Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was brought up in the larger topic of shortcomings, but these weak a$$ sun visors are annoying. The may be fine when in front, but when on the side they are 60% worthless. I don't understand why they don't extend on the support rod to cover more of the side? Having owned my 2011 CT200 for about a month now, it's really my only major complaint, and such a simple design fix.

Anyway, has anyone come up with a nice solution, aftermarket maybe? I've seen some, but they are mostly cheesy, especially for a brand new Lexus. Maybe there is another option on another Lexus or Toyota model that has this ability and would fit on the CT?

The other question, is there a feedback method to discuss a retrofit redesign with an engineer at Lexus/Toyota? Maybe if enough owners complain they will improve the design, and make it backwards compatible with the 2011 CT?

Thanks all, enjoy!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Agreed!

I agree the visors are a weak point. A $20k VW has better visors.

The CT visors don't extend and their rotation is hampered by the grab handle on the headliner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, these are worthless! Do any Lexus folks monitor this forum. While there are some small annoyances with this car, this is the only one I get really upset about. It is not only an annoyance, it is a safety issue! The driver cannot see much of anything if the sun is on the left side of the car. I'm suprised this issue doesn't come up in safety tests.
PS. My 2001 PT Cruiser had retractable sun visors. . .

·
Registered
25 Posts
I contacted my dealer today (Hennessey in Atlanta) about this. They said they would pass it up the ladder. Maybe if everyone at least reports the to the dealer they purchased their car from, something will be done. . .Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
This doesn't bother me one bit. The amount of times the sun is actually at that exact angle is very little. My polarized Ray Ban sunglasses curve around slightly on the sides and provide great coverage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The sunvisors are the only cheap item I've found in my Lexus. They feel like something from an old VW bug. I'm waiting for this to be corrected in the near future with an extender so I can buy a set and install them on my CT.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I know it was brought up in the larger topic of shortcomings, but these weak a$$ sun visors are annoying. The may be fine when in front, but when on the side they are 60% worthless. I don't understand why they don't extend on the support rod to cover more of the side? Having owned my 2011 CT200 for about a month now, it's really my only major complaint, and such a simple design fix.

Anyway, has anyone come up with a nice solution, aftermarket maybe? I've seen some, but they are mostly cheesy, especially for a brand new Lexus. Maybe there is another option on another Lexus or Toyota model that has this ability and would fit on the CT?

The other question, is there a feedback method to discuss a retrofit redesign with an engineer at Lexus/Toyota? Maybe if enough owners complain they will improve the design, and make it backwards compatible with the 2011 CT?

Thanks all, enjoy!!
No matter how may owners complain about it I don't think Lexus will improve the design and retrofit it to fit on the 2011 CT. Nice thought, but highly unlikely.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a HS250h right now as a loaner. Just wanted to say it has extensions in the sun visors. They are the cheaper plastic part that slides out from inside the main visor, but at least its something. So the big question is will they directly fit on the CT??? I wish the whole visor would slide out on its support shaft.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did anyone get HS visors on the CT figured out? Any other options? It sucks so much!!!!!!!!! Why have they not figured this out? I have wrap around polarized sunglasses. They're great, but still don't cover (nor would darker tinting) direct glare without a visor

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's been a couple of months.... any new solutions? Aftermarket, retrofit from another Lexus model (like the HS)?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought the Visormates based on the prior post and find they are a an adequate simple solution for a reasonable price. Be sure to order the extra set of elastic bands as it helps hold them on better, especially when sliding them out. They blend in well on the factory visors, one side is smooth and shiny, they other a rougher mat finish. They install in seconds. Using them is very simple, yank your factory visor over to the side then slide the visor mat out until you get shade. You do it one handed and do not even have to look while doing this! Even my wife likes them! The black blends in well with our F-Sport Special Edition black interior and headliner. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The VisoMates are an adequate solution, I just put them on my CT and they seem to work well enough. It is astonishing that a car at this price point from a maker like Lexus wouldn't have simple extensions so you don't have to do this kind of thing.

Luckily the VisorMates are cheap (and they're made by a company that puts disabled people back to work if that means anything to anyone).
Though I'm dubious on the lifespan of the elastic straps. I see rubber bands in my future:)

photo(1).JPG photo(3).JPG

·
Registered
391 Posts
The VisoMates are an adequate solution,
We should all get them.. It will hopefully shame Lexus in to building them in to future CTs. Doesn't say much for the Lexus brand when the other drivers on the freeway see us on the road with these band-aid sun visor extensions. Wake up Lexus!

On a side note I see you are from Santa Barbara.. A few days ago I just discovered the new Lexus Dealer there.. Was exciting to find out about! Just took my CT in for the Exhaust Gas Valve recall and had the 5k service done. I was very happy with the service guy there and they have nice coffees, snacks and drinks available. Definitely will make the move from the Thousand Oaks which wasn't so good for service last time I went there. Saves me 45 mins or more drive from SLO.

If we all get these sun visor extenders, lets all take tacky photos and post them to the Lexus Facebook page.. Shame them in to making a change.. Oh! maybe we could all just design our own extenders made out of cardboard and breakfast food boxes... Post those photos.. haha :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, I get the rubber bands and cut up some cereal boxes.....sweet.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Love the last few posts. I've complained to my dealer repeatedly. I get a BS answer about it being for safety. I don't see how having the sun shine directly in my eyes improves safety or how a visor at the top of the window would block any visibility.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts