Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - and the dealer was able to fix it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new 2012 CT200h F Sport edition about a month ago here in San Diego, and have 780 miles on it now. I had read some reviews in the car magazines, and some people were complaining of the CT200h having a rough ride, and not having the refinements of a Lexus. I laughed because I felt that my CT200h was smoother and quieter then my IS350 was, and I have never had any complaints.

Well, today I get in the car and drive to work, about 12 miles of mostly freeway driving, and I couldn't help but feel some vibrating inside the vehicle. It was ALL OVER in the car, on the steering wheel, in the door pocket (one of my cd's sitting in the door pocket was actually making noise!) and even in the back seat where my laptop bag is, the clasps were making noise from the vibration! Every bump I went over felt rough and uncomfortable.

NOT NORMAL I hope?? I took it into the Lexus dealer, and the guy was like "as a 1 time courtesy we'll balance our tires for free since you still have less then 1,000 miles on it... Come back tomorrow to pick it up.. Here's a free loaner".

So, the loaner I got in, another Ct200h (NOT an F Sport) has 9000 miles on it, and the ride to me also felt pretty rough, which got me wondering, after the break in period for the suspension, do these cars ride pretty rough on the road?

I hope and pray not. Honestly, I don't think it's normal for stuff in your car to be VIBRATING! Hopefully they can see the problem and fix it..

Let me know your experience if you've felt similar?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not noticed a difference after 23,000 miles it still handles and rides as new though I'm sure there are some subtle differences I haven't noticed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last daily driver was a Jeep so the CT is smooth compared to that.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Most roads are okay.. but there have been a few roads that did seem to cause more noise and possibly vibration. I think it is all about the particular road you were driving, that's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't understand any reference to vibration. However the CT's ride is fairly firm, the kind of ride I have personally always preferred. The reward comes on broken or undulating road surfaces at about 110km/ph or more, and cornering through the twisty bits.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well, it must be because of rough roads. First the CT200h is not meant to be a floaty car. Also a car with a shorter wheel base and smaller diameter tires is going to ride rougher than a long wheel base car with larger diameter tires. That's just geometry. I like a firm ride anyway. Two cars ago I had a '95 Mitsubishi Eclips GST. It was also a firm riding car that was stiffly sprung.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think CT is meant to have more sporty, rough sides than smooth and floating rides.
Because I live in downtown LA, I can feel the roughness of the local streets all the way. Also noticing squeaking noise here and there more than what might other CT drivers can never hear.
When I'm driving on freeways it seems like there's not much of squeaking noise. So I think the noise(vibrating) mostly depends on the road condition. Although I somewhat agree that CT has more squeaking noise than other cars that I drove on the same streets for years.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Part of the stiff ride is the low profile tires, if it was 65's (exaggerating, this size probably wouldn't fit) it would be smoother. I'm going to see if I can get slightly higher profile's on my next set of tires when the stock wears out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I rarely hear rattles. The rattles I do hear I think are the seat belts, and those I hear on highly rough roads. I do hear the occasional plastic pop of it settling or moving... again mostly on very rough roads. Usually, its just low muffled thuds... which is expected.

232 Posts
No pun intended here, but if you wanna to experience harsh ride go for BMW 3 series with its ultra harsh teeth grinding RFT's !!! You sure are gonna loosen your teeth fillings. I thank the good Lord that Lexus are not opting for RFT's as part of OEM supplied tires. There are ways to tighten the ride which in turn will give you a perceived smoother ride. Use nitrogen instead of air to fill tires it will help, but this option which is not available to most people. Decrease rear cold inflation tire pressure by one pound, since ct200H is a FWD and by making rear wheels a tad mushier it will bounce less. Increase the thickness of rear sway bar. This will make your ct200H more obedient when hitting skew pot holes, thus reducing the jitter and the harshness of impact. I have yet to check the F-Sport suspension kit to see if you can buy only the rear sway bar. I changed the rear sway bar of my 2010 Subaru Outback, i.e. increased from OEM 15mm to sports version 17mm; and it made a huge difference. The rear end did not bounce as much as before and I also lowered the rear cold tire pressure by one pound even though the Subbie is a AWD but it is front biased; and by slight decrease in the rear cold inflation tire pressure you are compensating for the over steer thus enhancing the under steer effect. And keep your tires balanced all the time. Decreasing too much tire pressure will negate the high mpg capabilities and of course you will overheat the tires and cause blow outs.

I have decreased my rear tires by one cold psig and I have noticed less bounce when I hit expansion joints. The steering is more taught and the feel is of a smoother ride. By the way, you are not going to get a 45+ mpg car if it ain't rough.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Driven about 2000kms so far. Car was always a firm ride but now that I have winters on the ride is even rougher. No vibrations in the steering wheel or seat but it's like I feel every little thing on the road. I like a firm ride but this is borderline unrefined.

Anyone else notice a difference between winter and summers? I use the same sized rim and tires. 215/45/17

·
Registered
53 Posts
I like the firm ride. My other car is a Caddy CTS and that is a marshmellow compared to the CT. I think Lexus went with a firmer, sportier suspension on the CT as it has not been done yet in the Hybrid market. I for one am really impressed with this car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I don't remember where I read it, but I think there was a choice (for those who live in colder climates) to get 16" wheels instead of the 17-inchers. I would imagine that would take some of the "bite" out of the sportier suspension and give the car more cush. Maybe some aftermarket wheels?

·
Registered
105 Posts
you bought a sport edition, so ofcourse you WANTED the most rigid car so that you know exactly where your car is at while racing.
At least thats what all sport editions of any car mean in European Union.

But I'm certain you'll get used to it. Ask Lexus if they may relax a bit the suspensions ?)
Enjoy your car !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Compared to my 2008 smart fortwo, my CT is smooth as silk. Compared to the Lexus ES or a Mercedes-Benz C300 loaner cars I've had, the CT is a bit rough. It's all relative. Bottom line, my CT is extremely comfortable balance between luxury plushness and sports car stiffness.

·
Registered
990 Posts
You drive a small 5 door hatchback similar to a Mazda 3 and Ford Focus. Small cars are not going to drive like ES's or LS's just not going to happen. They don't have enough suspension travel and are light weight. My CT does drive about 2 steps above my IS350 with f sport springs. Not a huge difference. Only main difference is the CT takes potholes better but the IS is solid with no creaks.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just noticed vibrations yesterday on my 2013 ct. I could feel that the ride was not smooth at all. Initially I thought it could be due to changes in air pressure, but that does not seem to be the case. Were the technician able to resolve your issue. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks
-- shiva

·
Registered
105 Posts
if you want less harsh feeling put the lightest 15" rims & tyres you can find. You can also change the suspension to something smoothest.
Personnally my Spaceship is the smoothest car i've been in (tested a lot lot lot)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hope and pray not. Honestly, I don't think it's normal for stuff in your car to be VIBRATING! Hopefully they can see the problem and fix it..

Let me know your experience if you've felt similar?
I don't think you'll have a problem. Most of the roads around here are not bad. I'm in North County.
If you really want to have a vibrating experience take the I10 from Beaumont to 29 Palms area. This will shake your goose. Even my Jag resonated.
If you do go to Palm Springs take the shorter route thru 79 to 371 to the 74 up and down the mountain into Palm Springs, I guarantee you will enjoy the curve hugging the CT does. You will be able to take great advantage of the "B" brake assist on curves.
The CT is a great ride if you make it work..

·
Registered
3 Posts
CT 200h ride issue

In late December 2012 the car suddenly chugged and jerked along the road and did not drive smoothly until about 60mph+. I immediately took the car in (this was right b4 Christmas!)and the dealer said the intake manifold needed to be replaced! They dealer said the part would be in around the first of 2013, then the 9th, then the 16th and then the 22nd of January! Well, they are still waiting for the part and have no ETA to give me!
They gave us a loaner ES350, but that gets only 23mpg. We have been without our car now for 6 weeks! So this is costing us $170 more per month to drive, as we drive about 2000+ miles per month on that car!! We love our CT200h, but we are very frustrated!!!
Any ideas why?
Loyal Lexus drivers in SoCal
PS: we own 2 other Lexus' and have never had a problem!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts