Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have around 18k (usd) soon to buy a car. I can't really buy anything performance oriented yet because I'm still in school, but I don't want to drive something super base level either. From googling the Lexus has great mileage, a lot of creature comforts, as well as hatch back convenience. I was hoping to hear your experience with this car.
Also I'm up for any other suggestions within the price range.
Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Gas_dude,

I have had my 2011 CT for a while and it has 121,000 miles now. It's a nice little car, but a little bit underpowered. If you don't mind slow acceleration but a good gas mileage, this is the car you want. You can probably get a pretty decent CT with $18K. I would say the 2016 or 2017 model. Remember 2017 is the last year CT was sold in the US, but Lexus is still selling CTs in Asia and Europe. CT is not just popular in the US after seven years without a majoring remodeling because everyone wants to have a tank-like SUV these days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pros:
Balance of fuel economy with sportiness and a little more luxurious feel.
Tight turning radius and compact chassis translates into easily manuveurable in areas you wouldn’t feel comfortable in an Accord, CUV, or SUV.
Excellent steering feel and chassis response to steering input.
Cosmetically appealing.
Chassis curb weight is only ~3100lb, and is easier on tyre wear and brake pads.

Cons:
Limited cargo space.
Back seats are tight for long trips.
Dreading the day this engine rattling issue requires a new head gasket or replacement engine...at least a replacement is only $1-1.5k range.

Options:
If you want more grip, use a good tyre and add F-sport swaybars.
If you want more fuel economy, lower insurance, or more cargo capacity, switch to the prius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2014 CT and I love it. I have been able to get 48- 50 mpg pretty regularly. I bought mine in 2016 from Lexus as a pre certified. I have 41,000 miles on it and I have no complaints about the car. I think the acceleration is just fine. My car has every feature. I'm thinking of selling it and getting a UX only because the car sits low, and my knees are bad and getting in and out is getting harder and I'm not getting any younger. That being said, I love driving this car, I love how it looks and other than oil changes, and recommended maintenance, plus a new set of tires the car has been amazing low cost to operate. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a friend who replaced a Prius with CT200 and he loves it as well. I think he's had it about a year now and has had zero issues. Apparently, they are very reliable. It's a good looking, comfortable car too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you want a little nicer Corolla Hatchback then this a great car.
It gets 35 mpg with normal driving, even going 85mph. You can get 40+ but you need to drive slower or be in stop and go traffic. I bought my 2011 CT200h Black,Tan interior March 2014 with about 60K miles for $21,000.
But 3 to 4 years in it has a real bad rumble and lost oil causing the engine to blow a rod. I had a shop that was able to replace the engine for $1000 deductible. The entire engine swap was just under $4K.
Not too long before I had my gas changed as a shop that ended up being real shady. 1st they asked if they could put 5w20 in it because is what they had. I said no and for them to get the right oil delivered and I would wait. I actually could not see what they put in. Then after they forget to clip back in the access panel on the bottom and I had to drive back to get them to connect it. They lost the screws and used zip ties.
My guess it was the oil that caused the problem, so always make sure they put the correct 0w oil in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts