Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fit in a new subwoofer + amp replacing the stock subwoofer of the 10 speaker premium audio. As I am using a high level input on the amp, I will use the wiring black/white wire combination of the stock subwoofer to feed the amp. Only I cannot figure out which of the black and white wires is + and which is -. I asked the dealer, they suggested white is + but were not too sure. Eventually they were kind enough to supply me with the wiring diagrams for the audio part, that shows a speaker enclusure which is supposibly the subwoofer box, only the wire colors are something like puple and yellow, not black and white.

I know there is a trick to figure out which is + and - to just put a 1,5 volt battery on the speaker, when the conus comes out you have connected it the right way. Only I cannot see the woofer from behind the speaker protection, nor can I seem how I can remove the protection without breaking stuff. Is ther someone who knows which is + and which is -? I saw fictures of fully removed subwoofer enclosures, maybe someone who can test the battery thing for me?

Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
it sounds like you have the speaker wire coming right out of the speaker box itself, so diagrams will not show those wires. I would agree with the dealership that White would be the positive side.
If you remove the speaker box then you should find the Yellow and Violet wires the diagrams show.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Agreed. I just checked my copy of the Lexus service manual and it shows:

WF1+ : Purple
WF2+ : Yellow

That's a little confusing in itself as it doesn't show "positive and negative" like it does with the other speakers. I just thought of something, do you have a phase switch on your new amp? A lot of amps do now days. If so, then it doesn't matter which way you wire it. Wire it up one way, and then flip the switch and see which way plays louder. It should be pretty obvious which is the correct polarity just based on the sound.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! As of now I can confirm that white is in fact positive (+) and black minus (-). I couldn't see the stock woofer, but I could reach it with my hand and feel the movement of the conus. So I attached - to black and + to white of a 1,5v battery and I felt the conus coming out, so that is as expected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, new problem has rizen. Like 50% of the music I play, the sub performs really well, picks up nice and strong. But for the other half I noticed the sub gets barely no signal. For what I suspect it has something to do with the feed that was sent to the sub. That signal comes from the stock amp (10 speaker system), is already filtered for the lower prequenties as far as I can tell and I think the stock amp leaves out the signal to the sub for certain songs or music. What I actuallly need is a raw full range signal sent to my newly added amp and filter that signal there. So what I am hoping is that the stock rear speakers get the full range signal so I can tap it there in stead of the subwoofer signal I now use.

Can someone maybe confirm my suspicion? And I was told that the stock amp should be under the passenger seat, I couldn't find it there. I have the 2013 model and I know that there have been some modifications to the head unit this year, so maybe also to the location of the amp?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Before we go farther, did you double check the aftermarket amp settings to make sure that the crossover isn't set too low?

If that isn't the case and the amp is set properly then I'm thinking that you might have a better chance for a full range signal from the front door speakers. Being that they are large I doubt that Toyota crossed them over but you never know. The drivers door speaker wire colors are Red for (+) and White for (-). the passenger side is Green for (+) and Brown for (-). it still shows the amp under the passenger side seat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I am sure the crossover is set right, around 95Hz. I have found the amp under the passenger chair, but it's impossible to reach it without removing the chair. How do I remove the chair and is this safe with the airbag that has to be disconnected?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my hands on a service and repair manual, removing the seat should be fairely easy now. I'll be working on that today :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Daylights,

I can now vouch that using the rear speakers to feed a subwoofer amp works very well, as I finished my installation yesterday. The input signal is nowhere near as strong as a dedicated RCA pre-amp output would be, but it works well enough if you just turn your amp gain up accordingly. You get an added benefit that you can control the bass pretty well using the bass level setting on the OEM head unit as the speaker and subwoofer are now tied together.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Leonar, I think you are comparing it to the 6 speaker setup cause what I learned yesterday is that the rear door speakers in the 10 speaker setup are already filtered, probably any frequency below 100Hz :( I haven't tried the front door speakers yet, but as the speaker cables are even thinner for those ones I don't expect any better using them. Now Bill's comment about setting the crossover too low got me thinking, as I was filtering an already filtered signal, I think the compared filtering now came onto about 45Hz which is indeed too low. Wouldn't make sense though but setting the low pass on the new amp to about 180Hz did improve it a lot already. I have to say that the bass on songs that the new sub was picking up well, now sound a little bit less clean and tough (like a little of an echo in the bass), but I am still fiddling with it. The Service and Repair manual is amazing though, very learnful. I am thinking about replacing the stock amp too, but I did found a weird connector (2 thick black and 1 white wire) on it that I couldn't place yet, looks like something for GPS? Haven't had much time to look at it though. Also thumbs up for the support in this forum, much appreciated :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
the rear door speakers in the 10 speaker setup are already filtered, probably any frequency below 100Hz
I don't think that the rear door speakers are filtered. I played some test tones through my new sub, and I am getting a response all the way down to 40 Hz (I don't have any tones below that). Actually if anything the bass gets stronger the lower that it goes in my setup. I think that has more to do with the fact that I have my cross-over set at 80Hz and also the natural sound mode of the car having a nice bump around the low frequencies. My whole point was that while the rear speakers seem to be rull range, they just aren't very loud, thus the signal that I am tapping and providing to the subwoofer amplifier is not very loud either. Luckly for me I am using a 300W RMS amp, so it's plenty loud even with the boost only at around 30%. You are probably right that tapping the front door speakers would have provided a stronger signal, but there is no way that I am tearing everything apart to do it again. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts