Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone try driving in sports mode 90%+ of the time? well i tried it about 60% of the commute for work everyday, and notice a big big increase in mpg. once i hit 2k miles i will start driving this car about 90% of the time in sports mode and see what the mpg it gives me.

the reason i ask is because why wouldn't sports mode save you more gas? since it uses electricity to get you up to speed. instead of the 500v of power it gives it puts you 650v of power in sports mode, meaning more torque for the same gas usage.

so anyone tried driving in sports mode about 90% of the time and seeing how much gas they saved? was it an increase or a decrease?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been driving on Eco mode 90% of the time the last 6 months and have averaged 4.5L/100km (52mpg).

What you say makes sense but, consider the following:

- the charge may then consume faster in Sport mode meaning charging has to compensate (deceleration, braking, or more gas/engine on)

- harder to control and gauge the "pulse and glide" technique on Sport mode as the throttle is much more sensitive and the tach takes the place of the normal/eco gauge. With the latter, you can see when you're below the center Eco indicator where you would benefit being on battery mode (below 45 mph/72 km/hr)

Still, you got me curious so I'm going try 100% sport mode on my next tank. See how it goes. Will be at least 3 weeks though before I report! :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
- harder to control and gauge the "pulse and glide" technique on Sport mode as the throttle is much more sensitive and the tach takes the place of the normal/eco gauge. With the latter, you can see when you're below the center Eco indicator where you would benefit being on battery mode (below 45 mph/72 km/hr)
IIRC, you can tell the car to display the normal/eco gauge when in sport mode instead of the tach. I believe I saw it in the settings.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No way! :D

I tried both ways in the past three months, and get very consistent results:
100% ECO mode can bring me 45 MPG:eek:, 100% sport mode can get 42 MPG. (all are real number)
But I would say go for sport mode:D, because it bring so much more fan vs such a little sacrifice!!!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Not sure if any of you have been to the site...but try going to Fuelly.com....I did and entered my car...after every fillup, I enter the data and it keeps track of my best MPG, average MPG, total money spent on gas since inception and all kinds of data...also, it shows you other people's information as far as how economically they are compared to you...it's a great site. BTW, I have my car in ECO mode most of the time...about 60/40 highway to city driving and have been consistently averaging 48 MPG

·
Registered
199 Posts
I recently drove up a rather steep grade on the freeway at 70+mph with cruise control on and put it in Sport mode. As soon as I did that, the motor revved MUCH higher than it was in Normal mode, so I put it back to normal, and actually switched it back and forth cause it surprised me how it was more willing to rev the motor (and use fuel) in the Sport mode.

So, long story short, Normal worked better for going up a steep grade than Sport Mode did... Although I prefer sport mode for on-ramps and stuff that requires more steering feel and throttle sharpness (IE fun driving).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.