Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Road Rash/Bumper Boo Boo

7229 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  drakeraider
I'm only in month 2 of my new 2013 Lexus CT200h and already a nasty scrape with a very steep underground parking lot.

I realize its somewhat not worth it since it'll probably happen again but I wonder if some touch up paint would be ok so I don't have to see it as I walk up to the car.

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
See less See more
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
I'm only in month 2 of my new 2013 Lexus CT200h and already a nasty scrape with a very steep underground parking lot.

View attachment 40074

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You could ask your dealer. Some dealers either have on staff or on contract someone who is an absolute wiz at rectifying minor scrapes such as this at much less than panel beater rates. I think these are the guys who are often used to fix small problems on new cars pre-delivery.
In that location you can use almost any white paint from a spray can and any color variation would look like a reflection.

You are right that this will happen again and again. Find a spray can that is close and just keep touching it up. I have sprayed white (not really close to the Pearl Blizzard) paint on several boo boo's and even though I know it is there, I only notice it if I get down to that level to look closely. The worst that can happen is that if you hate it, or feel it is very conspicuous, you can have a rag with mineral spirits or some other solvent ready to wipe it off.

One time I tried to touch it up with the factory touch up paint with a little brush and it dries to a different color anyway because it usually is thicker or something. Just my opinion.
In that location you can use almost any white paint from a spray can and any color variation would look like a reflection.

You are right that this will happen again and again. Find a spray can that is close and just keep touching it up. I have sprayed white (not really close to the Pearl Blizzard) paint on several boo boo's and even though I know it is there, I only notice it if I get down to that level to look closely. The worst that can happen is that if you hate it, or feel it is very conspicuous, you can have a rag with mineral spirits or some other solvent ready to wipe it off.

One time I tried to touch it up with the factory touch up paint with a little brush and it dries to a different color anyway because it usually is thicker or something. Just my opinion.
Yeah that's what I was thinking... worse case I wipe it off or get it fixed via the dealer later on. Just sucks... but ya gotta keep driving right? ;)
Sorry to see that. However, it's not too bad. This is a bumper boo boo. LOL I should get my car back tomorrow hopefully good as new.

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part
See less See more
I had a similar scrape from a tall curb. I used the plain white touch-up brush from my 2006 Prius, and just lightly touched it up, and from 6 feet away, you can't see it. The plain white isn't the same as the Pearl White on the Lexus. Now I have a worse one from backing into a Mercedes limo, and his license plate screws left two small indents and chipped paint on the reat bumper. You just can't win. The same simple touch up won't work as well there since the paint is gouged up a little around the two indents. Be careful out there!
Sorry to hear about that! I had a *cringe* moment in a parking garage as well recently.

I've used PaintScratch.com for touching up my previous cars and it works great; you can buy a small bottle with a brush attached to the lid, or a pen (for smaller areas like a thin scratch). The Starfire Pearl paint is a tri-coat, so to match the paint you will need 3 bottles, plus a clearcoat for finish--it can add up to about $40 for the supplies you need, but you'll be set if you ever run into any other road dings in the future. If you provide your VIN in addition to searching your car model by year they will be able to match the paint to factory specifications.

The dealership may have what you need also, but I think I read previously on this (or another) message board that someone was sold only the base color of the tri-coat for Starfire Pearl at their dealership (they got it for $7). I would perhaps call a nearby dealership before dropping $40 on touch up paint just in case you can get a better deal.
See less See more

I'm thinking about using a spray can like you suggested to fix my scratch. See pics below. The scratch is about 3 feet in length. You think this would work okay in my situation? Are you saying I just any can from like Wal-Mart? How do I keep the paint from spraying on the rest of the car? Tape it off? I guess this is why a bottle of paint so I can paint it on seems less risky.
I'm thinking about using a spray can like you suggested to fix my scratch. See pics below. The scratch is about 3 feet in length. You think this would work okay in my situation? Are you saying I just any can from like Wal-Mart? How do I keep the paint from spraying on the rest of the car? Tape it off? I guess this is why a bottle of paint so I can paint it on seems less risky.
Yes, that is exactly what I did. I do not advocate your doing it because if you screw it up, I don't want you to think (wrongly) that I am responsible, but that is what I did. I took a can of white paint that I had in the garage, went out to the car, got down on my side and sprayed the bottom where it was scraped. If there was overspray, I didn't notice it, but it is easy enough to have some lacquer thinner or acetone there with a rag to wipe it off. Still looks pretty good (to my tired eyes, anyway). As it is, my wife did it again, so she has asked me to check with a body shop owned by a friend to see what he would charge to have everything done on her car. So, I haven't touched the latest customization by her.

I have also used touch up paint with a brush and I find it much harder to avoid the glop effect. Too thick, or too thin.
See less See more
Yes, that is exactly what I did. I do not advocate your doing it because if you screw it up, I don't want you to think (wrongly) that I am responsible, but that is what I did. I took a can of white paint that I had in the garage, went out to the car, got down on my side and sprayed the bottom where it was scraped. If there was overspray, I didn't notice it, but it is easy enough to have some lacquer thinner or acetone there with a rag to wipe it off. Still looks pretty good (to my tired eyes, anyway). As it is, my wife did it again, so she has asked me to check with a body shop owned by a friend to see what he would charge to have everything done on her car. So, I haven't touched the latest customization by her.

I have also used touch up paint with a brush and I find it much harder to avoid the glop effect. Too thick, or too thin.
Thanks for the info. Don't think I will be trying it though. Too afraid of the overspray. Think I'm going to try some touch up paint. It is such a long scratch (3 feet) that I think it might take a lot though. The scratch is so low on the car that I think the touch up paint wont be noticeable so I can't see paying $300 to have repaired professionally. Thanks again!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.