Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I wanted to add a smart card and get a key made for my 2011 CT200h.

IMG_20140606_173141.jpg IMG_20140606_173155.jpg

My transmitter FCCID is HYQ14AAB.
I bought one on ebay, but the person lied in the auction and sent me a HYQ14AEB which might have worked, but since it was used it would not add using techstream without a seed code. I just returned it to the seller since they lied about the FCC ID and I bought through another vendor.
They ended up sending me a Smart Card with the FCC ID HYQ14ABB. It would not program at first. I bought a new battery and then it programmed and now works. I can confirm that a smart card HYQ14ABB works if you have a HYQ14AAB transmitter. Just dont buy a used key unless you are getting programmed at the dealer or know how you can get the seed code to reset your car key activation.

Now for the smart key, I went to Westside Lexus in Houston. Their tech ordered a key and I came back a week later. He cut the key and I went to my car in the parking lot and tried it. Their key did not work.
I go back inside and state how it does not work and if you compare their key to my original key, their key was cut to a mirrored image of my key. They must be able to accidentally cut a key to a mirror image if they setup their cutter wrong.
The tech then blames me saying that he cut it to the VIN so I must have changed the locks. Then he says the smart card key is not meant for a CT200h so I should not have ordered it. He blamed me and he refused to try again. I took my refund and left. The guy was completely incompetent.

I instead order online with Sewell through their website as they claim the card key works for a CT200h. They cut the key to my VIN and mailed it to me. I matched it up to my key and it was made correctly. I tried it in my door and it works perfectly. The part number for Sewell's key was exactly the same as the part number that Westside Lexus bought and failed at cutting so it definitely was not a case of the wrong key blank.

I sent an email to Westside Lexus telling them what happened and how Sewell had no problems making a key that worked. I also stated they need training for their techs on how to cut keys.

Either way the new smart card was $230 through an ebay vendor, the techstream cable was $37 through ebay, the smart card key and cutting was $57 from Sewell.

This is the techstream cable: 2014 Latest Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable for Toyota Lexus Scion Tis Techstream | eBay
Smart Card: Lexus CT200H 2011 2014 Smart Key Card | eBay
Smart Card Key: 2011 CT200h: Key - Smart Card Key - Only our genuine Lexus parts and accessories are designed and manufactured with the same level of workmanship as the Lexus you're driving. When using genuine Lexus OEM parts and accessories, you can trust that they

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only problem was my local dealer having someone who did not know how to use the key machine properly and then who tried to blame me while refusing to cut another key correctly.
Sewell had no problems cutting the correct backup key.

The smart card programmed on the first try with a brand new battery using techstream myself without going through the dealer. The cable only costs $37 and takes two weeks to get from china.

I say having a smart card that fits in your wallet is worth it vs carrying around the thick button remote.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I already have too many cards in my wallet, don't need it bulked up any more, plus I carry my home keys anyways, so no biggie to have the fob with it.

Glad to see you got it resolved and working, though :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've thought about getting one to stick to the back of my phone to make the phone kind of like the car key. The only downside is not having the ability to hit the lock and unlock while away from the car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Would you mind posting a link to everything you need to get the key card working? If you can include a guide on how to program it, it would be greatly appreciated. My dealer basically says they refused to do it, they said they will take my money to fail at it. No thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You need:

1) A new (unused) smart key or card key, but from a vendor that can verify the FCC ID on the new one will work for your car. I used: Lexus CT200H 2011 2014 Smart Key Card | eBay
If you want to program another regular smart key instead of the card key, the procedure is the same. Just make sure to match up the FCC with your current smart keys.
2) The Toyota Techstream cable and software: 2014 Latest Mini VCI Diagnostic Tool Cable for Toyota Lexus Scion Tis Techstream | eBay
3) A current working smart key for your car.
4) a new battery for the smart card, the one I had either was dead or weak so I needed a new battery. The Smart Card battery is CR2412 and I would go ahead and change it before programming. The only local place that stocked it was Batteries Plus and mine only had one in stock. So buy it online when you buy your card key so you have it ready to go.

Optional) Also if you want the little backup key, then buy through sewell. My local lexus dealer cut the key wrong and then acted like I was wrong for trying to use that key for my car. Buy the backup key from here: 2011 CT200h: Key - Smart Card Key - Only our genuine Lexus parts and accessories are designed and manufactured with the same level of workmanship as the Lexus you're driving. When using genuine Lexus OEM parts and accessories, you can trust that they
I emailed Sewell a picture of the cut on my current key and asked them to verify the key they cut matches before they ship it to me.

Once you have everything, install the driver for the USB cable and start the software, go into the "smart key" option in the techstream software and follow along with exactly what it tells you. (the ebay link comes with a cd with the driver and techstream software)

It will basically make you do this:
1. Touch your original key to the smart button and then remove it from the car.
2. Touch the new key to the start button.
3. Place the new key on the passenger seat.
4. Then it will confirm it programmed the key.

The process took me less than 2 minutes.

It has prompts and pictures in the software.
If you want to pay the dealer to do this then print these instructions out and say some random guy online was able to program a smart card key himself so they should be able to do it.
If they fail at it then I would not pay them. They are supposed to be experts.
------------------------------------
If you want to use a used/previously programmed smart key from another car, then you need a special seed key code.
Only dealers and a few 3rd parties can get the seed code.
------------------------------------

If buying from sewell you need to make a forum account at www.clublexus.com and add your club lexus username in your Sewell account. This will automatically give you discount on sewell's website.

Sewell sells the card backup key and cutting it for $56.55 w/ discount.
Sewell sells the smart card for $232.91 w/ discount
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Keys/CT200h-2011.html
(the ebay smart card was $230, so you might as well buy it all from sewell with the discounts if you dont want to go through an ebay vendor)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Great write up. Just 1 more question, where do you plug the wire to the car? Thanks! (after some googling, it looks like it is above the emergency parking brake. Google says it is uncovered and just get under the steering column and look up. You should see the white OBD11 port. I will check later.)

Also, the FCC ID on my current key is HYQ14ACX. Is this the same as yours?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My regular smart key is HYQ14AAB. The key card I bought through the ebay vendor is HYQ14ABB. They said it would work by looking it up by my VIN number and it did work.
The nice part is the ebay vendor will verify it will work by your VIN and then let you return it if it does not work.
Give them your VIN number and your current FCC ID.

The cable plugs into the ODB2 port under your dash. FYI, the cable has a tabs at the end that locks it onto the port. It is best to pre cut the tabs on the end so you can easily pull off the cable. The cable was very hard to remove, but once I put a cut in the tab then it came off easy.
The port is right above the ebrake under the dash.

Also this forum Lexus Credit Card Smart Key | PriusChat
Claims that this card P/N 89994-48142 FCCID HYQ14AEB will work with HYQ14ACX. I say just buy a from a vendor that says they will verify it will work by your VIN number.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I saw that same post and actually got the AEB. There was another post on ct200h forums where someone got the aeb working with an '11 ct so I'm just going to dive in head first and hope it works. Thanks for the follow up!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you have a new battery? A weak or dead battery will stop it from working.
Also make sure you have no other keys in the car, no cell phone, no wifi devices, nothing that transmits as those can jam the keys signal.

Also, do you know if your key is brand new or if it is a used one?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I had a used key, when I put it on the seat to read it would give a error saying unsuccessful.
When I had a new key with a new battery it programmed without any errors.

Who did you buy from? Do you have a link if it was on ebay?
If you have a used key you need to get your money back and get a new one or pay the dealer an hour of labor to active the used key.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Can't get money back. Seller is being a jerk about it and ebay sided with him on the case. They said that it doesn't matter that it was listed as brand new in original packaging and that wasn't how I received it. It doesn't matter that I messaged him when I received it with concerns of it being new since it had slight scuff marks. It doesn't matter the seller guaranteed me it was brand new and never programmed. It only matters that I took it and tried to program it. This means I accept the item as is. Screw ebay and this seller. It fails when placed on passenger seat. It will read within 3-5 seconds and give an error. So I am screwed out of at least $100 after I sell this used junk.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It was an individual and he's quite a donkey. Just so everyone knows, ebay technicality, if you take it to install it, you accept it as is. So if it doesn't come in the OEM bubble wrap, send it right back. I just learned it the hard way.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The first one I bought on ebay was 'not as described' from just a person and I returned it to them and they gave me a refund.
I then bought from a company that sold on ebay that verified FCC IDs and the cars VIN number.

In your case if the seller's listing says it was new and you know it is not new since it wont sync then you 100% entitled to a refund. You should contact the seller and ship it back with a tracking number. Get your money back and buy from either a lexus dealer or from the same person I bought through on ebay that will verify your vin number.
This is a key, there is nothing to install so you are not accepting anything as is. You really need to get your refund if the seller lied in their auction.
I did warn you about getting a new one and making sure the FCC ID worked with your car in my first post.
All that matters is if the auction says it is brand new. You can call Ebay, as they have their "buyer protection guarantee".

Also if you claim was lost, then log into your ebay acccount, go back to the claim, and click the "appeal" button and reopen the case.
Make sure to state that the auction said it was new and unused and you found that it was physically damaged and since it is not new it will not sync with your car. Make it clear that used keys cannot be reused and the seller lied.
State you will ship it back to the seller with tracking, but they need to give you a refund for selling you a used item as new.

If the appeal is lost then you can call ebays 1800 number and bitch until they give you your money back under the "buyer protection guarantee".
Either way you should be getting your money back, but you must be strict in what you say and give no room for interpretation.

Examples are dont say "it looked or might be used". You need to say "It was used and wont sync to my car. The seller lied".

Also the new one I bought on ebay did not come in OEM bubble wrap. It came in a small colored plastic sleeve inside bubble wrap in a box.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts