Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I remembered a posting from PriusChat.com about the sweet spot for the engine the CT200h shares with the Prius. So I tried keeping the Lexus at 1,800-2,600 RPM most of the time.

I backed off the accelerator slightly whenever possible, keeping the needle in the left-hand dial on the line between Eco and Charge as often as I could (a glide state, in other words).

The combination of sweet-spot driving and backing off whenever possible yielded the best MPG I've had yet: in the high 50's, over two consecutive trips of about 30 miles each. And it was fun and effortless. I was easily able to maintain the 55 MPH limit.

I kept the mode in Normal so as to have better control. I've turned off the car's tachometer so I can always see the left-hand "fuel economy" dial (or whatever it's properly called). I use the ScanGauge II, with these measures visible: MPG, AVG, RPM and MPH. That way, all relevant information is visible in one place.

I keep the lower-right display set to show the power flow, mainly monitoring the battery state of charge.

I'd be curious how this works for others.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not to go OT but where did you mount your scanguage?

I'm the cruise-control type myself, so i'd be curious to look at the readings the car manages on it's own.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mounted it right on top of the dash, directly in front of me, with the wire coiled in large loops and jammed into the space between the steering wheel and its housing. A single piece of velcro secures the display in place. Not elegant, but it works fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow! Good info! I'll try this once I get my CT out of the shop. 50mpg (calculated) is about the best I've been able to get so far over hundreds of miles.

·
Registered
205 Posts
What is the need for the scangauge ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a matter of convenience and completeness. The ScanGauge lets the driver view four relevant sets of data at once, in one place.

For example, viewing RPM on the ScanGauge allows keeping the left-hand gauge as the all-important fuel-economy indicator, even in Sport mode (or Power mode, or whatever Lexus calls it).

And monitoring AVG on the ScanGauge allows keeping the lower-right dash indicator set to view the battery's state of charge rather than the average MPG.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You must not have nav ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I do. So I could view battery state of charge on the color screen and AVG in the lower-right dash display. But as I said, I'd rather see it all close together.

It might be possible to do this without the ScanGauge. That's just my preference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yesterday I remembered a posting from PriusChat.com about the sweet spot for the engine the CT200h shares with the Prius. So I tried keeping the Lexus at 1,800-2,600 RPM most of the time.

I backed off the accelerator slightly whenever possible, keeping the needle in the left-hand dial on the line between Eco and Charge as often as I could (a glide state, in other words).

The combination of sweet-spot driving and backing off whenever possible yielded the best MPG I've had yet: in the high 50's, over two consecutive trips of about 30 miles each. And it was fun and effortless. I was easily able to maintain the 55 MPH limit.

I kept the mode in Normal so as to have better control. I've turned off the car's tachometer so I can always see the left-hand "fuel economy" dial (or whatever it's properly called). I use the ScanGauge II, with these measures visible: MPG, AVG, RPM and MPH. That way, all relevant information is visible in one place.

I keep the lower-right display set to show the power flow, mainly monitoring the battery state of charge.

I'd be curious how this works for others.

Yep, been driving like this, "pulse and glide technique", for months to get in the 50+ mpgs and you get so used to it, it becomes second nature. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
tried this today, was not my cup of tea, could not get up to 50 mph on the streets, then stopping for red light then accelerating like this, etc, specially with a bunch of red lights where i live, and alot of stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Cruise control does not do better for fuel economy. It tries too hard to maintain speed at the detrement of fuel savings. I can easily do better by controlling the pedal myself.

Agree with the Scan Gauge comments. I also have mine front and center. It really helps improve your driving economy. I got the Prius Gen III xgauge codes and loaded several on mine. One I like to look at is State of Charge (SOC). It runs between 52 and 64% almost all of the time. Another one I like is current draw from the air conditioner. It shows you how hard the AC is working. Regarding MPG's I've found a slight variance between the Scan Gauge and the CT's meter. The Scan Gauge calls it a couple MPG's lower. I guess that doesn't surprise me. Lexus probably prefers its customers think the performance is slightly better than reality. Nevertheless, I'm still averaging over 50 mpg after 16,000 miles. This is a great little, economical, and comfortable car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TAZII--

I've been wondering whether the Prius xgauge codes will work with the CT200h.

(For the benefit of those not familiar with the ScanGauge, the xgauge codes are customizable measures obtainable with some programming, to display data other than the dozen or so kinds of data (like MPG and AVG) available immediately when the ScanGauage is plugged in. The xgauge codes tend to be more esoteric than those immediately available.)

Could you possibly provide -- maybe in a separate thread -- the xgauge codes you've discovered work in both cars? It would be a helpful resource.

Dan

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just go to the scan gauge website and you'll find the xgauge codes. There is a set for Prius Gen III. I tried them and they do work. Not sure of the right math but they seem to track right. Definitely esoteric though. There is one for brake pedal force and another for brake pad pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts