Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it might be a good idea to have this thread with specific squeak and rattle issues and their fixes posted. Unlike a couple other threads in existence already or future ones that may be posted that asks, discusses, and troubleshoots the rattles, the intention of this thread is to organize, summarize and centralize an issue/fix thread to help others that may have similar issues in order to get these sometimes very annoying noises resolved.

To start this off with a suggested format, from my experience with my CT, I'll list the squeak/rattle issues and fixes (one per post/reply):

ISSUE: squeak in the center radio console area, particularly when a passenger knee would rub and/or press against the leatherette stitched trim.

SOLUTION: trim removed (pulls up easily), felt added in the clips

NOISE GONE: 95% of the time. Only if you press really hard or hit a hard bump you might notice a tiny squeak

DIYer or LEXUS TECH: got this done by Lexus under warranty.

TIME: 30 min job

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another squeak/fix:

ISSUE: squeak and/or creaking noise inside the glovebox, noticeable over moderate (or worse) bumps, cabin temp cool to hot

SOLUTION: removed glovebox tray (permanently) and added hockey tape (felt) on contact points of the cabin filter cover.

NOISE GONE: yes, under all normal driving conditions, though not validated in freezing winter conditions (yet)

DIYer or LEXUS TECH: DIYer. Refer to thread in this forum http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/le...9117-squeak-buzz-passenger-side-resolved.html

TIME: 30 min job

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another squeak/fix:

ISSUE: metallic vibration/buzzing/rattle in the passenger seat area. Note passenger seat is manual, NOT the power adjustable version. Noise and frequency increases over time/drive regardless of road condition though worse over bumps. Noise NOT apparent when passenger sits on seat. At times, noise not present but after several minutes of driving, noise begins to be apparent and worsen. Cabin temp does not appear to be a factor.

SOLUTION: seat removed from track, lower seat frame/heater disassembled, added padding between the metal frame, spring mechanism, and seat cushion.

NOISE GONE: yes, under all normal driving conditions, with passenger on or off, though not validated in freezing winter conditions (yet).

DIYer or LEXUS TECH: Lexus Tech under warranty.

TIME: 5 hr job including ~3+ hrs of diagnosing/troubleshooting/re-testing by Lexus. Was a tough one for them.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Great write up, thanks Corrado

·
Registered
4 Posts
Squeak from Driver window side

Hi, I'm new to this board.
I'm in Bangkok, using CT for 3 months...and Yes, i really love it also :D

Last month, i have 1 squeak issue and still finding root cause or the way to fix it, hope you guys can help.

ISSUE: Squeak (click sound) from the driver's door when window is completely closed.
Click sound appears to be louder and increase the frequency when i drive through the rough road (I'm using 215/45/R17 wheel spec).
***It will be gone, if i slightly open my window, completely gone....but I will get small wind noise instead.

Already went to my Lexus dealer, they took the side board out and tried to tight and fix everything in place.
Noise gone for 3 days...and come back with the same manner, when i completely close my window...

SOLUTION: Any suggestion ? So i can bring the idea to my dealer.
My guess is...it has to be something related with window mechanism.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
32 Posts
ISSUE: Squeak (click sound) from the driver's door when window is completely closed.
Click sound appears to be louder and increase the frequency when i drive through the rough road (I'm using 215/45/R17 wheel spec).
***It will be gone, if i slightly open my window, completely gone....but I will get small wind noise instead.
I have the same rattle. I'm taking it in to my dealer on Thursday. I'll let you know what they determine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Great idea for this thread Corrado! I have one in the dash, left of steering wheel, near gas door release button. Dealer wouldn't touch under warranty because I replaced interior bulbs with LED's and installed a K&N air filter and HID's. I've removed panels in the area but found nothing obvious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this board.
I'm in Bangkok, using CT for 3 months...and Yes, i really love it also :D

Last month, i have 1 squeak issue and still finding root cause or the way to fix it, hope you guys can help.

Already went to my Lexus dealer, they took the side board out and tried to tight and fix everything in place.
Noise gone for 3 days...and come back with the same manner, when i completely close my window...

SOLUTION: Any suggestion ? So i can bring the idea to my dealer.
My guess is...it has to be something related with window mechanism.

Thanks,
Tony
I have the same problem, also with 17 inch wheels when I drive on rough roads or cobbles. Yesterday I threath all my door rubbers with silicon spray and it seems the noise got away because the door rubbers were more flexible. Don't know for how long it helps, but it is a temporary solution. Keep us posted about the solution from your dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I took mine in today and left it all day. They were not able to replicate the issue. To their credit, I wasn't able to replicate the issue either on my way over there. They did, however, remove the door panel, tightened all bolts, lubed the window regulators, "added padding" (their words) and adjusted the trim at the top of the door.

Not a single sound on my way home. We'll see how it does over the next few days. So, unfortunately, results inconclusive.

BTW, I want to mention how blown away I was by the service experience (this was the first time I've taken it in). I can't believe how different it is from other, pardonnez mon français, ****ty makes I've owned in the past. Everyone was super friendly and professional, they drove me to work and picked me up, and worked on the car even though they weren't able to reproduce the rattle. Any other dealer I'd have taken my old cars to would have told me to take a hike if they couldn't reproduce. I'm just kinda blown away.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I haven't had any squeaks, rattles, creaking noises, buzzing, clicking sounds or even moaning from my CT. Solid as a bank vault. Did I get a good one or what? I bet it was made on a Wednesday. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem, also with 17 inch wheels when I drive on rough roads or cobbles. Yesterday I threath all my door rubbers with silicon spray and it seems the noise got away because the door rubbers were more flexible. Don't know for how long it helps, but it is a temporary solution. Keep us posted about the solution from your dealer.
Already found a solution for the sound into the driver's door ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nope, i still having the problem.
IMO It's really about the window mechanism not the door rubber.
When the noise come, if you slightly push your window out (while it still closed), the noise will also gone.
But when you release the force, it will come back -_-; So annoying.

I will have my 10k check soon,
I think I will talk to my dealer on my findings and let them work on the window mechanism.

Will update !

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought i am the only crazy person that can hear voice/sound. I have the same clicking sound coming from the driver side window after only a few hundred miles. It wasn't very noticeable and my wife said i am crazy. Took it to the dealer and of course they couldn't duplicate it. The clicking sound is getting louder now that my wife can also hear it. I am going to take the car back to them next week. I will print out this thread and bring it with him so they know i am not just hearing "things"

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Possibly I'm just too picky or mine was one of the first built but since the car is quiet, the slightest trim noise gets to me. Here's another one. Luckily, Lexus takes care of these without fuss.

ISSUE: occasional popping, squeak and/or creaking around the HVAC area, noticeable over moderate (or worse) bumps, cabin temp cool to hot. Pressing on the areas sometimes makes the noise as well.

SOLUTION: felt added to small gaps between the panels and LCD display (See pic)

NOISE GONE: yes, under all normal driving conditions

DIYer or LEXUS TECH: Lexus Tech (under warranty)

TIME: 1 hr job

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a faint rattle from what I thought was coming from the left air vent, when I went over small bumps in the road. It seemed to stop when my husband held down the center area between the dash and the window. (There's a rectangular cut-out there.) The dealership put padding inside it and I don't seem to hear it anymore, however, I have another unidentifiable rattle when I drive over bumps, and I cannot find the source. If I sit in the driver's side, it sounds like it's coming from the passenger door. When I sit in the passenger seat, it sounds like it's coming from the driver's door. It's hard to pinpoint because I'm alone in the car most of the time. By the way, my cup-holder is empty. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
ISSUE: heard a rattle beyond the dash concentrated in the corner where the hood meets the wind shield; rattle would occur after hitting successive hard bumps at high speeds creating a "bouncing" rattle that would stop upon the bumps stopping.

SOLUTION: liner on the inside of the hood was loose; clips tightened to keep in place.

NOISE GONE: no re-occurrence after 2 weeks

DIYer or LEXUS TECH: got this done by Lexus under warranty but i imagine you can DIY

TIME: ~10min

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just took mine in for the same drivers side door squeak. If I wedge my knee against the handle area It will stop. Dealer was unable to reproduce.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I haven't had any squeaks, rattles, creaking noises, buzzing, clicking sounds or even moaning from my CT. Solid as a bank vault. Did I get a good one or what? I bet it was made on a Wednesday. :)
Mine too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
2nd Trip into the dealer for the vibration squeak in the Drivers side window control area. No repro again, even went for a drive with the dealer and we couldn't get it. Of course it comes back when I'm on the way home....

DIY advice here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
May have a DIY solution for the drivers side window squeak/vibration -

Traced the noise to the black tape used to cover the top left corner edges of the metal part of the driver's door. The extra part of the tape folded over on the inside of the door (between the metal and the rubber) was fluttering from the wind and bass from the stereo. Cut it off with an exacto knife and haven't heard the noise since:)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts