Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got to test drive the CT couple days ago.. absolutely love it!!
I live in Vancouver, BC where there's not a lot of highways(freeways) or uphills. Since my girlfriend and I love going on road trips.. that is the only thing I am worried about.. how does the CT perform on highways and uphills?

Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
246 Posts
will take a bit to speed up, but once at cruising speed it will be able to keep up with the traffic (depending on how much other people are speeding though)

there's a sport mode to help with acceleration if needed. otherwise, yes the CT will struggle with uphills and entering the highway unless you step on the gas pedal sooner

·
Registered
990 Posts
will take a bit to speed up, but once at cruising speed it will be able to keep up with the traffic (depending on how much other people are speeding though)

there's a sport mode to help with acceleration if needed. otherwise, yes the CT will struggle with uphills and entering the highway unless you step on the gas pedal sooner
Sport mode only increases throttle response otherwise acceleration is identical for all modes.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
990 Posts
I drive 90% highway miles everyday and I find the CT to accelerate just fine on the highway. I'm able to keep up with 99% of the cars without any struggle or effort. I also find it easy to overtake other cars with ease. It's not a sports car as it'll lose 99% of any races it would be in but not everyone is racing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wouldn't consider the CT a road trip car really. It's got a stiff suspension and isn't very big, but otherwise I'd guess it's ok. It handles up-hills fine too, though not effortlessly. If you're really on highways a lot and like cruising the Lexus ES Hybrid or Avalon Hybrid may be a little more up your alley, though they don't look nearly as sharp.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would not get a CT for road trips. For example, I've driven to Vegas at least 10 times from SoCal (~300mile, 5-8 hour drive depending on traffic), but I've never noticed driving the hills until my CT and also how much they and the added passenger/luggage weight kill MPG. CT is ideal for side-street traffic (urban) driving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have to disagree - I have the 2014 facelifted ct on 16" tyres and premier model - the ride is fine and no problem with road noise. Soon after getting it I drove 1000 miles round France in a week and have done long trips in UK. It is one of most comfortable cars I have driven and my wife remarks on that too. You will not get great mpg at highway speeds but it's ok. On lesser roads at average 50 mph then mpg better than 60 per UK gallon is not difficult - I love my ultra blue / cream leather combo. There are compromises - trunk space is modest for instance but it has much to recommend it and I do !!

·
Registered
312 Posts
As someone who makes four 1:30 to 2:00 hour trips per weekday (among other shorter trips), I can tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find a better car for the job in the high-mileage range. The only downside is the sport suspension. If you're comfortable with the ride, it's hard to beat it for road trips except maybe with a TDI VW or Audi (if you prefer German ride quality), but you'd still pay more in gas. As long as you keep it at 60 mph or less, you'll get great mileage on the highway, not to mention it will be quieter too.

Toyota quality, Lexus refinement, hybrid mileage, sporty handling, and hatchback versatility. Few cars can match that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
As someone who makes four 1:30 to 2:00 hour trips per weekday (among other shorter trips), I can tell you that you'd be hard pressed to find a better car for the job in the high-mileage range. The only downside is the sport suspension. If you're comfortable with the ride, it's hard to beat it for road trips except maybe with a TDI VW or Audi (if you prefer German ride quality), but you'd still pay more in gas. As long as you keep it at 60 mph or less, you'll get great mileage on the highway, not to mention it will be quieter too.

Toyota quality, Lexus refinement, hybrid mileage, sporty handling, and hatchback versatility. Few cars can match that.
As a fellow Canadian, I completely agree with Raidin's statement. Well, if not completely, then at least by saying it is a jack of many trades. It maybe not as refined as other Lexus models (read: less silent than other models), but it does most jobs extremely well. The versatility of this hatchback will surprise you. This thing can carry more stuff than my large american sedan. It will beat the ES in that front as well, as the seats don't fold in the ES. Avalon Hybrid has the same restrictions.

At the risk of getting dissed by a few, I would say even at highway cruising speeds, it does have a good pep to pass others quickly. Don't believe me? Take it for a test drive, and "settle" yourself at 90-100 kph (60-65 mph) cruising speed. Then while in sport mode, punch the pedal. I can assure you that the CT's get-go and handling will remind you of much sportier vehicles. This is thanks to a combination of battery, CVT's low revs at cruising speeds, and the low centre of gravity.

·
Registered
53 Posts
For the first time this morning I had the need to really punch it when entering the highway and merging into traffic. Gotta tell ya, I wasn't disappointed. The CT hit 70mph in quite a hurry!

·
Registered
3 Posts
For those looking to buy CT here are the mpg(UK) figures. I do a lot of motorway and city driving. On motorway at 70mph you can get average 62-65 actual mpg the indicated mpg is usually 3mpg more. At 60mph its average 75-80mpg depending on temp. I get 75 when temp is between 0-10'C and 80 when temp is above 15'C.

The best bit with this car in highway driving is every time you hit a traffic jam which you will during day time as long as your AC is off you could crawl along for almost 2 miles without using a drop of petrol. You cant do that in diesel also hybrid is wayyy better refined in city driving and more mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts