Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now into my third tank of gas, I decided to take a ride the other night when I needed some driving therapy. I opened her up in sport mode, and turned off all displays with fuel consumption information to keep the guilt from getting in the way of my therapy. When I finished, my average mpg for the pleasue ride was 38, whereas my usual Eco mode driving usually yields around 45. What are your experiences?

·
Registered
132 Posts
i also drive in sports mode now, been averaging about 41 mpg, i dont think it makes any significant difference in fuel economy compared to normal driving. also i will not drive in ECO, makes the car feel like crap...

·
Registered
205 Posts
i also drive in sports mode now, been averaging about 41 mpg, i dont think it makes any significant difference in fuel economy compared to normal driving. also i will not drive in ECO, makes the car feel like crap...
I'll disagree with you. Huge difference on fuel mileage between sport and normal. Eco I feel works wonders for those who have a heavy foot.It slows the response down and allows a heavy foot person get better mileage. I prefer normal mode over eco cause I like the sensitive pedal feel.I drive with my toes.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Was noticing that Sport mode isn't as keen to to go EV mode as Normal mode is ... It'll keep the engine fired up at idle so the car can more quickly respond to the loud pedal.

I think the economy is better in Normal too. My CT was registering 56mpg (UK) after 160 miles of motorway taken in Normal mode. I'd got the car up to 53.5 when doing that run the other way in Sport mode. That's a bad test though because the numbers are skewed by a little urban running (30miles ish)

I've taken to :
Eco - for slow traffic so I don't waste car effort in speeding up too much before stopping again. (Like if I know those lights are going to go red ...) It's kinda like I know I'm not going to be going too quick, so I hit Eco as a chillout.
Normal - for normal driving. Kickdown still gives good speed because we get 650V to the motor like in Sport, plus the handling/steering is much easier on the arms.
Sport - for fun :cool: The car handles fine in Normal but Sport firms that up nicely, plus we get 650V on part throttle as well as full.

But yeah - I think Sport mode holds on to the engine a bit longer, so it'll use engine when Normal mode would have gone to motor. At highway speeds, you won't notice that but in town, you'll get less of the hybrid benefit and therefore less mpg. Normal is also easier on the arms at <40mph.

PS Sport = awesome for corners. From the weekend just gone, it's better than Saab 9-3 convertible handling plus it beats my previous 2 cars for the "Do I get airborne on roundabout?" test :rolleyes:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same as you guys. I normally use Normal mode. Eco for extreme stop/go stuff in traffic, and sport for the occasional fun. I've found that I get about 45 in Eco, 43 in Normal and 40 in Sport doing the same route, same traffic conditions... I did do a 60 mile each way run in Eco recently and was incredibly careful on the throttle and got 50.1mpg average for the trip. That's the best i've ever done, and to be honest was the most boring driving style i've ever experienced... How I look at it, I went from a 24mpg on a good day car to somewhere around 40. I can't complain...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lol Jimbo - me too.

I've gone from a 28mpg (UK) in town car to one that does 46-48 in stop start. That's how most of my trips happen. I've gone from 36mpg on a run to 50+ and was seeing 70mpg on the computer when in a 40mph speed limit roadworks zone that went for maybe 20 miles after filling up.

And that's before mentioning chassis response and responsiveness of the Engine+Motor+CVT combination. The 0 to 60 isn't quite as good as the 170bhp Focus but the KERS-like boost and a far better chassis make up for that. That roundabout test had me getting up to maybe 45-48mph in the Focus, the CT got up to 60 and could do more ... That's from the chassis being able to carry more speed and the powertrain able to inject more speed in comfortably.

The CT is just in a different league to most other cars in its price range, even before you think about it being easier on the petrol.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lol - there's a roundabout near where my parents live. It's quite a large roundabout so if it's late and there's noone else around, you can bomb round it quite quickly ... (car permitting).

There's also a large bump on the exit :cool:.

With my Puma, I'd be able to carry enough speed to hit that bump at 60mph, at which point the steering would go light as the front wheels would think about going airborne ;). My Focus ST170 was pants in comparison, the chassis on it was so spongy I rarely had the confidence to get to 50 over the bump. The CT on the other hand was rock solid stable and accelerating very nicely in sport mode through the roundabout. I got the 60 over the bump on Friday, with no sense of the front wheels wanting to do something naughty :D

I sadly didn't get the chance to see how quick my sister's Saab would go over the bump :
Slow car ahead weaving all over the roundabout
4 people in the car ...
... including the sister
And I'd already burnt about 100 miles off her front tyres by misjudging the turbo lag :eek:

It's a little bit of fun I look forward to at the end of the 180 mile run between my place and where my parents live :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just filled up (about 6 gallons worth) and I got 34.1 mpg. This was probably 60% city, and 60% sport mode. I don't know how you people are getting over 40mpg. Even when I try to drive super slow, my trip odometer says around 36mpg. I'm hoping it will go up after the break in period. I'm around 600 miles now.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bear in mind that your 36mpg (US) is equivalent to 48mpg (Imperial), not too shabby :)

My first and second fill ups were 44 and 46mpg, that's now touching 50. It'll go up as the car loosens up and you figure out how to get the best out of the hybrid system. It encourages a more chilled out driving style, things like not racing to the next traffic light when you know you're going to be sitting there for a while anyway.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
you should be getting a lot better mileage even starting out. Go to you dealer and have them check everything ...start with tire pressue

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, on the topic of gas mileage, I have to report that my mileage is now going down by about one full l/100km. This tank it's around 6.1 l/100km. A far cry from the 5.2 I was getting. I suspect it's the colder weather here in Central Ontario as well as driving on my snow tires now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I tried driving really slow tonight on a 10 mile drive, and I got around 42 mpg in medium traffic taking streets. On the way home I got 38 mpg in medium traffic on the highway. It seems like my gauges are off by a couple mpg or so, so this isn't an exact number until I fill up again. I don't know if I can drive this slow all the time though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Portishead, your mpg is very low, i also live in SoCal and drive probally 60% of the time on our highways and like you, i prefer driving in sport mode But i average 43mpg. I did go through a learning curve about driving a hybrid with my prius so when i got the CT i already had developed some good hybrid hypermiling skills.
Maybe check the prius forum and see what tricks they use to boost mpg, they have numerous threads about hypermiling.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Portishead, your mpg is very low, i also live in SoCal and drive probally 60% of the time on our highways and like you, i prefer driving in sport mode But i average 43mpg. I did go through a learning curve about driving a hybrid with my prius so when i got the CT i already had developed some good hybrid hypermiling skills.
Maybe check the prius forum and see what tricks they use to boost mpg, they have numerous threads about hypermiling.
Agreed. Also, try to keep the energy meter below the 1/2 way mark as much as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, on the topic of gas mileage, I have to report that my mileage is now going down by about one full l/100km. This tank it's around 6.1 l/100km. A far cry from the 5.2 I was getting. I suspect it's the colder weather here in Central Ontario as well as driving on my snow tires now.
Must be the cold weather, i got 5.9 on the last tank and current tank around 6.0.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm slowly learning how to drive this thing. I got 45 mpg today driving about 15 miles away. That might mean 42-43 actual though since I'm sure it's not 100% accurate. Not too shabby I guess. I'm not sure I can drive this way forever though. It sure does takes discipline!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now into my third tank of gas, I decided to take a ride the other night when I needed some driving therapy. I opened her up in sport mode, and turned off all displays with fuel consumption information to keep the guilt from getting in the way of my therapy. When I finished, my average mpg for the pleasue ride was 38, whereas my usual Eco mode driving usually yields around 45. What are your experiences?
For the first year and a half drove entirely in the eco mode. I recently changed to Sport mode and found out that I get nearly 10 mpg better. Mid 30s in Eco to mid 40s in sport.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts