Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
My first suggestion is talk to your service rep for a define answer.
In the old days the first thing we did was put the car on 4 jacks and add an additive to the gas.
You knew if you did not have anyone to start it, the battery was going to be dead when you returned.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Per advice from my Lexus dealer I hooked up a battery tender and that was it. One month to go and I'll find out how well it survived storage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In the car manual, it states the car needs to be driven at least once a week, if not, the battery will drain out.

I would leave the extra set of keys with a close friend when I was out of town for 2 weeks or so, for them to drive it around the block once a week.

232 Posts
You are correct, a battery tender will do the trick. But be aware that not all the battery tenders are made the same. Get one that produces a steady power curve and is able to precisely modulate the exact current needed to feed the battery in order to keep it alive. Overcharging for long periods of time will short out the plates and weaken the battery CCA ratings. Tenders made by Odyssey's are pricey but it is the preferred brand by racers. From what I understand all you need is to keep the tiny secondary battery with enough power to be able to start the engine. Once the engine start the hybrid management will take over to re-charge the traction battery very rapidly by the inverter/converter. You do not have alternator like regular vehicles. There is a comprehensive section in the owner's handbook in how to jump start the hybrid either with another car's battery, or by using a self contained jump start pack.

·
Registered
391 Posts
In the car manual, it states the car needs to be driven at least once a week, if not, the battery will drain out.

I would leave the extra set of keys with a close friend when I was out of town for 2 weeks or so, for them to drive it around the block once a week.
It doesn't mention "once a week" at all. At least I haven't seen or read that yet. I've let the CT sit over two months with no issues. I'm not saying that having it driven once a week is not a decent idea though.. ;)

In section - One - Before Driving - info on the hybrid system, page 27:

Charging the battery

"As the gasoline engine charges the hybrid battery (traction battery), the battery
does not need to be charged from an outside source. However, if the vehicle is left
parked for a long time the hybrid battery will slowly discharge. For this reason, be
sure to drive the vehicle at least once every few months for at least 30 minutes or
10 miles (16 km). If the hybrid battery becomes fully discharged and you are unable
to jump-start the vehicle with the 12-volt battery, contact your Lexus dealer."

Definition of "few"...?? the age old question, but I would say at least 2 months.. likely 3 would be ok. Just my guess though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
what they tells us for storage at work is to drive the vehicle every 2 months if they sit that long. and to have the 12 volt battery disconnected. so if it is going to sit for that long you are sol more than likely

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my CT200h for 10 days. Left it at the garage for 4 days since I still have my old car and the battery was drained. :'( I can't imagine not driving it for 2 months. I am leaving for a one-week trip next month.....already prepared myself to call roadside assistance once I get back. Any other suggestions??? This is quite an inconvenience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just got my CT200h 10 days ago. Left it at the garage for 4 days since I still have my old car and the battery was drained. :'( I can't imagine not driving it for 2 months. I am leaving for a one-week trip next month.....already prepared myself to call roadside assistance once I get back. Any other suggestions??? This is quite an inconvenience.
Wow. It was surprising. Do you know what how full was your battery before you left it at the garage?

·
Registered
89 Posts
So, having stored my CT all summer inside my garage in Phoenix (about a week shy of six months), it started right up no problem and drove just fine. As I mentioned before, I had the utility battery hooked up to a "Battery Tender Plus" made by Deltran Corp. They are about $40 on Amazon. The Drive battery showed about 25% charge. I didn't notice what level of charge it was at when I put it in storage, so can't say how much charge that lost over the six months. In any event, I've been driving it for about 5 days now and brought it in for it's 20,000 mile servicing, and everything checked out fine. So, for those concerned about storage, there does not appear to be any issues based on my experience.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I just got my CT200h for 10 days. Left it at the garage for 4 days since I still have my old car and the battery was drained. :'( I can't imagine not driving it for 2 months. I am leaving for a one-week trip next month.....already prepared myself to call roadside assistance once I get back. Any other suggestions??? This is quite an inconvenience.
Something was draining your battery. I've left mine for 7-8 weeks more than once.. No issues at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.