Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was quite an adventure but after ordering the fit kit needed for the CT from New Zealand, I have my rack installed and couldn't be happier. I went with the Whispbar (recently purchased by Yakima) flush racks. The product was easy to install and the sunroof is still fully functional. As advertised the Whispbar racks are pretty darn close to silent at highway speeds and I haven't noticed any difference in my MPG. I also purchased the Thule Double Decker locking surfboard racks and they are working really well with the bars. My CT is a complete replacement for my old SUV not to mention 4x the fuel economy and some luxury as an added bonus. As soon as Weathertech makes the digital cut mats for the CT I will be 100% happy and done.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Looks good, the moon roof does go under the back bar?

·
Registered
116 Posts
nice...i want a roof rack, but kinda pricy

·
Premium Member
957 Posts
Looks like a nice, clean install!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There isn't really any wind noise, even at highway speeds. I guess you could add a fairing but they don't even make one for the Whispbars. I really wanted a rack that wouldn't make any noise because of how quiet the CT is already. I drove around going 70 plus alot this weekend and didn't even notice a difference with the racks on. When the sunroof is open it ends just before the rear rack comes across. If you install them exactly as the instructions direct, they will jam up the sun roof. I just moved the rear bar back a little and it was no problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Looks like a really nice rack, but I have had roof mounted racks for bikes and I much prefer a hitch mount. I am going to work on that route today.

·
Premium Member
875 Posts
Effect on MPG?

There isn't really any wind noise, even at highway speeds. I guess you could add a fairing but they don't even make one for the Whispbars. I really wanted a rack that wouldn't make any noise because of how quiet the CT is already. I drove around going 70 plus alot this weekend and didn't even notice a difference with the racks on. When the sunroof is open it ends just before the rear rack comes across. If you install them exactly as the instructions direct, they will jam up the sun roof. I just moved the rear bar back a little and it was no problem.
Let us know how it affects you MPG. I had a roof rack on a Honda Accord and it dropped the highway MPG 2-3 depending on the speed.

Nice clean install ;)

·
Registered
175 Posts
It was quite an adventure but after ordering the fit kit needed for the CT from New Zealand, I have my rack installed and couldn't be happier. I went with the Whispbar (recently purchased by Yakima) flush racks. The product was easy to install and the sunroof is still fully functional. As advertised the Whispbar racks are pretty darn close to silent at highway speeds and I haven't noticed any difference in my MPG. I also purchased the Thule Double Decker locking surfboard racks and they are working really well with the bars. My CT is a complete replacement for my old SUV not to mention 4x the fuel economy and some luxury as an added bonus. As soon as Weathertech makes the digital cut mats for the CT I will be 100% happy and done.
Looks great on your CT200h. Too bad don't have the need for cool rack now otherwise will get the same gear as yours.

Cheers
:cool:

·
Registered
53 Posts
how much weight can our ct's support? i want to put one of those thule boxes on it, or maybe yakima.. but inside i will put 4 snowboards... can our roof, and this whispbar support that weight?, oh ya, would probably put my boots in there too, so 4 pairs of snowboard boots

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure on the Capacity for the CT. The whispbars weigh 11 lbs and their max load capacity is 165 pounds, if that helps. Here are a few more pics with the Thule Double Decker attached.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks great! I am still deciding if I got the hitch or roof racks.
I already have the Thule bike racks so this would certainly be the easier choice, but having said that I like the idea of the hitch and how its hidden when not in use.

Could you post details of the model or number of the kit you purchased for your CT?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have some options on the bars. I picked the ones that end flush at the towers, the S5 Flush Bar kit. These are easy to find at any Yakima/Whispbar dealer. I ordered them from ORS racks online and I was happy with the shipping and service from them. The fit kit that you need is the K586. It was a nightmare to get this. Long story short, Yakima bought Whispbar and doesn't have any of this kit in stock in the US. After direct contact with Yakima there was no way for me to get the kit. They estimated February for availability. I contacted Whispbar which is based in New Zealand. They were unable to send me the kit because of the contract with Yakima. I found a rack shop in New Zealand who had the kit in stock and was willing to ship it to me. After a little longer wait for the airmail and a little more money for international shipping I got the kit. The New Zealand shop was: www.littlereds.co.nz They were fair on the shipping and I was happy with their service as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let us know how it affects you MPG. I had a roof rack on a Honda Accord and it dropped the highway MPG 2-3 depending on the speed.

Nice clean install ;)
After driving around for a while I haven't noticed any difference in my MPG. I might not be the best to judge on this. Most of my driving is around town with frequent stops and I average about 42 mgp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I received what is labelled as the 586 kit, but it doesn't appear to work at all. I ordered the through Whispbars, and the screws are much too big to fit through the 586 holes. Also, the holes don't line up at all when they're inserted into the Whispbars... did yours fit properly??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oops, nevermind - I figured it out. Fits fine now. It is pretty solid, but the sunroof comes pretty close to the bike rack when it's attached to the crossbars. Looks good, though, and now I can enjoy both my CT200h & my bike!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Some pics of my Whispbar rack install. I have used it with a single bike rack (Yakima Frontloader) and also a Skybox Pro 16. I drove with the Skybox Pro 16 from Atlanta, GA to Asheville, SC (about 200 miles) in heavy wind and didn't notice any handling problems at all. I think it decreased the gas mileage by about 2 mpg, though (averaged about 39-40 mpg on the trip).

photo 1(1).jpg photo 2(1).jpg photo 3(1).jpg

·
Registered
209 Posts
I saw 40kg quoted as the maximum load for CT roof bars. I think it was on a Thule distributor's site.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ggranados: Do you find that the bike sways a fair bit on the Whispbar? I have the shorter Whispbar on my CT200h & when I observe the car with bike from another car driving behind, I find that the bike seems to sway a fair bit more than when I put a bike on a Subaru Forester with roof rails using RhinoBar brand crossbars.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi bcarpenter,

Yes, it does tend to sway quite a bit when a bike is up there. I use the Yakima Frontloader, and I don't really like taking the bike at highway speeds or for long distances. I am now usually using the rack for a Yakima Cargo Box (Skybox Pro 16) and I put my bike in the rear cargo area. It fits easily with the rear seats down. If I have rear passengers, it still fits with the rear seats up, but I have to take both tires off and pull out the seat/seatpost. I think it would be more stable with the new Whispbar bike rack with fork mount (I saw it on the Euro website, but not avail yet through Yakima). I did take a long trip with the Skybox up there and it was extremely stable and quiet even with heavy winds (I didn't even notice any handling problems).

Best,
Gene

1 - 20 of 23 Posts