Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Oregon and while it does not snow frequently here in Portland I'd like to be prepared and get some snow tires. I've had a hard time finding anything that is reasonably priced. The two that I have found are both Michelin - the xIce2 and Primacy Alpin. The xIce2 is not a high performance tire so that will cut into my excellent gas milage...but I was told by several tire dealers that the Primacy is in low supply and will be well over $1000 installed (ouch!). Does anyone have any suggestions!?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Think outside the box. You don't need 17" rims and tyres, the CT will accept 15" rims, for which tyres (65 series) are much cheaper, with a wider choice. You can also go for narrower tyres, like 195mm. Narrower tyres have better traction in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My sister has a set of 215/60/16 winters, will they fit the CT?

Buying new rims isn't a problem. I would like to use the rubber though

·
Registered
180 Posts
The CTs standard 17" tire size is 215/45R17. The equivalent diameter on a 16" rim is 215/55R16. A somewhat narrower tire gives better traction in slippery conditions, so the optimal 16" configuration is 205/55R16. 215/60R16 tires have a larger overall diameter than the original tires, so really shouldn't be used.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
The CTs standard 17" tire size is 215/45R17. The equivalent diameter on a 16" rim is 215/55R16. A somewhat narrower tire gives better traction in slippery conditions, so the optimal 16" configuration is 205/55R16. 215/60R16 tires have a larger overall diameter than the original tires, so really shouldn't be used.
Yeah, I agree with this too. While you can usually get away with a minor increase in the outer diameter, you usually want to stay within 3% or so to not throw off your ABS and traction control. I just crunched the #'s and if you went with 215/60/16 tires, you'll be at 6% larger.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just had a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires put on my CT this evening. Earlier in the day I bought the winter floor mats from Lexus. I'm ready for snow, cold, slush or anything else a Minnesota winter brings my way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got the Pirelli Sotto Zeros, only $160 a tire from tire rack. They are also "high performance" tires. Problem solved.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the checkup! Looks like I'll have to buy some new ones

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've had the Nokian WRA3 winter tyres fitted to the standard 17" rims. Road noise has increased but ready fr snow.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just had a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires put on my CT this evening. Earlier in the day I bought the winter floor mats from Lexus. I'm ready for snow, cold, slush or anything else a Minnesota winter brings my way.
I just had my F-Sport wheels come in and the summer tires put on them and will be mounting my Blizzak WS70's next week on the stock rims.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has this increased your road noise ? Also did you have to change the Rims ? I am planning to buy the blizzak too so need your help

I just had a set of Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires put on my CT this evening. Earlier in the day I bought the winter floor mats from Lexus. I'm ready for snow, cold, slush or anything else a Minnesota winter brings my w
ay.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Has this increased your road noise ? Also did you have to change the Rims ? I am planning to buy the blizzak too so need your help
I can't say the noise increased at all. I used my original rims and tire pressure sensors. The Blizzaks are really great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I could've saved about $25 a tire and went with the Bridgestones.... but went with Michelin X-Ice instead. I liked my old X-Ice on my Sienna so I stayed with the same. My car won't get here until the 28th and then they need a few days to prepare everything.... so I'm smelling the rubber in my basement as I write this. Also, I read somewhere that the Bridgestones outer layer is like a sponge... great until half the tread is used up and then it becomes similar to a standard all season tire.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just picked up a set of Michelen XIce 2's and contemplating getting some rims too (seeing I will have to pay 100 bucks to put them on the stock rims - then another 100 to take them off in the spring) but then have to get tpms and have Lexus reprogram them - or go the winter with the low pressure light on.
Of the people that got tires and rims did anyone not get the tpms sensors? I don't think the light is that annoying (I looked at it at startup) and can ignore it - there are enough lights anyway (EV etc.) ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I could've saved about $25 a tire and went with the Bridgestones.... but went with Michelin X-Ice instead. I liked my old X-Ice on my Sienna so I stayed with the same. My car won't get here until the 28th and then they need a few days to prepare everything.... so I'm smelling the rubber in my basement as I write this. Also, I read somewhere that the Bridgestones outer layer is like a sponge... great until half the tread is used up and then it becomes similar to a standard all season tire.
I've heard the same thing about the Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 tires but I thought they were a better value. Besides, I only need them to get me through two winters and then will trade the CT in for something different. Even with snow tires, I don't think the CT will be a great winter car because it's so low to the ground.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just picked up a set of Michelen XIce 2's and contemplating getting some rims too (seeing I will have to pay 100 bucks to put them on the stock rims - then another 100 to take them off in the spring) but then have to get tpms and have Lexus reprogram them - or go the winter with the low pressure light on.
Of the people that got tires and rims did anyone not get the tpms sensors? I don't think the light is that annoying (I looked at it at startup) and can ignore it - there are enough lights anyway (EV etc.) ;)
I'm running Gislaved Nordfrost 5's that are amazingly quiet and smooth compared to other winter tires, and on steelies for that matter(cheap I know, but getting rid of the car in a bit), and left the TPMS on the original wheel. The light flashes for about 10 seconds at startup and stays lit and does not beep. I don't mind it at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's installed on my 17" F-Sport factory wheels. Had the first snow today and was very impressed. They are admittedly a little hard to find, but are speed-rated to 170km/h (105mph) and are low rolling resistance. I have Michelin's on my other car (Primacy Alpin PA3's) and think that the Nokian may be all-around better (Michelin's may have a slight dry advantage). The tread is extremely soft making the amazing in the snow, hopefully they wear well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had Nokian Hakkapeliitta R's installed on my 17" F-Sport factory wheels. Had the first snow today and was very impressed. They are admittedly a little hard to find, but are speed-rated to 170km/h (105mph) and are low rolling resistance. I have Michelin's on my other car (Primacy Alpin PA3's) and think that the Nokian may be all-around better (Michelin's may have a slight dry advantage). The tread is extremely soft making the amazing in the snow, hopefully they wear well.
Congrats on the Hakka Rs. I wanted them as well but the local dealers wanted about $55 more per tire than the Michelin X-Ice and I just wouldn't pay the extra. I was offered the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3's at a good price, but they aren't a legit winter tire for the bad roads we get here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. Enjoy your Nokians.... if someone steals them... PM me :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Congrats on the Hakka Rs. I wanted them as well but the local dealers wanted about $55 more per tire than the Michelin X-Ice and I just wouldn't pay the extra. I was offered the Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3's at a good price, but they aren't a legit winter tire for the bad roads we get here in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. Enjoy your Nokians.... if someone steals them... PM me :D
Why do you think the PA3's are no good? I've read great ratings on them, and so far on my car they're fantastic!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nokian Hakkapeliitta's are usually at the top of the list for any reviews, especially on ice.

The xice2's are highly rated.

I'll have to buy new rims too... i hate the look of the steelies but lets be honest, putting your good rims through a canadian winter is just cruel ans senseless :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts