Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a subwoofer to my Base (6-speaker) stereo. It's a 8" subwoofer in a vented box with a JL 300 watt mono amp which I tapped into the rear left and right speaker wires right behind the headunit as the source. My amp takes RCA's for the input which I used JL's recommended speaker level to RCA adapters, and I used the positive wire (green) for the cigarette lighter as the remote for the amp.

Cutoff is at 80hz and sensitivity/gain is at a little less than half. No problems there and it get's plenty loud.

However every time the bass hits at a high volume (30-40) I get a noticeable crackles from the tweeters. This never happened before and it's definitely only after I added the sub.

Furthermore, while I never had any issues whatsoever from the tweeters before, it might be noteworthy to mention that they are not the factory tweeters. They are aftermarket Tang-Band Bamboo drivers (8ohm). While I don't think this has anything to do with it, there is a slight possibility that the ohms being different could cause the crackle now that the subwoofer has been added to the system...I don't know.

Any feedback would be appreciated, I'm really not sure where to look as the install was carefully done and everything works...there is just an added crackle.

·
Registered
383 Posts
before the subwoofer was installed, did you turn the stereo up to 30-40? sounds like the tweets are getting some distortion. Did the tweets come with any kind of crossover?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I know the premium system's tweeters run [email protected] So hooking up aftermarket tweeters at 8ohms would leave them significantly underpowered, since most aftermarket speakers generally need more power than stock ones in the first place.

You should look up the standard system's tweets power and impedance and get your new ones powered accordingly. I always prefer to run a mids/highs amp, but for the average person, that's overkill.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tweeters had zero issues before the subwoofer was installed. They worked perfect. I'm almost certain it's not the tweeters, but the addition of the subwoofer that, A. I either missed something during the install, or B. It's addition to the factory system is having an effect on the tweeters.

Also, it may not be only the tweeters, it could be all the speakers. It's just much more noticeable because of the frequencies the tweeters emit.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you turn the system up till the tweets start breaking up and unplug the sub do the tweets still distort?
Just by you install the amp on the rear outputs will have no affect on the speakers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you turn the system up till the tweets start breaking up and unplug the sub do the tweets still distort?
Just by you install the amp on the rear outputs will have no affect on the speakers.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I unplugged the RCA's from the amp, and it still does it even without the sub playing. Kind of odd as I kinda expected it to go away without it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
before the subwoofer was installed, did you turn the stereo up to 30-40? sounds like the tweets are getting some distortion. Did the tweets come with any kind of crossover?
This is the most likely answer. Especially since you said they are 8 ohm. The OEM head unit isn't pushing much power to begin with, and then you cut that by doubling the impedance of the speakers. Now that you have your sub you are probably turning things up louder than before without realizing it cause your system sounds better and you want to enjoy it. That's how mine was anyway. Question, if you turn down the treble (but not the volume) does that help?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Figure out the problem.

The RCA's that were attached to the rear channels, I wrapped the pair together to prevent any rattles. Apparently that caused the static as the two out casings of the RCA were metal. Duh.

I can now enjoy awesome sound! Next up, sound deadening the doors and the hatch!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Ah yes, the cases of RCA cables must be the negatives, so you inadvertently tied the grounds of the speakers together. Good job troubleshooting, and glad to hear that the results turned out so good for you!

·
Registered
383 Posts
were those rca's ones that JL provided or did you have them? You would figure that JL would of left more spacing between the RCA inputs so the rca's don't touch each other.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
were those rca's ones that JL provided or did you have them? You would figure that JL would of left more spacing between the RCA inputs so the rca's don't touch each other.
They were RCA pigtails, so they weren't touching originally. However, I figured I'd wrap them together, which is what caused the issue. User error. =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts