Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year all -

Can anyone explain the following:

-In Sport mode, the tachometer showed ~1500 RPMs while the NAV display graphic of power flow showed 'engine off' -
that is, all power was being supplied by the battery.

-The 'cruising range' on the fuel consumption NAV display said 0 miles remaining (!), yet I was only able to put 8.4
gallons in the gas tank (indicating that there were (11.9-8.4=) 2.5 gallons still remaining.

Any ideas? Thanks.

-Phrog

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would imagine the engine was in fact running in that you had two displays indicating erroneous data. Arguably the tach is not mechanical and is a GUI display as well. I am curious where the tach gets it's signal from...

Obviously you were in sport mode. How fast you were going?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Engine vs info display :

The engine's only off if the EV light is on ... I've noticed Sport mode hold the engine in idle for a little while at lights, makes for a faster getaway. You might be seeing the engine in a (fast) idle but not actually making any power. It's just standing ready for that faster getaway, there's a half second or so on take off where you're working just off battery power instead of the 134bhp combined.

Fuel gauge :

I think this is a Lexus/Toyota thing ... (noticed people talking about it on the LexusOwnersClub.co.uk forum). 2nd last time I filled up I only got 33.3 litres in the tank despite being at R+1mm (cruising range of about 10-20miles IIRC). I was trying to persuade the light to come on (it did on the last time I filled up) but had to give up and fill the car anyway (250+miles the next day with uncertainty over where I'd fill up)

Anyway - it seems to be a Lexus thing where they give a reserve amount of 100 miles or so in the tank at the R for Refuel point :)

PS 45 litre tank and I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same size over there - I have to think in litres because that's what the prices on the pumps are over here :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Happy New Year all -

Can anyone explain the following:

-In Sport mode, the tachometer showed ~1500 RPMs while the NAV display graphic of power flow showed 'engine off' -
that is, all power was being supplied by the battery.

-The 'cruising range' on the fuel consumption NAV display said 0 miles remaining (!), yet I was only able to put 8.4
gallons in the gas tank (indicating that there were (11.9-8.4=) 2.5 gallons still remaining.

Any ideas? Thanks.

-Phrog
I know that if the CT is still cold, or very cold here in Calgary, the engine will run, but appear on the monitor to be in the off waiting at a street light. Once the car reaches it temp range the engine does shut off, again a Toyota/Lexus bug...

·
Registered
193 Posts
one poster is correct, ev light is the only indication of engine off. the e-cvt planetary gear set can be powering the car via MG2 while the engine hums away spinning the planet-carrier for whatever reason be it engine coolant temp not reached or battery state of charge too low requiring MG1 to be a generator or hvac heating demand too high etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the replies. It sounds like the graphic NAV display showing no engine power does not mean engine is off.
That's good to know.

As for the misleading 'cruising range' data - will just have to ignore that in the future, unless/until there's a software upgrade.

-Phrog

·
Registered
270 Posts
For cruising range - I wouldn't ignore it totally ...

It's better to fill up more often than have to trek a mile or two with a gas can :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same issue. I have not yet put in over 9 gallons (US) even when running all the way down to zero. Just know you have lots of backup fuel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a discussion devoted to the fuel concerns somewhere in these forums. The light goes on ~9 gallons (~3 gallons remaining) because the fuel is used to keep the battery cool. Some people ignore the 0 miles remaining and drive for a bit longer. I fill up rather than risking a fault in the battery circulation/cooling system - but many people seem to have no problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts