Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make speaker connectors for our speakers? I have the stock 6-speaker system, and am looking to replace them, starting with the dash speakers. I have done speaker replacements on lots of other cars and like using the connectors that Crutchfield provides. It's much easier than soldering inside the car and more permament than crimping. However, Crutchfield has no info on this car. I even emailed them and they said that the cannot get a car to do all their normal analysis. I've searched this forum and ClubLexus, but can't seem to find any info on speaker connectors.

Thanks!

- Jason

·
Registered
77 Posts
I had my doors apart this weekend and it looks like these will fit.
Speaker Wiring Harnesses For select 1992-up Toyota vehicles at Crutchfield.com

for the Dash i believe they were smaller. I dont think its a special connector though, Toyota i am about 90% sure has used it in another car.

I got the same response from the crutchfield, but to upgrade the HU wiring harness its the standard metra harness for toyota

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! Wow I am really surprised that they would use a different connector on the dash speakers than the rest of the car. I've never seen a manufacturer do that. It's actually the dash speakers that I am interested in replacing in the short term. I'm going to order a set of those anyway just in case it does work. :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's pretty wild. Actually I ended up coming across some pictures on this site so I see what you are talking about now. I haven't seen any speaker connectors that look like the front ones on Ebay or anywhere else, so i guess I'll just cut and crimp.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess so the noob at the factory doesnt put the dash speaker in the door?

LOL, maybe. I'm not sure how you would mount a 3.5 in speaker in a 6.5 or 6x9 speaker hole though. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just cut up the stock dash speakers and harvest the connector from it.

Wire up the connector to the new speakers.

It's not like you're ever going to remove the speakers from the car, even if you sell it.

I can't imagine ever wanting to put the stock speakers back in.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I did see your original post on that idea. I do have a Dremmel, so that's an option. Might just be easier to clip the wire and crimp in the new speaker wire with a butt connector though. I'll have to see how much wire they give you to play with.

·
Registered
90 Posts
It's much easier than soldering inside the car and more permament than crimping...
- Jason
As I've mentioned in my other posts, crimping is better. With soldering, we would subject it to quality checks under a microscope. Yes, microscope, not magnifying glass.

I've worked on avionics stuff and I would always prefer crimping over soldering. Of course, soldering is fine for what your intention is, but I cannot be convinced that soldering is better on cable assemblies.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Crimping is better only if you are experienced and use the correct crimping tool

I still prefer soldering. Crimping is actually better, if you do it right, with the proper crimping tool. First you have to do some practice and become skilled at crimping and you need to buy a fairly expensive crimping tool to do it right in the $100 to $200 range. e.g. PA1646 - PALADIN TOOLS - RATCHETING CRIMP TOOL, TERMINALS | Newark|

If you are not experienced at crimping and an you use a cheap $5-$10 tool then you are much worse off than soldering.connection first

Soldering is pretty simple: (1) get a low watt soldering iron and some rosin core solder (2) slide on heat shrink tubing (3) make a good mechanical connection first, e.g. twist the wires (4) heat the wires, not the solder (5) touch the solder to the hot wires (6) shring the heat shrink tubing by holding match under it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I always like soldering too for most things. I'm an electrical engineer so I am quite good at soldering. For car applications I usually use crimp connections however just due to the logistics of trying to solder inside of a car. Pretty easy to slip up and cause a nasty burn park on the dash or on your seat or who knows what.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone make speaker connectors for our speakers? I have the stock 6-speaker system, and am looking to replace them, starting with the dash buy speakers. I have done speaker replacements on lots of other cars and like using the connectors that Crutchfield provides. It's much easier than soldering inside the car and more permament than crimping. However, Crutchfield has no info on this car. I even emailed them and they said that the cannot get a car to do all their normal analysis. I've searched this forum and ClubLexus, but can't seem to find any info on speaker connectors.

Thanks!

- Jason
hello guys I need new set of 6 speakers along with connector. Is bass speakers is ideal option for $200 budget? I need some serious advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I have just about given up on finding any connectors for the speakers. I have been emailing back and forth with both Crutchfield and Metra, and neither have any information on the car. It's hard to believe that a car ultimately made by Toyota can have such little information. If I don't hear anything back soon I'll just cut and crimp. No biggie.

hello guys I need new set of 6 speakers along with connector. Is bass speakers is ideal option for $200 budget? I need some serious advice. Thanks in advance.
Well getting 6 speakers for $200 isn't much of a budget. Several people on here have upgraded all speakers to Infinity Reference speakers and seem to like the result. That's probably more like a $400 budget. That is what I am going to do if spring ever comes (snowing outside right now!). Without an external amp though I doubt this will lead to any vast bass improvement. I am not going for that, I just want an improvement in sound quality, particular in the mid and high range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts