1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
71 Posts
Very good article, but IMHO a little misleading when it comes to describing the "flexibility" the PIO/DIO system gives to consumers. In the Southeast, you can buy an '11 CT200h exactly four ways; in the Notheast only three. That's not counting the chotskies like remote start & glass break sensors. Having owned Toyota products for 25+ years now I've gotten used to the "package" system, though sometimes I wish it could be a little more flexible without consigining your order to oblivion (3+ months).

On the other hand, the fact that Toyota max wires their vehicles is a huge boon to the DIY enthusiast. In the past I've been able to add options like cruise control & intermittent wipers very easily & at a fraction of the cost from the factory. I much prefer that to BMW's approach of custom wiring each car to order. It's pretty much impossible to options to my Z4, including something as simple as an alarm. So I'm stuck with a non-functioning clown nose on my rear-view mirror.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good article. My car came in from the port of Vancouver. I had no customizations or any special order. I just bought a CT that was available on its way already. Sounds like cars destined from Maine to Virginia along the east US coast go through Newark. Probably the Canadian CTs come from Vancouver, not sure though...

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, custom wiring mods to the Z4 just don't work well. :(

http://www.dozer.com/crash1.jpg
I installed anOEM BMW alarm I my old Z4. But still had t have it programmed at the dealer.
Also installed a Panasonic DVD player / nav system. That was a pain the tush but definitely better than the OEM gps and audio system.

You are correct BMW's present special problems due to can bus arrangement.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone know how much it would cost to get illuminated door sills installed on my CT200h? I can get them for $180 but am not mechanically inclined enough to do it myself and hate to overpay!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Anyone know how much it would cost to get illuminated door sills installed on my CT200h? I can get them for $180 but am not mechanically inclined enough to do it myself and hate to overpay!
This is a very simple install. Should not take more than an hour. No tools besides a screwdriver (two screws) and a pair of piers are needed. Having a tool to help remove the trim panels is handy (i..e not a screwdriver that can scratch, but if you're careful, that's fine, too). I did it in about 45 minutes and most of that time was looking at the diagrams to be sure I got the right wires; everything is color coded.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice article. A couple of things stuck in my mind when I read it.

1) Do they do any kind of rust treatment after they drill the roof for rails?

2) If a car is taken to the body shop for repair (damaged from transit), it's still sold as new/untouched, right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts