Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a similar statement in a thread under dealership prices but, wanted to get the word out to my fellow CT Forumers'.

I went to my dealer today to order my CT and I have to say I feel fortunate and lucky to have such an honest Salesman. I was privileged enough to be able to view some very confidential internal Lexus e-mails today regarding the situation with Lexus cars, suv's, and CT's.

The West Coast Regions initial order of CT's are drying up fast and in case of two local dealers where I live ALL are already sold out. The recent events in Japan have created a temporary void of CT's coming to the West Coast Region of the U.S. and likely Canada for the time being. The next round of CT's to hit the Long beach CA port of entry for the West Coast is only going o have 3 total CT's! When and how many the next shipment will contain is still unknown. Toyota and Lexus are currently evaluating the situation in Japan and will update the dealers and regional managers once word is sent out from the top brass exec's in Japan.

Dealers are being encouraged to still accept orders from customers. This is a somewhat smart idea so Lexus can get a gauge how much they are going to need to vamp up production to meet demand. The million dollar question is when?

A smart strategy may be to pre-order your new CT now before demand goes up even higher to lock in your price. The dealers might not budge at all off the MSRP. My salesman told me Lexus is hoping this would be the first car in 5 years that they can start getting at full sticker price 9/10 times. After the first shipment virtually evaporated in 4 weeks time beating the automakers sales projections this scenario could be a very likely outcome.

The other strategy is that other automakers may capitalize on Lexus's misfortune and capture more market share that Lexus was hoping to infiltrate. This could force Lexus and their dealers to keep pricing competitive against it's rivals until production can get up to speed and the market balances out.

Just wanted to pass this information on so you guys know the truth.:cool:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Despite the fact that I have trouble with the term "honest salesman", I think this will hurt Lexus, but it might be in Toyota's favor.

I think what happens is that people get fed up with gas prices and reach a breaking point. At that moment, they decide to buy a hybrid. If they were leaning toward a CT, but there are none available, what do they do? I think the only logic choice would be to get a Prius. Last month I was at a Toyota dealer, they had a whole lot full of Priuses. I don't know how long that supply will hold up, but I can't really see any other logical alternative to the CT.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I read, the factory making the metal hydride batteries for the CT and the Prius has been shutdown due to the events in Japan. I don't know what advantage the Prius would have in that case other than perhaps selling more of the existing cars on the lots.

As the supply shortage of CT's drags further into 2011, I will just hold off and order a 2012 which will probably have additional features.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I read, the factory making the metal hydride batteries for the CT and the Prius has been shutdown due to the events in Japan. I don't know what advantage the Prius would have in that case other than perhaps selling more of the existing cars on the lots.

As the supply shortage of CT's drags further into 2011, I will just hold off and order a 2012 which will probably have additional features.
oorr.... they might push those features into the 2013 models..

·
Registered
23 Posts
The dealers might not budge at all off the MSRP.
Just adding that every CT sold where I work has been sold for MSRP, excluding any loyalty or tier one financing offers.
I sold one this past Saturday $38,xxx.xx, minus $1000 Lexus loyalty $37,xxx.xx no questions asked....and I was an honest salesman :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Got a CT200h Premium in Starfire Pearl with Navigation, Premium audio, Remote start, and accessory package for $36,500 sticker price minus $1000 (for attending the Lexus booth at my local auto show). $35,500 plus taxes, title, out the door. I think it will be tough or impossible to get more than $1000 off this car at this time. If gas prices tumble back to $1.89 (unlikely) then hybrids are less compelling and may be there will be a bigger discount off the sticker. I was fed up with blowing $60.00 a week to fill my Honda Pilot at 20 mpg. You have to pull the trigger at some point. For the money you can get a BMW 328 which is a nice vehicle also but you are at 22 mpg again. CT200 has a perfect combination of luxury, sport, and gas economy for me. The time to wait was over. My 2nd car is going to be a Nissan LEAF. The less gas use, the better as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Let's see, your "honest saleman" told you they are scarce and going like hotcakes, so you should order one now. Might actually be true, but appears a bit self serving to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Report: U.S. car dealers raising prices because of Japan disaster — Autoblog

The problems facing automakers in the wake of Japan's deadly earthquake and the resulting tsunami are already manifesting themselves in the form of higher transaction prices on some Japanese cars, as U.S. dealers show less willingness to negotiate downward from the number on the window sticker, according to an AP report.

Automakers like Toyota, Honda and Nissan all say they have a sufficient supply of vehicles in the U.S. that had already been imported from Japan before the disaster struck. So, if there are still plenty of Japanese cars on Stateside lots, why the hardening prices?

It's a simple case of supply and demand, explain some dealers polled by The Associated Press. "We're going to run out of cars. We had five [Prius hybrids] on the ground yesterday, and I don't know when I'll get another," says Dave Conant, owner of a Toyota dealership in San Diego, CA. "The market has shifted pretty quickly and dramatically."

Of course, some people believe dealerships are just using speculative vehicle shortages to make a few extra bucks. We suspect the truth may be a little bit of both.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Couple of additional snippets:

The transmission for GM's volt is made in Japan

All manufacturers except BMW depend on components for their navigation systems from Japan.

Every manufacturer is impacted in one way or another!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a CT200h Premium in Starfire Pearl with Navigation, Premium audio, Remote start, and accessory package for $36,500 sticker price minus $1000 (for attending the Lexus booth at my local auto show). $35,500 plus taxes, title, out the door. I think it will be tough or impossible to get more than $1000 off this car at this time. If gas prices tumble back to $1.89 (unlikely) then hybrids are less compelling and may be there will be a bigger discount off the sticker. I was fed up with blowing $60.00 a week to fill my Honda Pilot at 20 mpg. You have to pull the trigger at some point. For the money you can get a BMW 328 which is a nice vehicle also but you are at 22 mpg again. CT200 has a perfect combination of luxury, sport, and gas economy for me. The time to wait was over. My 2nd car is going to be a Nissan LEAF. The less gas use, the better as far as I am concerned.
How can I obtain $1,000 rebate. I am not a current lexus owner and did not attend and car show recently. I have one on order and is due at dealership on 3/25/11

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Then you're SOL - you don't qualify!

·
Registered
199 Posts
How can I obtain $1,000 rebate. I am not a current lexus owner and did not attend and car show recently. I have one on order and is due at dealership on 3/25/11
Just ask for $1000 off MSRP. Actually, start at $500 over invoice (or less if you want), and try and meet in the middle somewhere.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just ask for $1000 off MSRP. Actually, start at $500 over invoice (or less if you want), and try and meet in the middle somewhere.
True, buying a new car is a negotiation, unless of course, you're at Newport Lexus.

Me: $1000 off MSRP, 3 free oil changes, and you turn off all annoying beeps.
Newport: No
Me: OK, I'll live with the beeps and do my own oil changes. $1000 off MSRP.
Me: What's your best deal.
Newport: MSRP and you have to buy a car from our existing inventory. We won't order one for you, nor trade with another dealer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
True, buying a new car is a negotiation, unless of course, you're at Newport Lexus.

Me: $1000 off MSRP, 3 free oil changes, and you turn off all annoying beeps.
Me: OK, I'll live with the beeps and do my own oil changes. $1000 off MSRP.
Me: What's your best deal.
Newport: MSRP and you have to buy a car from our existing inventory. We won't order one for you, nor trade with another dealer.
same with dealers in the bay area.. =/
what jack*****.. i guess the ct is like the greatest thing happened to lexus dealers for a long time.. =/
on the other hand, i was offered a is250 for like 5k+ under msrp.. decision decision..

·
Registered
199 Posts
same with dealers in the bay area.. =/
what jack*****.. i guess the ct is like the greatest thing happened to lexus dealers for a long time.. =/
on the other hand, i was offered a is250 for like 5k+ under msrp.. decision decision..
In another thread, they mentioned checking inventories on Car.com. When I checked there, Marin Lexus had some premium models for almost $1500 off MSRP! You might want to check into that...

Link to one for reference: 2011 Lexus CT 200h, $30,308 - Cars.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
In another thread, they mentioned checking inventories on Car.com. When I checked there, Marin Lexus had some premium models for almost $1500 off MSRP! You might want to check into that...

Link to one for reference: 2011 Lexus CT 200h, $30,308 - Cars.com
Thanks Kostamojen.
I've contacted the dealer knowing it was too good to be true.. and it turns out... too good to be true.. The dealer doesn't have any CT in stock and that I would have to put my name down..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got mixed info from the 4 dealers I contacted in my search for a CT in So Cal. One said 4 weeks for a special order, another 3 months+. But what's clear is that there is demand. As I inked a deal for a smoky granite premium there were 4 other customers in the showroom ready to buy the car if I backed out. I paid full sticker but got the paint coating and a CT cover thrown in at N/C. So far, in only 20 miles of driving, I'm really happy with the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts