Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some European countries have a legal requirement to carry a spare set of lamp bulbs around in the car. Does anyone know what you do if you have LED headlights?
Thanks

232 Posts
I do not know the details of what is required in UK, but typically a LED lighting device got a typical lifetime of about 10-20,000 hours if left continuously on. This is well beyond the useful lifetime of CT's traction battery.

Here in the US, Toyota Motor has to certify that all new cars meet the minimum safety requirements of the NHTSA, i.e. if there is a requirement to have spare headlight bulbs they must provide in every new car they sell. For example, BMW no longer provides spare tires so they decided to equip as part of OEM RFT's in every new car they sell; which in turn safes weight and improves on CAFE. BTW RT's makes the BMW ride like a concrete truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bulbs sure last a long time these days, even conventional incandescent bulbs. Its been a long time since I've had to replace a bulb on any car I've owned. I think the last car that needed a bulb was an '89 Merkur Scorpio I had. I needed a fog light bulb. I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse GST for 12 years and never had to replace any bulbe. My Dodge Magnum RT for 6 years and it didn't burn out any bulbs either. So I think the last time I had to replace a bulb on any car was about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
609 Posts
BMW no longer provides spare tires so they decided to equip as part of OEM RFT's in every new car they sell; which in turn safes weight and improves on CAFE. BTW RT's makes the BMW ride like a concrete truck.
I don't know. Maybe for the 3's series. I had the old X5 with non-RF tires and changed to the new X5 with RF tires. I cannot tell the difference in the ride. In fact I didn't even know they were RF until I got a nail in one of the tires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts