Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...when you have been out driving for awhile and you keep the speed at a maximum of about 42 MPH, the EV light comes on in the bottom left of speedometer display area...and, the meter on the right is all the way up as far as instantaneous MPG...are you actually driving in 100% electric mode or just assisted by electric? And, if this is the case, why would I have to push the EV button at slower speeds if my car is already in electric mode when I'm driving about 25 MPH or less? Just wondering...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I usually refer to this screen with driving.

With the battery adequately charged and the EV light ON around 35-40MPH, you can start driving using battery power. Confirming this with this display screen

Idealy you use the EV button when driving short distance as in a parking lot or garage driveway.

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
Okay...when you have been out driving for awhile and you keep the speed at a maximum of about 42 MPH, the EV light comes on in the bottom left of speedometer display area...and, the meter on the right is all the way up as far as instantaneous MPG...are you actually driving in 100% electric mode or just assisted by electric? And, if this is the case, why would I have to push the EV button at slower speeds if my car is already in electric mode when I'm driving about 25 MPH or less? Just wondering...
EV means your car is an Electric Vehicle. When that light is on, as I understand it, all the power for your car is coming from the electric engine, not the ICE. I don't think you do have to push the EV button unless you want to try to avoid inadvertently going into the ICE if you accelerate, although even with the EV button pushed it might still override your desires and go into the gas engine if you demand more than the electric engine can produce.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Best use of the EV button is allowing you to maneuver the car in your driveway or into and out of the Garage without allowing the gas engine to warm up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you have just gone down a hill and the battery is fully recharged you can drive on fairly level ground up to about 35-40 mph on all electric for a mile or more. This is when the green EV light comes on. You are only on the battery so your driving technically "free" without any gas. No need to push the EV mode. The car will do it automatically. If you need to accelerate or go up a hill then the EV light will go off and your back on the ICE. My drive to work is mostly downhill and there is a stretch of close to 5 miles that I can coast and be in the EV mode which is pretty sweet. Of course going back home it is uphill for that stretch.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The CT will not go into EV mode until the hybrid system deems that it has met all of the requirements to run as an electric vehicle - so, on startup, if the hybrid system senses that the temp is below ~68 degrees or the hybrid system has been sitting for too long, the ICE will automatically run for a few seconds --> 2+ minutes (depending on warm up time) and then automatically shut off and illuminate the EV icon in the bottom left of the gauge cluster.

You may not be able to go into EV mode even if you press the EV button and will see the message "EV mode not available". You will know that you are in your 'user selected EV Mode' (<-- you've pressed the 'EV Mode' button) because it will illuminate a second and separate "EV Mode" icon to the top left of the speedometer ~ just outside the 50mph/80 kph mark of the speedo). "Excessive acceleration", "Low Battery", etc will cancel the EV mode. I've had varying success at first starts in the morning as the hybrid system is going through its warm-up handshakes with the rest of its bits, but once the hybrid system is warm and happy, I can select the 'EV Mode' button and lightly accelerate (not pressing to hard on the accellerator pedal) up to ~25 mph before the hybrid system cancels the 'EV Mode' that I selected. The small MFD screen inside the gauge cluster will state why the EV mode was cancelled.

As noted above, once the hyrbid system is warm, it automatically switches modes to take full advantage of the ICE and EV modes to maximize fuel efficiency. I use it mostly in parking lots and on the way home once I'm in my subdivision, since the speed limit is 20 mph - which is just perfect for running as an electric vehicle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts