Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a lots of folks have replaced the OEM stub antenna with the sharp fin using fractal antenna technology. I read from the manufacturer's web page that states that shark fin will perform within normal acceptable range. My biggest question is what is its true dB loss? The loss of radio sensitivity to me is not worthwhile just for cosmetic gain. I am not familiar with Lexus OEM radio brand and I am reluctant to to do any mod's which will degrade OEM spec's. Any comments from others?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I noticed a lots of folks have replaced the OEM stub antenna with the sharp fin using fractal antenna technology. I read from the manufacturer's web page that states that shark fin will perform within normal acceptable range. My biggest question is what is its true dB loss? The loss of radio sensitivity to me is not worthwhile just for cosmetic gain. I am not familiar with Lexus OEM radio brand and I am reluctant to to do any mod's which will degrade OEM spec's. Any comments from others?
I haven't bothered to do my CT200, but I had done the mod on my Prius and I had the same radio in it. I can't answer your technical question but there was at that time a very active thread on the Prius Chat forum concerning the rather pedestrian radio reception with the standard antenna.

I travel often in my job and drive north and south from the Greater Miami area. I usually use the same roads (I-95 to the North and US1 to the South). As a result, I can compare the real world reception for FM stations under identical conditions. I often listen to a low wattage station from the University of Miami in Coral Gables which is quite near my home and in my regular cars (pre Prius and CT), I could usually hear that station clearly to the County Line in the North and to Homestead Florida in the south on the way to the Keys. I could hear it intermittently to about Fort Lauderdale and to the overseas highway to the South. In my Prius I lost the clear signal about 4 or 5 miles before the "good old American car" with the factory antenna. When I put the shark fin on I couldn't see any measurable difference. In other words the FM reception still stunk but it stunk about the same and it looked a whole lot better. It obviously has no effect whatsoever on the Satellite reception and I didn't notice a difference in the AM reception, but I hardly listen to AM radio any more.

I intend to make the change, but I have been hoping for a shark fin that more closely approximates the appearance of the factory shark fin.

232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
woooowoooo ... that was a very good answer. I have done some searching and found out that certain brands of fractal (shark Fin) antennae are compatible with the chip set that is embedded in the ct200H gps antenna. The stubby OEM antenna is supposed to best match (impedance) with the Lexus OEM radio. A true fractal antenna is supposed to mimic the sinusoidal wave and fullycapture it without any dB loss. But of course there a lots of cheap Chinese imitations for sale, and this is my true concern. My point is that I won't replace the OEM stubby antenna with an imitation shark fin just for cosmetic purpose. Many thanks again for your well though out answer.

·
Registered
842 Posts
woooowoooo ... that was a very good answer. I have done some searching and found out that certain brands of fractal (shark Fin) antennae are compatible with the chip set that is embedded in the ct200H gps antenna. The stubby OEM antenna is supposed to best match (impedance) with the Lexus OEM radio. A true fractal antenna is supposed to mimic the sinusoidal wave and fullycapture it without any dB loss. But of course there a lots of cheap Chinese imitations for sale, and this is my true concern. My point is that I won't replace the OEM stubby antenna with an imitation shark fin just for cosmetic purpose. Many thanks again for your well though out answer.
I know it is anecdotal, but that is all I have. Incidentally, that experience was with the VG (Visual Garage) fin, which I don't really like the looks of, it is more a dolphin than a shark fin and looks too tubby for my tastes. I am thinking of buying the Beatsonic antenna and I will post my experience with reception on that, but their website was down over the weekend and I am awaiting a response to my inquiry about the availability of a pearl white version. The VG people were great to deal with. I bought my original fin from the Prius Chat site and the 3M tape was damaged on the way to me and the Chat shop was not particularly responsive so I went directly to the VG site, got a phone number and called them (or was it by email? I forget) and they sent me a replacement immediately. Great service, I bet you could call them and they might have the technical answer you are seeking.

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
I do have the BeatSonic antenna and can say that there was no loss in reception across the GPS, wireless, FM, and SAT bands. I don't, however, know which bands actually utilize that specific antenna. I'm pretty sure the GPS antenna is located elsewhere so it would be a nonissue, regardless. I, unfortunately, don't have numerical data to back my experience, but the comparisons have been about the same between the factory stubby and the BeatSonic antenna.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do have the BeatSonic antenna and can say that there was no loss in reception across the GPS, wireless, FM, and SAT bands.
Maybe all the crystals covering it enhance the reception! :p I saw Goose the other day parked outside the service department of my dealership. I looked at it and thought.. why is that look familiar, then I saw the license plate OMG VIP. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.