Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I take my car to go surfing on the weekends and would like utilize the mechanical key (put it in my wetsuit). However, if I leave electronic part is in the car, I believe it will still allow someone to open the door using keyless entry.

Is there any way of either disabling the electronic key temporarily or putting it somewhere in the car where a stranger can’t use the keyless entry to get in? That way I can leave the rest of my keys in my car without having to worry about them.

Also, I assume it’s okay to get the mechanical key wet.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Andrewa - might be worth checking the Customisation options, looks like there's a "Entry and Start System" On/Off. Might do what you're looking for :

Park up - customise via Disp settings menu to disable Smart Entry
Lock up with mechanical key
Go surfin'
Open up with mechanical key and recustomise

I think I'd be :
a) paranoid about it still allowing the doors to be opened
b) want to be in walking distance of a Lexus dealer first time I tried it in case it locked me out of the doors or the hybrid system

PS Also think Metal Box, sealed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't know if this will work, but try wrapping it in foil and putting it in the glove compartment or under the passenger seat. I am thinking the foil may block the wireless signal. Let us know if my wild idea works. I would try it, but we are leaving on a two week trip and I wouldn't have time until we get back.

The mechanical key is just a metal key and getting wet won't hurt it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Good luck getting around this, if you figure something out can you please let us know?

If you can't, maybe you can just get a small ziplock bag and put the key in there?

I take my car to go surfing on the weekends and would like utilize the mechanical key (put it in my wetsuit). However, if I leave electronic part is in the car, I believe it will still allow someone to open the door using keyless entry.

Is there any way of either disabling the electronic key temporarily or putting it somewhere in the car where a stranger can’t use the keyless entry to get in? That way I can leave the rest of my keys in my car without having to worry about them.

Also, I assume it’s okay to get the mechanical key wet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't know if this will work, but try wrapping it in foil and putting it in the glove compartment or under the passenger seat. I am thinking the foil may block the wireless signal. Let us know if my wild idea works. I would try it, but we are leaving on a two week trip and I wouldn't have time until we get back.

The mechanical key is just a metal key and getting wet won't hurt it.
You also might want to try an anti-static bag. Probably easier than tin foil.

·
Registered
38 Posts
From what I've read (and here), on Toyotas with smart keys, you should be able to leave the fob in the car and manually lock the car (either with the actual key if provided or from the actual door lock on the inside), then close the door. The doors should remain locked and will require the mechanical key to open the door. Supposedly, not even the key fob (assuming you had your 2nd one in your hand) will unlock the car at that point.

Give that a shot.

·
Registered
394 Posts
From what I've read (and here), on Toyotas with smart keys, you should be able to leave the fob in the car and manually lock the car (either with the actual key if provided or from the actual door lock on the inside), then close the door. The doors should remain locked and will require the mechanical key to open the door. Supposedly, not even the key fob (assuming you had your 2nd one in your hand) will unlock the car at that point.

Give that a shot.
This DOES work.. One can leave the fob in the CT and use the mechanical key to lock the car via the door. I just tested it.

Also, tin foil blocks the signal from the fob. Altoids box does too..

A small plastic tub, rubber glove and sandwich bag did not block the signal...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.