Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
'Keeping the dash under a blue light' or 'keep the needle away from the Power zone' as much as possible seems to be working out quite well for me.

I thought the part in the article about "When to Drive" kind of funny, though. Wouldn't we all love to avoid rush-hour traffic, skip driving on rainy days, and only drive on warm days? :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Good info tried some of the tips on my 8 mile drive home being ultra conservative and believe it or not I topped 60 mpg I wasn't able to sustain it for the full ride but I was able to get there

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
I'm not into the ultra economy thing and neither is my wife. However, as a before and after comparison.
Driving her prior car a BMW she averaged 19 mpg in the Lexus she averages 43 mpg. No change in driving style or geography.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've naturally changed some habits since the CT. I don't go as fast as I used to, I don't accelerate as fast either, but the one thing I really incorporated is the "pulse and glide" or "accelerating and crusing" as they say in this text. This can really change the fuel economy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good info tried some of the tips on my 8 mile drive home being ultra conservative and believe it or not I topped 60 mpg I wasn't able to sustain it for the full ride but I was able to get there
Like you today I was able to show an average of 67MPG for a short time after filling up this AM. Back into the hills and accelerated driving quickly droped me back down to 44 mpg. Even 44MPG is good over my Highlander Hybrid's 24MPG in town. I'll take the 20 mpg gain, two weeks cost me $34.00 to fill up where I was spending that per week.

If we had 'real' gas and not this 10% blend I'll bet all of us would be seeing 3-8+ mpg better. God help us if the government know it alls and we whats good for you idiots make us all go to the 15% blend they are trying to ram down our throats.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I thought the part in the article about "When to Drive" kind of funny, though. Wouldn't we all love to avoid rush-hour traffic, skip driving on rainy days, and only drive on warm days? :D
No kidding! Hey, since you're from VA, I know it's been quite warm down there already. How does the mileage compare when using the AC vs. not using it? I suspect it might suffer a bit?

·
Registered
267 Posts
No kidding! Hey, since you're from VA, I know it's been quite warm down there already. How does the mileage compare when using the AC vs. not using it? I suspect it might suffer a bit?
Hmm... I just realized I've had this thing set on Auto AC since the day I took delivery. :eek: I usually keep the temp on 78 degrees.

I can't say there's no effect on mileage from the AC, but I don't think I have experienced any loss in mileage (been getting better, in fact). I get stuck in traffic a lot, so I'm in Eco/EV mode a lot. I'm guessing that may be why (?)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Wow, so I just read that article, so I can understand how this all works, as this will be my first hybrid vehicle (still need to pinch myself, never thought I would be buying one!).

BTW - is that really what the inside of the Prius looks like? EWWWWWWW, you couldn't pay me to own that car (no offense to current/former Prius owners). Can't imagine driving a car where there isn't a real dash display right in front of the wheel!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Is this really true? I sure do hope not. I understand once you're driving a bit faster than the speed limit, your mileage will suffer, but really, 1 MPG per 1 MPH!?

For every mph over 50 mph, you lose approximately 1 mpg. Slowing down from 65 to 60 mph or from 75 to 70 mph will save you approximately 5 mpg.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Is this really true? I sure do hope not. I understand once you're driving a bit faster than the speed limit, your mileage will suffer, but really, 1 MPG per 1 MPH!?

For every mph over 50 mph, you lose approximately 1 mpg. Slowing down from 65 to 60 mph or from 75 to 70 mph will save you approximately 5 mpg.
From my own experience, this seems a bit too much.
I'll express in km/L,
If I go at 100km(about 60m) I do about 4.8l/100km(49mpg)
If I go at 115km(about 71.5m) I do about 5.4l/100km(43.5mpg)
So I'd say 2 for 1 based on my experience on the highway

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Thanks Claude (and for converting too!).

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do pretty much the same thing give or take 0.2-0.4 l/100km if my sound system is pumping alot of jouce is goes does a little, but nothing major. I love this car even coming from a tuned 420RWHP BMW 135i, I still love my CT

From my own experience, this seems a bit too much.
I'll express in km/L,
If I go at 100km(about 60m) I do about 4.8l/100km(49mpg)
If I go at 115km(about 71.5m) I do about 5.4l/100km(43.5mpg)
So I'd say 2 for 1 based on my experience on the highway

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you want to get deep into hypermiling, I strongly recommend PriusChat.com. It is frequented by uber-geek engineer types who take hypermiling very seriously and really enjoy sharing their knowledge. I learned a tremendous amount from it. Just spend a little time reading the main hypermiling threads. Well worth the time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So awesome I tried increasing tire inflation from 32 psi to 40 psi and so far mpgs went up at least 2 mpg. I have a trunk organizer with a lot of stuff. I am going to remove all the junk and maybe that will increase it even more. Has anyone tried nitrogen filled tires?

·
Registered
842 Posts
So awesome I tried increasing tire inflation from 32 psi to 40 psi and so far mpgs went up at least 2 mpg. I have a trunk organizer with a lot of stuff. I am going to remove all the junk and maybe that will increase it even more. Has anyone tried nitrogen filled tires?
Nitrogen filled tires is a total scam, unless you fear a fire. That is why airlines and race cars use Nitrogen. The theory is that Oxygen is more likely to leak from the tire than nitrogen. Since Nitrogen makes up roughly 80% of the atmosphere with Oxygen roughly 20% it would only take a few replenishments to replace most of that darned pesky oxygen, so that eventually and well within the life of the tire, most of the "air" in there would be mostly nitrogen.

I actually haven't heard that it increases mileage, but I wouldn't be surprised if that were one of the next claims. Might get better looking women to ride in the nice man's car too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
depends on where you live really. if you live in the snow belt, this is next to impossible to achieve right now when its still cold, wait til the summer. also depends on if you have alot of hills to climb up, traffic lights and stop signs, highway only, how fast you are driving (if over 55mph you lose mpg) how smooth the traffic is, whether you have A/C or heater on, outside temperature etc

40mpg is achieveable in warm weather, if not better

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.