Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have my car as of yet but was wondering something about some of the posts about ECO mode...first, most people report having worse mileage using ECO mode. I understand that when you start off in ECO mode and it takes a longer time to achieve cruising mileage, you burn more fuel. How about if you were to use NORMAL mode, get up to about 60-65 MPH and then switched the car into ECO mode...wouldn't that be more the intended use for that mode? That way there are no worries about slow acceleration...I do remember the salesman telling us that in ECO mode, it cuts back the AC unit and some other stuff for the most economical driving of the car. And, in SPORT mode, when using it for entering a highway on ramp, you are already in motion before you switch it into SPORT...kind of like the same thing as what I'm saying for ECO. Also, regarding EV mode...if you are cruising along at highway speed and you let off the gas a bit so it is not really slowing down but more a constant speed, and the ECO light comes on in the car, are you REALLY driving in all electric at highway speed even for a brief moment? Also, in the past, I kind of remember people saying that hybrids do better as far as mileage in stop and go traffic as the regenerative braking charges the battery more etc....A lot of people are reporting great mileage on the forum using longer highway mileage trips...I know if you just take out the car and run to the market locally for too brief a period the car doesn't have a chance to warm up and no hybrid action there...but for a trip like mine to work every morning on a highway in stop and go traffic---will I get better mileage or worse than expected?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
The EV mode only allows you to drive at about ~30 MPH while battery power is charged, therefore driving in ECO mode on the highway at speeds higher than this would mean you are using both the electric and gas motors (while cutting down on A/C and some of the throttle response and other features for a more ECO ride). When in selection of EV mode and you drive past its limit, it should automatically change into ECO mode since its next efficient driving mode.

As for stop and go traffic, one could be able to use EV mode with the regenerative braking to recharge the battery (as long as under ~30 MPH) using no emissions what so ever so hence the better gas mileage. Your gas mileage will all depend on your driving technique whether you have a heavy foot or not and if you use the driving modes appropriately

·
Registered
255 Posts
According to the manual ECO mode is best used in heavy stop and go traffic. I am lucky to not have that problem so I probably will use normal most of the time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
According to the manual ECO mode is best used in heavy stop and go traffic. I am lucky to not have that problem so I probably will use normal most of the time.

I was not aware of that. I just assumed ECO=best mileage. I guess now I will start using:

NORMAL = Highway
ECO = City
SPORT = Will probably never use as I am not a speed enthusiast

·
Registered
25 Posts
actually Eco has a really really slow acceleration, so if there's a few cars behind you they might not be too happy.
If you force to a faster acceleration in Eco I find that it hurts more gas then just using plain Normal mode, hence I use Normal most of the time.
I find that one of the major differences in Eco and Normal is the "feel" of the pedal. It's just that with the same amount of foot pressure, you will get less output in Eco. But since I can vary the output myself without the modes constraining me, I find Normal to be more versatile in everyday driving.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sport = Freeway on-ramps and "fun" driving
ECO = cruising on the freeway
EV = Residential driving
B mode = Down hills, or possibly in twisty country/mountain roads
Normal = everything else

At least thats my opinion on the subject, and what I've done when I've driven the car...

ECO mode accelerates far to slowly for the kind of traffic around here.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
May be a silly question, but how does one go into switching into B mode? Do you still have any response from gas pedal or is it essentially just "neutral"

·
Registered
199 Posts
May be a silly question, but how does one go into switching into B mode? Do you still have any response from gas pedal or is it essentially just "neutral"
B is basically bonus engine braking via the electric motors and brake regen system.

Kind of like a J brake on a Semi, but it recharges your battery rather well to boot.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As stated B is for engine braking. To use B you have to be in D first. Then just shift to B. Yes you can accelerate in B. It will use more fuel if you try to drive in B for a distance. It can be used in the mountains while going down a long grade.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Okay, thanks for clarifying. If I remember correctly when you select your gear the lever snaps back to mid position between Reverse and Drive and I guess you just slide it right and down

·
Registered
255 Posts
Okay, thanks for clarifying. If I remember correctly when you select your gear the lever snaps back to mid position between Reverse and Drive and I guess you just slide it right and down
You are correct, right and down. The car must be moving and in D first. To go back just move the gear shift left and down to D.

·
Registered
170 Posts
As stated B is for engine braking. To use B you have to be in D first. Then just shift to B. Yes you can accelerate in B. It will use more fuel if you try to drive in B for a distance. It can be used in the mountains while going down a long grade.
Yes, but once you shift into "D" and release the shifter, it pops back into the "B" position automatically.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Yes, but once you shift into "D" and release the shifter, it pops back into the "B" position automatically.

One you shift into D and release the shifter, it pops back into the normal spot. To get it into B, you need to pull the shift lever down.

·
Registered
283 Posts
One you shift into D and release the shifter, it pops back into the normal spot. To get it into B, you need to pull the shift lever down.
And to get it back into Drive from 'B' you need to go to the left and down into 'D' again. Real simple once you have done it.

Also, did you notice that the car Arnold is looking at HAS the Trident wheels :confused: And we can't get them till June or later :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts