Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TL: DR
Wanted a sharkfin antenna that wasn't $100, purchased one from amazon for $18 and worked out great.

Been looking to replace my antenna for awhile. Started with a stubby one but after seeing the new shark fin on 2014+ models, it made me wanting more. It seems that the 2014+ is not a direct replacement due to the plugs (please correct me if I'm wrong), so a cover is the next best option. There's a few out there, Beat Sonic and Visual Garage, but both are a bit pricey.
Decided to do some shopping around and came across the 9Moon antenna. It's made for smaller antenna bases (like the IS300), but with some DIY work, I was able to get it to fit great. Link for product: Amazon.com : 9 Moon ABS Varnish Car With 3M Adhesive Radio Shark Fin Antenna Signal Shark Fin Antenna For Cadillac ATS CTS EXT SRX XTS XLR JAGUAR XF XJ XJS XK S-TYPE X-TYPE : Car Electronics

Steps:

0. Notice that the bottom is not cut properly for our antenna base. This won't fit without modifications. The antenna cover and the bottom base is two separate pieces.
Screen Shot 2015-06-18 at 11.16.25 PM.jpg

1. Cut off the base of the antenna trim - there's a few screws holding the base trim to the antenna cover. Remove the screws and use a dremel to bore it out.

2. Using quick dry 2-part epoxy, glue the trim to the antenna. Make sure there's a good seal so that you can't see any gaps between the two pieces.
IMG_3275.jpg

2. Put the adhesive back on and trim the excess tape.

IMG_3276.jpg
3. Go to your hardware store (Lowes) and look for new screws (mine came with the wrong screws for the antenna base). M6-1x10 should be the correct size.
IMG_3279.jpg

4. Remove old antenna
IMG_3280.jpg

5. Screw in the new screw with the antenna wire threaded through.
IMG_3281.jpg

6. Remove other side of double sided tape and press firmly. Don't have to worry too much about fitment since it's a snug fit. But test fit it before you apply the tape.

IMG_3286.jpg IMG_3282.jpg
Enjoy

·
381 Posts
Not bad. I ordered one for my Prius and it didn't fit. I had been thinking about doing something similar.

·
Registered
246 Posts
nice. i wonder how closely the color matches to our lexus colors though....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nice. i wonder how closely the color matches to our lexus colors though....
It would depend on the color. They grey matches okay, not 100% neither does the beatsonic. In either case to get an exact match you'll have to get it painted.
It's rather hard to tell the difference, and given that it's not on the same plane as your roof (it sticks out), the difference in perceived color can be due to the reflection from the sun.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Lilboi:

Can you measure the width & length of the shark fin or me? I ordered one from another site, mine is 3" x 6.75" and the width is a bit too narrow to fit. I just want to make sure before I order one from Amazon's vendor. Thanks.

·
Registered
195 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts