Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2013 ct200h 4 days ago on a full tank. I'm now at half a tank, and have only gone just over 150km. Based on everything I've read online, most people are getting around 900 km per tank. It's possible that the dealership hadn't quite filled the tank, because the gauge started dropping the second I drove it off the lot.

I guess my question is if the ct's gauge stays full for a long time, or if it typically drops immediately. Before you ask, I've been driving in Eco mode. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions out there. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
19 Posts
where are you from? right now is winter time with the combination of low temperature and winter fuel it can cause low fuel consumption. The fuel warning light comes up with around 10 liter left in your tank but the gauge wouldn't stay full for a long time.

I am from Canada and i do around 50% highway 50% local, in winter i get around 480km-500km per tank (when fuel warning light comes up) in summer i get around 80km-100km more, you need to learn to drive this car to get good fuel consumption, i was kind of disappointed about the fuel consumption when i first got it (came from a diesel car), cause i always drive my TDI like i stole it, and still manage to get good mileage.

The number i listed above is when i drive it with out thinking about fuel consumption and if i tried to save gas, you add around 100 km more per tank. It gets kind of annoying every time you need to go super light at the paddle when you take off at the light and you can see people behind you gets frustrated; I just don't want to drive like a turtle and think about numbers all the time any more.

I don't think you can "Ever" get 900 km per tank here in Canada(or maybe anywhere in North America) Cause the average speed is just too fast, however i can see people get that number if they do a lot of long driving in average speed around 40 km-60 km with out a lot of stop and go traffic plus they use up the last drop of fuel in their tank.

The fact is; if you are looking for a super fuel efficient car, sorry to tell you that this is not the car for you, however this car is sexy good looking and super reliable also handles very well with decent fuel deficiency.

enjoy your new ride and welcome to the club

Kai

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
I picked up my 2013 ct200h 4 days ago on a full tank. I'm now at half a tank, and have only gone just over 150km. Based on everything I've read online, most people are getting around 900 km per tank. It's possible that the dealership hadn't quite filled the tank, because the gauge started dropping the second I drove it off the lot.

I guess my question is if the ct's gauge stays full for a long time, or if it typically drops immediately. Before you ask, I've been driving in Eco mode. I'm wondering if there are any suggestions out there. Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't worry you aren't getting as bad of gas mileage as you think. Lexus has the gas gauge calibrated so that it shows empty with 3 gallons left. Since the tank is only 11.9 gallons to start with you whole full-to-empty display is based on approximately 9 gallons.

It is somewhat of a nuisance, but you get used to it. When you first fill-up you will see what I mean it will take a lot less gallons that you are expecting. A good rule-of-thumb, a very conservative one at that, is that you can easily go another 100 miles after you gas gauge shows empty.

Good luck with your CT200h and welcome to the forum

MidCow3

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Kai. I guess I just need to be more careful when accelerating if I want to achieve better mileage. I live in Canada as well, and since I've had the car we've had a lot of snow and bitterly cold temperatures. I gather this is tough on the batteries.

I think what's throwing me is the ct tank size. It's roughly 45 litres, so if I can get 400-500km per tank, that's not bad at all. Especially considering my Acura CSX had a 70 litre tank and was getting roughly the same distance on fill up. It just means that I'll be at the pump as often, but spending 40% less.

There is also a lot of bogus information online. Check out this "real world" fuel economy test (link below). This user is claiming 800+km on one tank from Detroit to DC. These people must be crawling off of a red light and getting honked at, just to see how far they can push it. Having said that, it says in his post that he used 'normal' mode. I don't get it.

http://translogic.aolautos.com/2011/09/29/real-world-mpg-detroit-to-d-c-in-a-2011-lexus-ct-200h/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, midcow3. You said I can easily go another 100 miles (160 km for all those Canadians out there) when showing empty. Do you mean I can safely go that distance when the fuel light comes on, or when it actually reads empty?

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Thanks, midcow3. You said I can easily go another 100 miles (160 km for all those Canadians out there) when showing empty. Do you mean I can safely go that distance when the fuel light comes on, or when it actually reads empty?
I have found there is about 25mile (40 Km) between empty and the fuel light. You have 3 gallons at an average of 40 mpg =120 miles at empty, not necessarily the fuel light. So to be conservative from the empty light a better number is 90 miles ( 144 Km).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, Kai. I guess I just need to be more careful when accelerating if I want to achieve better mileage. I live in Canada as well, and since I've had the car we've had a lot of snow and bitterly cold temperatures. I gather this is tough on the batteries.

I think what's throwing me is the ct tank size. It's roughly 45 litres, so if I can get 400-500km per tank, that's not bad at all. Especially considering my Acura CSX had a 70 litre tank and was getting roughly the same distance on fill up. It just means that I'll be at the pump as often, but spending 40% less.

There is also a lot of bogus information online. Check out this "real world" fuel economy test (link below). This user is claiming 800+km on one tank from Detroit to DC. These people must be crawling off of a red light and getting honked at, just to see how far they can push it. Having said that, it says in his post that he used 'normal' mode. I don't get it.

Real World MPG: Detroit To D.C. In A 2011 Lexus CT 200h - Translogic

you can easily get 500 km if you get it down to empty tank(no matter how you drive it), and if you do your research you will find some article on the internet that teaches you how to drive this car to get the best fuel economy.

and like what i said you can safely go another 100 km after the fuel warning light comes off, and i gave you that number because i tried it, and after i go fill it up the gas pump shows me around 41 liter that means i still got around 4 liter left in my tank so maybe you can go as far as 160 km like what midcow3 mention, try it on your risk.

there are 3 driving modes for our CT, when you turn the nub to the left you are in Eco Mode if you press it down it's "normal" mode, by turning it to the right it's sports mode.

cheers

Kai

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
My light when on yesterday at lol 14 miles left on cruising range. Drove the 14 miles plush another 14. Filled up at 8.63 miles. I'm averaging 35mpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Cruising Range is not accurate either, it is in line with the fuel gauge ...you can go 90-100 miles past zero range.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To summarize what the guys have been saying, and based on me and my wife's actual tests to determine the gas mileage with the CT, I can tell you that a person's driving "style" or habits definitely can make a 6-10 mpg difference in what you get with the CT. Our test.... I drove the CT on a trip to FL, over 800 miles total (highway to get there and then around town for a week)... The car gauge showed that I had averaged 47.1 mpg. For the second week, my wife drove the car around town and then drove back home.... her mpg was 42.1

So, same car, 95% the same route, same temperature, same cargo, etc.

I believe how hard you mash the pedal from the inevitable starts from 0 and how well a person as a driver anticipates the need to stop up ahead, and thus enables the car to coast for a longer distance rather than always braking too late and letting all the built up energy go out the tailpipe as you brake, makes a huge difference.

In summary, if you drive the CT with the mindset that you are going to coax all the mpg out of the car, and like myself have another car that you can floor whenever the need for speed overcomes you, then I see no reason why anyone can't get 45 mpg (on the car gauge) in warmer weather. Don't drive or set your cruise control over 70 mpg on the highway and you will see the improvement over your initial poor results.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For comparison: I recently took my 2013 CT200h for a ~700 mile trip over the weekend. I started the trip on empty and gassed up 3 times total. The first tank made it roughly to 270 miles before the gas light turned on. The trip computer said my average speed was 78 MPH with an efficiency rating of 33 MPG. I had no passengers or cargo but on more than one occasion reached the limited top speed of 115 MPH. I believe the lowest computer MPG reading I got during the entire trip was ~28, but it quickly stabilized to 32.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts