Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your car has halogen's and you pull up to a wall or your garage door within 3-5 feet you'll see the squares show up on the wall. I am considering upgrading to HID's and thought that this may be a problem and it seems that the OP has confirmed it for me. Shame...I'm still going to upgrade.

Also, did not know that those lights were considered/called "squirrel spotters". Learned something new today.

·
Registered
28 Posts
People... Regardless of what HID you have and what you may think.. The stock lens housing has squirrel spotters. Yes they should be covered. Yes this do annoy other drivers. When you are rolling with the standard Halogen bulbs squirrel spotters aren't a big deal. But when you increase the light output to the HID level, those spotters will throw a pretty nice glare. I have a 2007 Camry XLE and upgraded the halogen lights to an HID kit. I covered the squirrel spotters on my camry. If you go to toyotanation.com and go to the 5th-6th gen camry area and search squirrel spotters there will be an big right up on how to do the job. I have looked at the CT halogen lights very closely and can say that i'm 100% sure the squirrel spotters are present on the ct.

Covering the squirrel spotters involves removing the headlight housing using piece of aluminum (like a piece of soda can) and JB welding it over the squirrel spotter. It isn't as bad as it sounds. But it does take some time. Just picture looking down the light path of the headlight after you remove the bulb. There is a piece of metal that is bent at about a 45% angle. That metal piece has a square hole in it. That hole is the squirrel spotter and that is what needs to be covered.

I'm just glad I have the LED headlights!!!

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Joel

·
Registered
81 Posts
Factory RX 330 AFS HID projectors have the squirrel spotters, along with es350 (same as RX) No glare problems because those are projectors designed for an HID capsule not a halogen projector with a re-based HID capsule.

I have a side feed IS HID projector which may also have the squirrel spotter, I forget I can look later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Factory RX 330 AFS HID projectors have the squirrel spotters, along with es350 (same as RX) No glare problems because those are projectors designed for an HID capsule not a halogen projector with a re-based HID capsule.

I have a side feed IS HID projector which may also have the squirrel spotter, I forget I can look later.
I hear ya. The difference is that those projectors were designed with the light output of an HID. The CT projector design was for a standard halogen.

Joel

·
Registered
7 Posts
People... Regardless of what HID you have and what you may think.. The stock lens housing has squirrel spotters. Yes they should be covered. Yes this do annoy other drivers. When you are rolling with the standard Halogen bulbs squirrel spotters aren't a big deal. But when you increase the light output to the HID level, those spotters will throw a pretty nice glare. I have a 2007 Camry XLE and upgraded the halogen lights to an HID kit. I covered the squirrel spotters on my camry. If you go to toyotanation.com and go to the 5th-6th gen camry area and search squirrel spotters there will be an big right up on how to do the job. I have looked at the CT halogen lights very closely and can say that i'm 100% sure the squirrel spotters are present on the ct.

Covering the squirrel spotters involves removing the headlight housing using piece of aluminum (like a piece of soda can) and JB welding it over the squirrel spotter. It isn't as bad as it sounds. But it does take some time. Just picture looking down the light path of the headlight after you remove the bulb. There is a piece of metal that is bent at about a 45% angle. That metal piece has a square hole in it. That hole is the squirrel spotter and that is what needs to be covered.

I'm just glad I have the LED headlights!!!

Just let me know if you have any questions.

Joel
Thanks for this info. After reading this info and dealing with failed Kensun ballasts I decided that I would use upgraded Halogens instead of HID's. I wish I had the LED's!

232 Posts
OMG... gripes .... this really sucks. I just ordered my conversion HID kit and now I read this. I have done on my 2010 Subaru Outback and never came upon this problem. The HID's on the Outback are bright but not offensive for I never been flashed yet.

One way to compensate perhaps is to aim them further down? Does anyone knows where the vertical adjustment screw is? I see the writings on the plastic cover but was not able to locate the adjusting screw. I only need the vertical one. Anyone please?

PS: as reminder to everyone, any HID conversion done on the OEM projector lens housing of the CT headlight assembly is ILLEGAL, and will expose you to summons for non compliance of FMVSS108.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OMG... gripes .... this really sucks. I just ordered my conversion HID kit and now I read this. I have done on my 2010 Subaru Outback and never came upon this problem. The HID's on the Outback are bright but not offensive for I never been flashed yet.

One way to compensate perhaps is to aim them further down? Does anyone knows where the vertical adjustment screw is? I see the writings on the plastic cover but was not able to locate the adjusting screw. I only need the vertical one. Anyone please?

PS: as reminder to everyone, any HID conversion done on the OEM projector lens housing of the CT headlight assembly is ILLEGAL, and will expose you to summons for non compliance of FMVSS108.
Hookah66, could you repost your write up about the installation for your HID? i thought that was very insightful and your tips were good.

232 Posts
Sorry me 1,200 miles away from home, enjoying my CT. Driving from islamorada to Vero Beach; then to villaRica GA via Orlando; then onwards to Hampton TN before returning to Boonton NJ. Will re- post once I return home. The HID's is a must. Make sure your oem H11 connectors are watertight. Torrential rain & a lot of road flooding here in FL.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
232 Posts
thanks Hookah,

i noticed that my HIDs have purple edges. the lights do match the DRL. but it has purple trims near the cutoffs. any input on this?

232 Posts
thanks Hookah,

i noticed that my HIDs have purple edges. the lights do match the DRL. but it has purple trims near the cutoffs. any input on this?
I just wanted to reply to your comment. I read a post from Toyota Nation written by a member who was also a State trooper who stated that when he snags a car w/ HID and by checking on VIN he can ascertained whether the HID was OEM or not. If not, hen he would shine a white bond paper and by the blue hue he could then determine that particular's vehicles headlights was equipped with aftermarket HID's thereby he would slap a fat fine.

Reality check: in the US only HID equipped by the auto manufacturer is legal, pursuant to FMVSS part 108. You can read the HID bulbs imprinted on the outside lens assembly if the vehicle to factory HID's.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just wanted to reply to your comment. I read a post from Toyota Nation written by a member who was also a State trooper who stated that when he snags a car w/ HID and by checking on VIN he can ascertained whether the HID was OEM or not. If not, hen he would shine a white bond paper and by the blue hue he could then determine that particular's vehicles headlights was equipped with aftermarket HID's thereby he would slap a fat fine.

Reality check: in the US only HID equipped by the auto manufacturer is legal, pursuant to FMVSS part 108. You can read the HID bulbs imprinted on the outside lens assembly if the vehicle to factory HID's.
is it true? after noticing that my car has a purple / blue hue at the edges. i started observing other cars with Stock HIDs, i noticed that C class and the E class has the same blue-ish hue at the edges. BMWs not so.

hmmm.. i currently aim my HIDs rather low, lower settings than my previous Halogens, hopefully i wouldnt be blinding anybody and attracting unwanted law-enforcement's attention.

232 Posts
Re-posting of HID DIY

Hookah66, could you re-post your write up about the installation for your HID? i thought that was very insightful and your tips were good.
Sorry jennyPenny, but there are already too many postings on how to install aftermarket HID and I dare not to be too repetitive, so here is an abbreviated DIY posting:
  • The quality of aftermarket HID is a concern to be reckon with. The spectrum goes from so so to really crappy ones. So be aware what you are getting. I say this because all of the components are Chinese made, regardless what the packaging says. With exception of pricey D1S/D2S Xenon bulbs which are Japanese made. I have seen the kits that says it is made in Germany, i.e. with German components, but when you look carefully on the marking imprinted on the Xenon bulb pigtails (which is basically all of HID aftermarket kits) it got faint Chinese characters. Japanese characters and Chinese kanjee characters are distinctive of each other.
  • I try to stay with a kit that is around 100-150 bucks. And I stay with 6000 Kelvin, for fear to be confronted by an anal and overzealous State trooper.
  • Like any late cars, there are no exposed wiring whatsoever in the CT engine compartment. So I kept that way, by looming all the HID wiring harness. Just get yourself a length of loom and cover the wiring & tape at each end.
  • What I found of issue is the interconnection of the aftermarket HID wiring harness into the OEM H11 female phenolic connector. In the kit, what they give you is just a pair of spades. I made up H11 male phenolic plug, and using butt connectors I terminated the HID wiring harness, so that now you can plug in the made up male H11 phenolic plug unto the OEM female connector to keep it fully weather tight. I got my pre-made type H11 male automotive SAE quality phenolic plugs from eBay for about 12 bucks/each.
  • Once you remove the engine shrouds, i.e. the front acoustic panel, the inverter/converter panel, the window washer spout and the air intake snorkel you now can easily access both headlight assemblies. Start w/ driver side which is easier to be accessible first. I lost so many of those infernal push on plastic fasteners that I bought a pack of 10 pieces from Sewell web site @ .99/ea.
  • While the acoustic panels are removed I also changed the OEM high beams to PIAA Extreme White H9 halogen bulbs.
  • You really don't have to do any vertical adjustments, they are adjusted to the local market restrictions. In the US, it has to comply with FMVSS part 108, which is typically biased towards right hand side of the roadway. If you need to, there is a ratchet type knob on the back of the each headlight assembly. At each end on top of the engine shroud there are imprinted directional arrows show which way to aim up or down. You don't have to do any horizontal adjustment.
  • My aftermarket HID works in all positions of the light stalk switch, i.e. auto and manual.
  • Again, there no right or wrong ways of doing this. It is primarily a personal preference of what you feel it is right.
Please let me know if there are any specific questions you want me to answer.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks Hookah, your tips are really good baseline for a noob like me.

thanks.

i have this purple hue when i switch on HID. is this normal?

232 Posts
You are welcome, and you ain't no noob. The intensity of the "blue" hue is dependent on the Kelvin temperature you select. It gets more pronounced as you go higher K temperature, but at higher K you will loose lumens or brilliance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
anybody actually fixed the squirrel finders?

i'm about to change to HID but i want to know what to do with the squirrel finders. some have posted in toyota nation about covering them completely. i think it's best to have some light come through the finders so you can see road signs better. wondering if anyone has just pushed the tab down a bit to reduce the light but eliminate it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
anybody actually fixed the squirrel finders?

i'm about to change to HID but i want to know what to do with the squirrel finders. some have posted in toyota nation about covering them completely. i think it's best to have some light come through the finders so you can see road signs better. wondering if anyone has just pushed the tab down a bit to reduce the light but eliminate it.
I did a retrofit on my last car and the projectors i used didnt have squirrel finders. I found that i also didnt even need them. When you add HID's you will get some light that will scatter in random places (which is considered glare) but is also enough for road signs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts