Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with spring right around the corner (it was 22C here in Montreal yesterday), I decided to spray out the salt from the wheel wells, change to my summer mags/tires and give a general wash and wax to my car.

Over the winter, I would put my car through a no-contact car wash about once a month. However upon closer inspection yesterday, there were a lot of rust-colored specks all over my car - even on the bumper! I have never owned a white car before and wasn't too thrilled to see them. They did come off with a little elbow grease, but it really was disheartening.

Does anyone know if this is with all white cars? Is it paint-related or metal-related. Is it a Canadian weather thing? Or does my car have "issues"?

I picked up my car on April 1st last year and took the electronic rust-protection. Should I bring this up with my dealer before the 1 year anniversary or just suck it up?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
bmoy88, have you figured it out yet?

I had an issue with rust specks on my rear bumper/trunk on my last car, but it was for a known reason. The guy who installed my new garage door and opener didn't do it right and the center steel bar mounted on the ceiling of my garage was rubbing when the door glided back & forth on the track! This then caused small metal shavings to sit on my car on a regular basis. By any chance do you have a garage and are the specks only near the center of the car (from side to side) or are they everywhere?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Difficult to be concerned about rusted bumpers when they are plastic !!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bmoy88, have you figured it out yet?

I had an issue with rust specks on my rear bumper/trunk on my last car, but it was for a known reason. The guy who installed my new garage door and opener didn't do it right and the center steel bar mounted on the ceiling of my garage was rubbing when the door glided back & forth on the track! This then caused small metal shavings to sit on my car on a regular basis. By any chance do you have a garage and are the specks only near the center of the car (from side to side) or are they everywhere?
Definitely not the garage as I do not park my car in there due to the fact that it used mostly for storage. Thanks anyways but it definitely seems like it is the issue pointed out by lostchild.

·
Registered
78 Posts
bmoy88.
I had the same issue with my Prius G3.
I had success with two products 1) a real claybar and 2) liquid claybar on a terry cloth. Both of these products worked really well in taking off the specs with little effort (my judgement) on my part. For the clay bar, take a bowl of warm water out with you and wet it down as you rub it across the spots. Keep it wet and it seems to do a better job - but of course - always read the instructions!. I also used a "Bug and Tar" remover that was - well, just "ok" - and it took more of an effort than the clay bar (for me). YMMV.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, for all the insight and tips.

Will definitely pick up some clay bar from CT this weekend and give it a shot.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Claybar works wonder. I once ran over a puddle of white paint on the freeway. It was like in slow motion when I was driving over it... and I hear the splash.... there were hundreds of tiny little white dots all over the car. But luckily 30 min of claybar did the trick. I guess I was lucky that it was probably latex paint and not oil base paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts