Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

after installing the short stubby antenna, I found that there's a gap between the antenna and the base. Does anyone have any suggestion on filling up that gap? Should I use an o-ring? Thanks.

photo-2.jpg

·
Registered
389 Posts
Seems like an O-ring would be the best option. I just looked at mine and on the base it is sloped up some, that sloping portion fits up inside the stock antenna. I assume the stubby replacement is more flat on the bottom and is hitting that sloped portion. Probably need an O-Ring that just sets outside those sloped up knobs on the base. A very thin O-Ring might work, it would be sticking out some, but might look okay.. sort of like a base for the stubby antenna. I don't see many other options that would look decent. Good luck.. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Guys,

after installing the short stubby antenna, I found that there's a gap between the antenna and the base. Does anyone have any suggestion on filling up that gap? Should I use an o-ring? Thanks.

The better way is to file half the distance from the top of the threaded rod and then file the rest from the bottom until it meets and file about another 1/16" to have it seal properly.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The better way is to file half the distance from the top of the threaded rod and then file the rest from the bottom until it meets and file about another 1/16" to have it seal properly.
Pretty good idea if the threaded rod is the problem and is bottoming out, but as I mentioned from looking at the base, it's tapered and the antenna is concave. Most likely the problem is not the length of the rod, but the stubby antenna is not so concave as the stock one. The OP will have to check it out.

Since the gap is not so big, if it isn't the rod length problem, I suppose one could try to carefully use a Dremel or similar tool to remove some plastic material from the bottom of the Stubby antenna to make it more concave...

Need to find out which problem it is to understand it more.. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Seems like an O-ring would be the best option. I just looked at mine and on the base it is sloped up some, that sloping portion fits up inside the stock antenna. I assume the stubby replacement is more flat on the bottom and is hitting that sloped portion. Probably need an O-Ring that just sets outside those sloped up knobs on the base. A very thin O-Ring might work, it would be sticking out some, but might look okay.. sort of like a base for the stubby antenna. I don't see many other options that would look decent. Good luck.. :)
+1

I'd just stick a rubber ring in there. Its the quickest and easiest solution :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks kalo925! I put an o-ring on. It's bit tiny wider than the base of the stubby antenna but work out pretty good.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Guys,

Where did you bought it from? Link pls.. thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought the 3.5inch stubby antenna but none of the adapters work. It seems the adapters that fit into the antenna is the same as the hole in the car. The problem is that none of the adapters are identical on both ends. How did you get your antenna on?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
383 Posts
that's pretty smart thinking. makes it nice that the size was the same for the antenna and the car.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Regarding my last post. I ended up using a stainless steel bolt that was the right size and cut off the head to the length I needed with a dremel. Problem solved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Most real hardware stores (no, not the big box), have threaded rods available in various lengths, threads and sizes or cut to length so you can take a nut, try it on the thread of the existing antenna, take it to the hardware store and ask the clerk to find you a threaded rod the right length for you to buy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I recently bought the same antenna which I enjoyed for about a month and than it turned a bronze color do to California sun. So I took it off and put the oem back on. Now I will just buy the JDM version.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought the 3.5inch stubby antenna but none of the adapters work. It seems the adapters that fit into the antenna is the same as the hole in the car. The problem is that none of the adapters are identical on both ends. How did you get your antenna on?

Yes, I purchased a similar antenna on ebay and found the same issue. Contacted the seller to see what they say. Anybody on this thread have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Antenna thread adapter for aftermarket stubby antennas

Hey, if anyone bought some cheap aftermarket stubby antennas but they didn't include an adapter that fits, I have a bunch of these socket screws that are basically metric screws M6-1 that are 14mm long and will screw into the antenna and the mount hole. It's long enought to screw into the hole and then screw the antenna into it.

I bought a bag of these, so if anybody needs any, let me know. I may put them up on ebay in lots of 3 for a buck or something. If anyone is interested, please let me know and I'll do that and put a link here.

400189621322_7.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts