Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Sports Mode Always?

Tags
mode sports
22K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  FUEL H8R 
#1 ·
So i think we can conclude that the majority of the drivers here get better gas mileage when driving in sports mode, and the cars alot more fun to drive in that mode. Is there a way to have sports mode on when we turn on the car or do we have to manually switch it every time we turn on the car?

#2 ·
every time unfortunately

#4 ·
I don't doubt that some people get better mileage in Sport Mode, but if you look at the parameters, there is no logical reason for this to be so. The A/C is set for a lower setting so it uses less electric power and thus less engine power. If you accelerate faster you burn more gas, there is no such thing as a free lunch, so however you feel, and Lord knows you should do whatever you want with your car, think about it and try to logically figure out how in the world you could possibly get better mileage in sport mode than in eco. Then explain it to the rest of us.

#5 ·
The kinetic energy of the car at rest is zero.
At any given velocity v, the kinetic energy = 1/2 * mass * (v)2
The energy to move the car from zero to v comes from the petrol and/ or battery. If a car travels from A to B at an average of v mph, the acceleration to get from zero to v can vary widely without making much difference to overall fuel consumption.

I'm not surprised the fuel efficiency is similar for all three modes. Sport is more likely to reduce efficiency through a higher probability of increased braking, but this is mitigated to some extent by that braking charging the battery.

#6 · (Edited)
What about the other fuel efficiency features that are effectuated in the eco mode including but not limited to less a/c? Try switching form the eco mode to the sport mode while the a/c is on. The fan immediately goes into a higher speed and the air coming out of the vents gets quite a bit cooler. I have to think the engineers at Toyota are not all dolts, so if they claim that there is more fuel efficiency in eco mode, I have to take their word over the anecdotal postings on here, but again, it's your car, do whatever you want. I often drive in sport mode, I like the feel of the car.

#7 ·
I spend almost all my time in eco mode and get 50mpg at the pump. I find it much easier to ev glide with the weakened throttle response. Most of the people I see claiming better fuel economy from sport mode are getting 37-39mpg, which leads me to believe they aren't driving the car like a hybrid. So perhaps which mode is best for you depends on your driving style.
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#8 ·
[I said:
Immerstark;1654916]I spend almost all my time in eco mode and get 50mpg at the pump. I find it much easier to ev glide with the weakened throttle response. Most of the people I see claiming better fuel economy from sport mode are getting 37-39mpg, which leads me to believe they aren't driving the car like a hybrid. So perhaps which mode is best for you depends on your driving style.
Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App
[/I]

I couldn't agree with you more. Drive the CT to enjoy it and commensurate with what that may be, you're going to get excellent fuel consumption. Way to go!

#9 ·
I'm getting 57 mpg (uk gallons, 4.5L) after 1300 miles mixed highway 75mph, and city 30mph, with and without 3 passengers

I find best technique to accelerate up to speed quickly, then feather the throttle in normal mode, brake early to capture energy

sport def drops my avg by around 6-8 mpg, which is still not bad

#10 ·
I am in Sport Mode everyday myself.My car seems to range between 39-41 MPG's at he Pump a bit higher according to the Car's trip computer. I find myself driving this little car more aggresively than any of my recent cars it's just such a fun car to drive fast.I enjoy the car for what it is.

#12 ·
My work commute is 54 miles round trip, almost entirely highway with rolling hills. I have sunroof open and no AC. During the weekend when I get a mix of both city and highway driving I play "The Hybrid Game" and pull high 40's in normal. However during the week I don't bother with it perferring to set cruise at 78 and forget it. I drive to and from work during times of low traffic volume so it is very rare for me to hit the brakes from the time I merge until I exit. I have driven a few weeks in each mode and much to my surprise ECO is the worst every time by a solid 3 MPG's compared to Sport, with no more than a .3 variance each time. For my particular commute ECO stays in the 35 range, Sport in 38. It doesn't matter if I run the test for a day or a week at a time it's always the same results. I rented a third gen Prius before I bought the CT and pulled a 41 for the work week with the same parameters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.