Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow CT'ers.

There has been some posts about the tank capacity and when the fuel light comes on. From memory of these posts and own experience it appears that the cruising range drops to zero and the fuel gauge also shows zero that there is still around 10 litres in the tank.

I've noticed that when showing "empty" on the fuel gauge and you then switch off the ignition that the needle drops a fair bit.

To this end I was wondering if this the 10 litre reserve? How far has anyone driven the CT beyond 0 mile range or empty on the fuel gauge? I'm just curious as the fuel light comes on at around 30 miles to empty on my CT and sometimes I can be 50 miles from a petrol station.

Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

Kev

·
Registered
209 Posts
No real answer, but I was chatting to one of my patients the other day who is an AA man. He has attended a Toyota tech course on their hybrid cars. He advised me NEVER to let the fuel gauge show less than 1/4 full.

Sorry, off topic, but how can you be 50 miles away from a petrol station in the UK? Are you in the far north of Scotland?

(ps ty for your response to my other question).

(Edit for non UK users - the AA is a roadside assistance service, so if your car breaks down when you are miles away from home you call these guys and they fix it or tow you home)

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
What's the rationale for not letting the fuel guage show less than 1/4 full?

Does it have something to do with the fuel pump and how it uses the fuel as a coolant? Or does it have something to do with sediment that resides in the bottom of the tank that could damage the fuel pump and engine when it gets sucked in?

·
Registered
209 Posts
He said, I think, that it was the way the fuel pump works (sorry, I'm a doctor, and my knowledge of cars is about as good as most mechanic's knowledge of the human body)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have ran the car until it said that the estemated range was 0, then I drove 5km more.
It was only possible to put 36liter (about 9,510gallon) in the tank, so it should be plenty of fuel left if the 45liter (11.9 gallon) that is stated in the manual is right.

As said above you shouldn't run out of fuel, so better safe than sorry.
I guess that the 1/4 is cause then you know for 100% sure that the fuelpump never will run dry even in bumps and such. And probably its a safety-limit there to make ppl fill up as early as possible.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My guess is there is about a 3 gallon reserve after Cruising Range reaches 0. I've always ran until the estimated range was about 20 miles left, and could barely fill 9 gallons (like around 8.8 or so) to a full tank. So, getting over 45mpg, I'd guess it's possible to go 100+ more miles after Cruising Range reaches 0. That's good to know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, off topic, but how can you be 50 miles away from a petrol station in the UK? Are you in the far north of Scotland?
Thanks. I do go up north every week. If I leave Inverness its 124 miles to Perth which is the nearest petrol station. Wouldnt want to be caught short :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My guess is there is about a 3 gallon reserve after Cruising Range reaches 0. I've always ran until the estimated range was about 20 miles left, and could barely fill 9 gallons (like around 8.8 or so) to a full tank. So, getting over 45mpg, I'd guess it's possible to go 100+ more miles after Cruising Range reaches 0. That's good to know.
This is what I was thinking. Quite a few miles left in the tank beyond zero. Its the one thing about the car that is annoying me. The tank is too small and I feel as if I'm constantly filling up with small amounts although I am putting in less overall if that makes sense.:confused:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks. I do go up north every week. If I leave Inverness its 124 miles to Perth which is the nearest petrol station. Wouldnt want to be caught short :)
Lucky man!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I saw another thread on this same exact topic. I think the only TRUE solution is for someone to carry a 2-3 gallon tank of gas they use for their lawn mower with them and just drive, drive, drive until the car runs out, and figure out how many miles they drove FURTHER than when the computer told them they had 0 miles left (would that be negative miles? ;) ).

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I saw another thread on this same exact topic. I think the only TRUE solution is for someone to carry a 2-3 gallon tank of gas they use for their lawn mower with them and just drive, drive, drive until the car runs out, and figure out how many miles they drove FURTHER than when the computer told them they had 0 miles left (would that be negative miles? ;) ).
Oh yeah..."not it"! (finger placed on nose)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well to answer some of your questions I'll be the guinea pig. I've driven 40 & 60 miles when the cruising range hit 0! When I refueled when I reached zero the first time I had 2.15 gallons left. I know the CT has a 11.9 gallon fuel capacity. Since this baby sips gas I figured I'd push the envelope and go 40 miles past zero. When I refueled I still had almost 2 gallons left. Today I pushed it to about 60-65 miles past zero. This time I had .8 gallons left.
On a side note my 2 fill ups with premium gas yield less mpg. Mighta been my driving style though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks CTSurfer. This is good to know. Did the cruising rand display at all eg. A negative value?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just ran my us car past the supposed computer range still only put in 8.9 gals of gas. MY mpg tootling along on the backroads and byways of Vermont for vacation is now up to 45.5 mpg!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Pretty safe to say the mileage on the CT200h seems much better than what the manufacturer quotes...that's unusual in today's times. Also makes me feel better that the difference between the mileage on a Prius and the CT isn't that much different...I like the high mileage but love the CT so much more.

·
Registered
180 Posts
On a side note my 2 fill ups with premium gas yield less mpg. Mighta been my driving style though.
One of the Lexus notes/FAQs actually indicates that you'll get better mileage with regular gas than with premium gas. The Atkinson Cycle engine has a fairly high compression ratio, so I'm not really sure why.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my CT200H for about a month.

I filled up last week (£46 @ £1.349 P/L) and decided to see how many miles I could get out of it with the vehicle set to Eco mode.

It took £46 (£1.319) at fill up today and I was on 440 miles (total average 57.3mpg) with the fuel warning light on and the cruising range indicating that I could go another 19 miles.

When I had an Audi I trusted the range indicator implicitly but the one on my Lexus seems very inconsistent so I dare not chance it.

Most of my driving is London / M25 so electric mode kicks in now and again.

The most I have achieved is 60.9 mpg but this is driving very cautiously.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You don't need to chance anything.. You know how big the tank is.. you know almost exactly what your mpg is since your last fill up. Simple math will tell you when you'll be out of fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You don't need to chance anything.. You know how big the tank is.. you know almost exactly what your mpg is since your last fill up. Simple math will tell you when you'll be out of fuel.
When I'm sweating on the motorway wondering if I'm about to run dry and stranded I'd rather fill up then get out the calculator :)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Totally understand. Check out my videos if you want. I did one months ago about the tank capacity. I took it way down, with maybe a half gallon left. And no I wasn't planning on letting it run dry, and no I wasn't worried about the cooling of the fuel pump with a half gallon left. Just relied on the calculator and wanted to demonstrate the CT has a good range between fill ups.. :p

1 - 20 of 38 Posts