Votes: 3 8.3%
  • <400 miles

Votes: 4 11.1%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed over 480 miles today, and am planning to hit 500 miles before refueling, and it occurred to me, what is the furthest anyone here has driven the CT200h on a single tank of fuel? I have range anxiety with that fuel light on and the needle below E all the time. But, I do the math, and know that I'm averaging over 50mpg on the onboard computer, which means I'm getting 47mpg in reality, so 500 miles should be doable.

Do those of you who regularly break 500 miles on a tank, drive around with a gallon of gas in the back just in case you run out? How do you deal with the anxiety?

Hmmm...tried to create a survey, but it's not working.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm also a victim of range anxiety. The furthest I've gone is 460.3 miles requiring 9 gallons to fill it back up. It was worse when I first got my car. I wasn't even waiting for an entire week before getting fuel. So much wasted time.

At once a week, I'm satisfied. There's something unnerving about going beyond the car's calculated range even though the math shows how unfounded that fear is.

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's strange switching to the IS. I'd fill up when the light came on in my CT, knowing I'd have over 100 miles left. However ... the IS tank is 50% bigger, it'll go 550 miles with no light on (46/48 UK mpg instead of 52-54 in the CT). Saying that though, I've not yet calibrated the IS to figure out how much reserve there is in the tank - not had it long enough !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm at 504 miles today. As you can see I'm aging 50.5mpg, which equates to about 47.5mpg in reality, so, I've probably used about 10.6 gallons, and my fuel light has been on since I passed around 420 miles, and the needle is quite a bit below Empty. I live about 6 miles from the nearest gas station, so I'll fill up first thing tomorrow, which would put me over 510 miles on a tank. My previous best tank was 468 miles, and 11 gallons. I've since, upped my air pressures to 40/38, which really has helped improve my mileage.
IMG_7890.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
A while back my wife and I took a road trip from SoCal to Lake Tahoe which is about 476 miles each way. On the way home I got 53.5 MPG (manual calculation). I was able to go 500 miles before the fuel light came on (about 90% highway driving). It took 9.4 gallons to refuel at 503 miles so I had a couple gallons left. So in theory, I could have potentially gone 600 miles on one tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A while back my wife and I took a road trip from SoCal to Lake Tahoe which is about 476 miles each way. On the way home I got 53.5 MPG (manual calculation). I was able to go 500 miles before the fuel light came on (about 90% highway driving). It took 9.4 gallons to refuel at 503 miles so I had a couple gallons left. So in theory, I could have potentially gone 600 miles on one tank.
Haha, driving downhill from Tahoe to SoCal is cheating!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just got 495.1 miles with 9.818 gallons (50.4mpg). If I give myself a 0.9 gallon safety (out of the 11.9 gallon tank), I could go for another 1.182 gallons. So, at my worse (47mpg), that'll get me another 55 miles.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got 495.1 miles with 9.818 gallons (50.4mpg). If I give myself a 0.9 gallon safety (out of the 11.9 gallon tank), I could go for another 1.182 gallons. So, at my worse (47mpg), that'll get me another 55 miles.
Awesome. How are you doing so well with the CT200h compared to your Prius C? Are you not driving it the same way?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Awesome. How are you doing so well with the CT200h compared to your Prius C? Are you not driving it the same way?
The CT is driven mostly by my wife, and currently she's kicking my posterior. But she drives like a normal person. Seeing how my commute is much longer than hers (95 vs 35 fuel ups overall), I try to be more mellow, especially on the freeway.

My MPG's suffer the most when I drive up the mountain with 2 x 40 pound mountain bikes on the hitch rack.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Today I passed the 400 mile mark on a tank for the first time. Put in 8 gallons of gas to fill up. At 51 mpg, I could have easily drove another 50 - 75 miles without any concerns.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today I passed the 400 mile mark on a tank for the first time. Put in 8 gallons of gas to fill up. At 51 mpg, I could have easily drove another 50 - 75 miles without any concerns.

You put in 8 gallons, you had 3.9 gallons in the tank. You could have driven 150 miles more, easy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
You put in 8 gallons, you had 3.9 gallons in the tank. You could have driven 150 miles more, easy!
Yes, that is true, but I said without any concerns. When the low fuel light comes on, I get concerned. It doesn't matter if I've got 12 gallons in reserve, that little yellow light and a gauge on E makes me nervous. I suppose someday I'll have to push it to 500 miles just to say I did it, and to prove that my anti-anxiety meds are working. ;)

StillLine

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, that is true, but I said without any concerns. When the low fuel light comes on, I get concerned. It doesn't matter if I've got 12 gallons in reserve, that little yellow light and a gauge on E makes me nervous. I suppose someday I'll have to push it to 500 miles just to say I did it, and to prove that my anti-anxiety meds are working. ;)

StillLine
I know what you mean. What I've started to do, is to reset my Trip B, when the yellow fuel light comes on. I figure I have 4 gallons left. Then, I drive 100 to 130 miles more, depending upon my current average, usually it's about 45mpg, so 130 miles is about 3 gallons, meaning I have 1 gallon left. If I don't do that, I don't remember when the light came on, nor do I remember when the range hit zero, so I get nervous. Doing it this way using the Trip B odometer, I feel a lot less nervous.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I've already voted but I'd change my answer if I could. Busted 500 miles on a single tank today. I kinda feel like I cheated though because it was a tank of 90 octane 100% gasoline (no ethanol) like the other tank was where I busted 400 miles. I drove 500 miles and squeezed in 9.6 gallons. Anyhow, 52 mpg ain't nothing to sneeze at. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Congrats on making it to the 500 mile club. You could probably make it safely to 575 with 8/10ths of a gallon to spare.

Your mileage computer is accurate?!?

Now, that the weather is finally warming up here in New England, I've upped my mileage range best to 525!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, I've already voted but I'd change my answer if I could. Busted 500 miles on a single tank today. I kinda feel like I cheated though because it was a tank of 90 octane 100% gasoline (no ethanol) like the other tank was where I busted 400 miles. I drove 500 miles and squeezed in 9.6 gallons. Anyhow, 52 mpg ain't nothing to sneeze at. :D

Sweet. I am currently working on a pretty good tank at 4.8l/100km, the warmer weather sure is helping, though I have a long way to go to get the 4.5l/100 that you got. I did get a 3.9l/100km in a round trip around town the other day, but that is difficult to do on a daily basis.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Man, how are you guys getting such high MPG?? what is your average speed? I'd love to know....also, do you guys accelerate like grandmas??

·
Registered
990 Posts
Man, how are you guys getting such high MPG?? what is your average speed? I'd love to know....also, do you guys accelerate like grandmas??
I've owned this car for 2 years and I have finally gotten used to how to drive it. I accelerate normally but many times I take off like a bat out of hell. The key isn't acceleration it's how you maintain constant speed. The CT coasts very very well. If I'm cruising at 40 mph or 70 mpg I keep the needle in Eco model and tether the throttle while coasting as much as I can. If you are the type of person who always has your foot on the gas then you'll never achieve great mpg. I floored my car a couple dozen times on my current tank and my current tank average is 47.1, which means real life is between 44.1-45.1 mpg.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 56 Posts