Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my 5,000 mile service today and am wondering how many CT owners have their car serviced every 6-months? My work order didn't detail what they did and the accompanying checklist didn't state if they rotated the tires, filled fluids, etc. Also, I only drive 7-8,000 miles a year. Unless if you're a high mileage driver, I don't see any need to have the short service done. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Ron

·
Registered
61 Posts
Your yearly mileage is similar to ours. I will do the required oil changes (about 6k miles or yearly). Anything else I do according to the maintenance schedule you got with your car, such as plugs, air filter, brake flush, etc. Keep in mind that dealerships impose their own set of schedules and usually makes them money. Follow LEXUS' recommendations and never mind what your dealer says. They arent' looking out for YOUR best interests, but rather what lines their pockets after the sale of the car. I DIY everything escept the brake flush (because it's messy, finicky and requires Techstream to do properly). My Toyota dealer charges 79.95 and for that price, they can have it. I'll gladly wait the hour or so while they do it and I can sip their free and fancy coffees and watch the sports highights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2011 is basically a summer car so I put about 6K per year on it. I've settled on doing the oil change once a year right before I put it away for the winter. Air filters, also once a year. Plugs? You probably shouldn't have to worry about those till you hit 100K miles or so. I never done a brake flush on any of my cars ever! My Toyota Matrix is 10 years old. So it's my minivan and never had an issue with either one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I change the oil at around 25k miles due to oil usage reports (I drive 60 MPH on the highway for 75% of my drive, so it's easy on the engine and oil).

I change the air filters every other oil change.

Engine and Inverter coolant flushes as per manual.

Spark plugs as per manual.

I change the transmission fluid as recommended by others who have run tests on it at about every 60k miles (manual recommends never changing it. Useful to change for me since I put a lot of miles on mine.).

I was recommended by my mechanic to not change the brake fluid as long as the master cylinder was never opened (exposed to air), so it's not really necessary.

On my 3rd set of tires, and original brakes (80% front (I regen brake as much as I can), 70% rear (I always use my parking brake when I park)) with nearly 200k miles.

With all of this, my car has been running perfectly. So far no mechanical issues.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs water. The system is NOT sealed, and therefore the brake fluid becomes contaminated. This is why your manual recommends changing the fluid every two years. This is an industry norm. Calipers, and brake lines will last longer due to the reduction of rusting over time. My Toyota dealer charges me 99 dollars to do this job. In fact, my LS460 is getting done on Monday and my wife's CT200 on Tuesday. I'll also add that you will likely notice the firmer brake feel and improved brake performance afterwards.

Reactions: Perl1947

·
Registered
312 Posts
Brake fluid is hygroscopic. It absorbs water. The system is NOT sealed, and therefore the brake fluid becomes contaminated. This is why your manual recommends changing the fluid every two years. This is an industry norm. Calipers, and brake lines will last longer due to the reduction of rusting over time. My Toyota dealer charges me 99 dollars to do this job. In fact, my LS460 is getting done on Monday and my wife's CT200 on Tuesday. I'll also add that you will likely notice the firmer brake feel and improved brake performance afterwards.
Thanks for the heads up! Going to ask my mechanic about this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info roadfrog. I knew that we need to change the fluid after every two years or after 30,000 miles, but was not knowing the reason behind that. Rather, I should say that I was not knowing the reason so much detail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts