Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Lexus CT200h Business Line Pro , 2011, Tungsten Pearl
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous car had a comfort flasher. I never gave it much thought but the 2011 CT doesn't have this and after 4 months of driving it was something I missed in this car.

Fortunately there was a detailed step by step on this forum

I ordered the SmartTap from Diode Dynamics and swapped my relay for this one.

I know it's already been described in detail, but my install was a little bit different.
The location of the flasher relay is indeed really hard to get to. The only way to reach it is from underneath the left panel.

Relay location:

I took the panel off just to see if I could see it from there but it is hidden way back there so couldn't see the relay.
I put the panel back in place because it doesn't have to be taken off to remove the relay.

So with my hazards on to feel and hear the relay, I laid on my back with my head under the break pedal looking up and I reached my arm up to feel the position of the relay. In my case the position was different than in the linked post.

I had to slide it towards the center of the car, instead of tho the back of the car.

This was the position if you where able to look down from on top of the dashboard.

Bottom view where it slides off.

I was prepared for it to be very hard to slide off, but once I knew which way it had to slide I just applied some force with my fingers and it came off in the first try!! (y)

Replaced the original one with the SmartTap and ziptied the cable and relay to some metal part underneath the panel, Done! All in all it took me about 30 minutes and that is only because I took the panel off first to look for the relay.

Ok, so what do I have now?
- Comfort flash; tap the stalk and the blinker will flash 4 times (programmable up to 9 times)

- Hazard lights can be set to normal, slo-mo, strobe or wig-wag.... Yes you guessed right, mine is set to normal :giggle:

- Arrival and departure lights. Now this is a practical feature I like.
When I unlock the car, my flashers stay lit for 10 seconds. Same thing when you lock the car. You can set the time you want it to stay lit from 10 to 90 seconds. Just gives you that extra light when you parked in a dark spot.
Kind of "follow me home/find my car" thing.

Programming is easily done with the stalk inside the car so no need to get to the relay again.

Simple mod, but I think it's worth it!

·
Super Moderator
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
193 Posts
My previous car had a comfort flasher.

Ok, so what do I have now?
- Comfort flash; tap the stalk and the blinker will flash 4 times (programmable up to 9 times)
Interesting. My 2016 CT has the "tap to pass" built in, which is customizable on the screen. I have mine set to 5 flashes. I'm surprised to hear that all CTs didn't have this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that is correct, the "tap to pass" was not available on the early pre face lift models and were only a built in feature in all 2014 and up models ( so I was told by dealer)

I haven't changes my bulbs to LED but since this relay is made to work with LED, my guess is that it won't hyperflash.
Now that you mentioned it I think I will change my bulbs to LED too.
Not that I'm not happy with the way it is now, but it probably looks better if all liights are LED :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Planning to buy it. Wanted to know if you upgraded your bulbs to LED too? Does it hyperflash?
I just saw in the other thread that you already switched to a LED relay. (y)
Does that one also have the tap-to-pass and extra features like the one I have or is it just for the LED compatibility?

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
The Smart Tap unit from DiodeDynamics works great with LED bulbs. I have an older unit from AutoWindow from my previous car that I could put into the CT, but I'm not sure the extra functions are worth it. But, I did get some Vtriton V6 extreme bulbs for the turn signals already, so if they make the hyperflash, then I'll have to replace the flasher anyway, even though I already have tap-to-pass. Or, the stock flasher relay is mod-able to not hyperflash for free.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does every feature work on your car? I read that in some cases the "lock/unlock flashers-on" did not work.
Hope it wasn't too hard to get to the relay :)

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
Does every feature work on your car? I read that in some cases the "lock/unlock flashers-on" did not work.
Hope it wasn't too hard to get to the relay :)

Cheers!
I just now saw this post for some reason. I was attempting to remove the stock relay using all of the instructions everyone's doing online, but mine will not come off. I tried for an hour lol. So I'm unable to use the new flasher. I really hate having to use resistors, but I'm going to have to buy those after all.

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
425 Posts
I just now saw this post for some reason. I was attempting to remove the stock relay using all of the instructions everyone's doing online, but mine will not come off. I tried for an hour lol. So I'm unable to use the new flasher. I really hate having to use resistors, but I'm going to have to buy those after all.
Was your LED hyper flashing without resistor? I replaced mine but it was fine without resistor. Some have internal resistors.

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
Was your LED hyper flashing without resistor? I replaced mine but it was fine without resistor. Some have internal resistors.
I was able to put the front LED in without a hyperflash, but not both. The Tritons don't have built-in resistors, but there are some plug-in resistors available for the system. I'm all sore today from trying to get it out, but I'm going to try again with a pocket knife lol

·
Registered
2015 eminent white pearl
425 Posts
I was able to put the front LED in without a hyperflash, but not both. The Tritons don't have built-in resistors, but there are some plug-in resistors available for the system. I'm all sore today from trying to get it out, but I'm going to try again with a pocket knife lol
Did you buy the relay that is linked in the previous comments? I remember that is wasn't for any car above 2013.

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
Did you buy the relay that is linked in the previous comments? I remember that is wasn't for any car above 2013.
As I mentioned above, the unit I have is from Autowindow, which was the original maker of any sort of "smart tap" relay. DD came along later. But the Autowindow guy died.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
lol no I gave up after an hour of trying to remove the stock unit. It wouldn't budge from the harness it's clipped into, and I couldn't get the connector out of it
You probably already checked and re-checked, but were you able to feel/determine which way the relay should slide off in your car? Just asking because mine had to slide towards the centerconsole side whereas the one in the older post I linked had to slide towards the engine-side. Guess I was lucky it just took me 5 minutes and it slid off in the first try.

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
You probably already checked and re-checked, but were you able to feel/determine which way the relay should slide off in your car? Just asking because mine had to slide towards the driverside door whereas the one in the older post I linked had to slide towards the engine-side. Guess I was lucky it just took me 5 minutes and it slid off in the first try.
Well, in your post and pictures, you show sliding it towards the center of the car. I could definitely feel the wire harness going towards the driver door side of the car, and knew it had to slide towards the center. I checked the posts on here again and saw the mistakes, but yes I was moving it all around. I can tell what is supposed to happen, but alas I have no way to get myself up there enough to make it happen. Perhaps my car is too new/young with only 27k miles and the plastic is still too fresh and hard. I think I'll try again with a pocket knife once my back stops being sore from being bent over the door sill for an hour lol

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@TobiasSing You are correct, my mistake! Mine came off sliding it towards the center console. Editied my post already.
Yeah sounds like yours sits in the same position as mine with the wires coming into the relay from the side of the driver door. Good luck on the next try!

·
Super Moderator
193 Posts
Well, after taking enough time for my back, arm and ego to recover from the last attempt, I spent another hour on it today. I tried using two pocket knives with several attachments and angles. I even tried the mechanical key from the fab. I was able to get a very sharp flat blade screwdriver up there and wedge it in and still no success. It was making no sense. I knew exactly what had to be done and why, but I couldn't get something in there to unclip it. But I don't give up easily, and eventually I WAS able to remove it pretty easily by putting the screwdriver towards the side/corner of the relay, and not in the middle where the clip is. Lifting/separating from the side/angle/corner made it pop right out with a little push towards the center of the car. The screwdriver inserts from the center of the vehicle pointing towards the driver's doorside, opposite the direction you push to unclip it.

Then I was able to fish down the wires enough and the relay basically just fell off the harness somehow, despite my attempts to just unclip the harness and leave the relay up there.

Old vs new (which is actually older lol) and the screwdriver.

Originally, I was trying to push in the screwdriver where the red arrow inserts, towards the clip. But this wasn't able to do anything. But inserting and prying from the blue arrow position is what did it.

Now looking up from under the dash from my perspective. There is no visibility, no light, and no way to see at all. However, I was able to use both hands (only a few fingers though) thanks to the long screwdriver and eventually it popped out. Now the new unit is in and ziptied in place to a wire harness (red arrows point to the flasher).

And lo, it works! It still retains all the settings from when I used it in my previous car (strobing hazard mode, 5 blink signal) and it doesn't interfere with the 2015+ settings for the one-touch signal. I had the car already programmed to 5 blinks, and it still blinks 5 times just fine. I worried there might be some incompatibility between the two systems trying to do the same thing, but it's flawless.

Now to take another few days to recover my arms and back. At least my ego is good this time! lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts