :/

Cant I have air presure sensors with same codes in both winter and summer tires so that it works with both sets?

·
Registered
283 Posts
......Cant I have air presure sensors with same codes in both winter and summer tires so that it works with both sets?
That would be nice, but each is unique I was told, although I hear there are programable ones on or coming on the market. There should be, at least, a winter selector for when you run your winter tires to turn off the lamp or TPMS. On my Highlander they said there were enough spots in the ECM to take two sets and the spare, but you still had to have the dealer change them in the unit. I've seen a tool for about $150 (US) that you could change the ECM yourself, but not sure if it would work on the CT, I would think it would as it would have worked on the HH. You load your current summer tires into it, then the Winter tires and plug it into the OBD port and update between your summer and winter tires.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found this.. a system where they program the sensors instead of the ECU:
http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng/07product/swf/Cross-reference Website-R.pdf

Seems like they have a gen2 too that can scan the standard sensor-code, but it was a bit more costy Programming Tools by Orange Electronic

Any one know if its possible to order those valves pre-programmed somewhere? Would be nice to just send the ID somewhere and getting sensors programmed back. Should be possible to have two sets of tires with the same ID then, right!?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I found this.. a system where they program the sensors instead of the ECU:
http://www.orange-electronic.com/eng/07product/swf/Cross-reference Website-R.pdf

Seems like they have a gen2 too that can scan the standard sensor-code, but it was a bit more costy Programming Tools by Orange Electronic

Any one know if its possible to order those valves pre-programmed somewhere? Would be nice to just send the ID somewhere and getting sensors programmed back. Should be possible to have two sets of tires with the same ID then, right!?
That sure would save everyone a lot of troubles. I had read and saw that they were working on developing a programable TPMS for dealers but the ones I had read about were in the $2k range far more then a individual would want to spend for their own use.

·
Registered
131 Posts
According to Swedish dealer we do not have the TPMS in Sweden.. thank god! This made the winter tire purchase a whole lot easier :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I asked the same question last week. Apparently certain Lexus models have a selector switch in the glove box to allow the choice between two sets of rims. The CT doesn't - need to call the service department.

It will be a PIA if I have to have them code each time I swap rims (spring & late fall)
Is it possible to disable TPMS or just drive with the light ON?
I don't think I need all these toys, extra expense.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is it possible to disable TPMS or just drive with the light ON?
I don't think I need all these toys, extra expense.
There is no way to disable, but you can drive with the light on. You can also do what I do on the Wifes Prius and my last few Toyota vehicles, keep your regular tires in the garage, after about 10 -15 min the light comes on when you get home let the car run for a few miniutes and the RF sensors will reset the light and TPMS system and your good for another 10 min or so. Most of my trips are under 10-15 min so my light usually stayed off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Since (according to lexus dealer) we don't have any TPMS on the CT200h in sweden, it should be able to disable in some way!?
Its only electrics and since there probably isn't any RF-transmitter in the ECU, there should be an external box, and then its probably just to find it, define the wire-function and just ground or put a resistor on a wire.

I cant test since I havnt got my car yet and when I get it, it dosnt have any TPMS. But get a service manual and you will be set.
If its to messy you could simply take the cluster out and tape the lamp so that you dont have to see it :)

A third solution is to take a tube from a moped or something, cut it so that its a C instead of an O, throw in your sensors, seal it in both ends. Fill it with the right pressure, throw it into some nice space in the car. Live happily ever after :D

EDIT: I fond an example on the Prius. As you can see in the pics they have posted, they have managed to find the box and the way to "bridge" it. Im sure its possible to do on a ct200h too, its just to find out how.
http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-accessories-modifications/77254-idea-fool-tire-pressure-sensors-7.html

If you want to be legal I think the orange programmable sensors is your best shot thou.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I just went through my brochure and see no mention of the TPMS in it. Could it be that we don't have it in Canada?

Also there is no mention of a Mark Levinson audio system in the brochure. Just "Lexus 10-speaker Premium Sound System with digital sound processor, Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL) and in-dash, single-feed, six-disc CD auto-changer". Is this the same thing?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where is the reset button for tire pressure system. I've looked all over where the owners manual shows it to be, and can't find it. Is it behind or under something?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Where is the reset button for tire pressure system. I've looked all over where the owners manual shows it to be, and can't find it. Is it behind or under something?
No reset (not like BMW) self reset when tire pressures corrected:mad::mad::mad:

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Are you sure about that? according to the manual (page 521) there is a button to press above the gas pedal.
Well spotted. The button exists but is tough to see it's on the same panel as the footwell light just to the right of it . You need to get your head way under the steering wheel and use a flashlight to be able to see it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
^ Thank you. I just spend 15 minutes looking for it with no success. That seems like a pretty silly place for it when you consider that you're supposed to hold the button until a light on the dashboard flashes three times. They've turned resetting the tire pressure monitor into a 2 person job.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts