Lexus CT200h Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The damage was cause a stupidly sharp zipper on my pants brushing the steering wheel when getting in the car. Now I know there has been previous threads on this, however I wanted to get opinions on my damage in particular ( 2 inch length, raised bumps, not very deep ) and wanted to see the best ways to go about the repair and if anyone had experience doing their own repairs.

the damage: Album

In terms of repair I am really more concerned with making it feel as smooth as it used to and not so much exact color matching. So far I have 4 options in mind: (do not want to consider getting a 3rd steering wheel cover)

1. Seems to be the most popular to use a leather conditioner on the wheel so I got BlackRock Leather 'N' Rich Cleaner, Conditioner and Protector. Haven't applied it yet as I'm concerned it will make the wheel too slippery and not bring the bumps down enough.

2. I considered sanding it with high grit sandpaper (1200 or 2000?) to remove the bumps, however I have no idea if this will cause it to feel more dull around the area or have other negative effects.

3. I considered getting a leather repair kit ( any recommendations? ) but that seems to be catered much more toward leather furniture repair then a steering wheel.

4. I am considering professional leather repair options but don't want to pay more than $100 really, is this a realistic expectation?

·
Registered
312 Posts
My dealer once did something similar to my wheel. They said they had a "leather guy" for such occasions and had him take care of it.

Once I got the car back, the damage was still visible, but not quite as much. It looked like the raised area was pushed in, and made flat so you couldn't feel like as you moved your hand or fingers across the damaged area.

I don't think sanding's a good idea. I feel like you're just going to tear off the top surface of the leather until everything's smooth, but then you will feel the interior of the leather padding instead of the surface that used to be there.

First thing I would do is ask about the cost of having a professional do it, then go from there. Check Youtube for videos on repairing leather with repair kits too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You couldn't feel it at all when you ran your hands across the wheel? I'm hoping massaging with leather conditioner will do what you described

·
Registered
31 Posts
DON'T sand it. All dealers have repair guys (like the one mentioned in previous post) that specialize in this, if you're willing to pay as you mentioned. Try your conditioner first. After you have it a little softened with the conditioner, I would try a rolling pin effect with a smooth rod or actual rolling pin to encourage those raised bumps to recede.
Good to know about zipper damage though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts