Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am in the market to purchase a 2014+ CT. So far, I test drive 3 of them (2013 f-sport, 2015 base & 2016 f-sport). I decided to stick with the 2014+ most likely, although I have come up with a weird issue during my test drives with the 15' and 16' models. I am also looking to see if a non f-sport may be an option.

Anyways, the issue was a weird sound when coming to a complete stop, which involves the brakes. There seems to be some sort of noise/hydraulic sounding issue when almost at a dead stop. Is this normal for a hybrid? It is very hard to describe but almost sounds like a rub and/or force of air being pushed through the hydraulic system....and it is totally noticeable within the cabin for anyone to hear. It is weird that I noticed this with both the 2015 and 2016 model....but nothing in the 2013. Any suggestions or info would be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, the 2016 f-sport did seem to have stiffer suspension even in regular driving. I guess the low profile tires and the brakes did all seem a bit funky...but at 29k miles, I'm not sure if the suspension was actually beat to shreds or if the vehicle acts as it should (it's been a while since I've been in a modified car with coilover suspension, so that may play a role I'm sure).. I guess I have to test drive a few more to compare?

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I test drove the 2014 CT in F Sport and non F Sport trims, I noticed they both drove firm, but comfortably so. I was barely able to tell the difference between the two, except on rough roads, where you can definitely feel the extra firmness in the F Sport.

As far as the brake issue, would you say it sounded like some sort of hydraulic "clamp" clamping and unclamping over and over? I always hear that when I try to keep the regen brakes going as I come to a full stop. To me, it sounds like the automatic switchover system that uses the friction brakes to stop you completely trying to engage but also disengaging at the same time because I am riding the brakes right in between the two modes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes Raidin, I would say a hydraulic clamp...and/or a tough kick-in of an A/C clutch on a car...or old pipes running water through them that can be heard turning on in an old building...as I mentioned, kind of hard to explain it any other way.

Otherwise, I understand that a hybrid stops the vehicle differently (which can be felt within the brakes themselves), and maybe it is normal, but it is noticeable when coming to a full stop while easing in the brakes. The dealership was not Lexus, therefore, they couldn't explain it to me. Now as far vehicles in general, I would consider myself knowledgeable and mechanically incline but I have not owned a hybrid before. I think I may do some more test drives and possibly speak with a person at Lexus. Any other info from other members would also be greatly appreciated.

Otherwise, the suspension is rougher but the lower profile tires, bumpy roads and the f-sport may play a big role. On top of it all, I though the car had an aftermarket intake (which would pull me away from buying this specific car, since this is not a car to "race" with). I ended up popping the hood and noticed that the filter was brand new, but that was notieable because they did forget to close up and clamp down the air box, resulting in the air intake to roar.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think people put intakes on CTs (like the Injen one that gets mentioned a lot) do it purely for sound reasons, not really for performance.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha! Well, this was an open air filter box and the actual filter was visible, creating the noise. Not the biggest deal im sure but it was sucking up dirty air into the engine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I guess I don't understand. If it was meant to be closed, then yea you should close it like you did. Most performance-style intakes tend to have the filter exposed but that's only if the air can only go through the filter in the first place.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All that the dealership did was replace the stock air filter with a new one...but they did not close the stock airbox, resulting in the roar that was so noticeable....and yes I did tell the sales guy that I noticed it and he went ahead and clamped it all together fully. No big deal (for the most part) but that did all play a role with the how the car sounded, responded and felt overall.

Anyways, today I went ahead and test drove a 2015 f-sport with 46k miles.. but with more service records in place on the carfax. The mileage seems a bit high but the suspension felt a little more solid and there was no noise coming from the brakes like I mentioned about the CT yesterday. So, 2 of the cars had this noise and 2 didn't...kinda weird? Although the CT today did have more miles, it felt more solid like the first 2013 f-sport that I drove. Everything looked good but I didn't like how the previous owner took care of the interior (too many visible blemishes). Otherwise, everything else seemed solid. I guess I have to continue searching before I find the right one. If possible, maybe I'll buy privately if I can find something decent for sale.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yea that seems like a major oversight on the airbox then. This means that car might have large particles and contaminants in the engine, but hopefully the oil filter is doing its job.

2014+ models will feel more solid because that was a complaint from 2011-2013. Lexus says they added over 100 spot welds to stiffen the chassis up on the 2014+ models.

Strange that you didn't reproduce the braking noise. I never tried to reproduce it on purpose, maybe I should try that and see how often that would work.

Best of luck with your search!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts