Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
thought I would share this since so many of us have 17" or bigger wheels. they are prone to damage.

i had 1 bent rim used for winter tires. checked around the GTA for tire shop that would fix it. here's my summary:

Union Rim Repair
- took my rim in. they took it to the back to check it out. came back 5 min later and said $110 to repair
- i had emailed them earlier in the week. they said $80 to straigthen + $20 to balance. so their email was in line
- repair time of 1 day. drop off tuesday. ready on weds even though they said it would be 2 days.
- really wish i just went here in the first place. other places were a huge waste of time.
- hope this helps someone in the GTA

Carcone's
- $55 + $20 balance = $75
- inconvenient
- you take it there all the way to aurora. they can't assess the wheel on the spot. they need to send it out to look at it. you have to come back. i dropped it off one day. next day they call and say it's unrepairable. apparently they say that about all but the simplest of bends. other people have said they had their rims fixed by other shops after carcone's deemed them "unrepairable". seems to me they specialize more in refinishing than repairing wheels
- i went to carcones because people say their work is good. can't comment on that. they were friendly and professional but I would stay away simply because they are super inconvenient.

mobilewheelrepair.ca
- called them for quote. $150 + tax
- called again. no answer. called again. no answer. called again. answer. left my name and number. they said their pick up guy would call me for pick up
- they never called me.
- guy on phone was nice enough but if you don't call people then back don't expect my business
- they seemed like they had so much business they didn't care about a little guy

Toronto Rim Repair King
- called and they quoted $160 cash. asked me to meet him somewhere to drop off the wheel
- called the next day. said they would call back when free. also asked again if i could meet them somewhere.
- Paul seemed nice enough but they adverstise a mobile service. they say specifically on their site that they will come pick up from you but both times i called they wanted me to meet somewhere convenient for THEM. unprofessional and false service. for the extra expense of a "mobile" service they should not ask their customers to come to them.
- they couldn't pick it up the 2nd time i called and said they would come the next day. never called me back. guess my business wasn't big enough or something?

Precision Rim
- called. they said $150. seemed expensive to me considering i have to bring it to them

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
How to check for bent rims

Recently I purchased used Scion rims for my winters. A#hole seller sold me 2 bent rims.

Thought I would post this to help people check for bent rims.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do this when you change from winters to summer to make sure your rims are still true after a bad winter.

Very simple but effective. You can do all this with the wheel on the car. Use any stationary object that can be placed next to the rim and won't move when you spin the wheel. I used a block of wood and breaker bar. You are basically building a crude runout gauge.

All you need to do is eyeball the gap. Even the slightest bend will be obvious as the gap will change as you rotate the tire if the wheel is bent. For the lateral runout you need to check both the outside and inside surface of the wheel. Sometimes a bend will be on the inside only or outside only. Jack up the car. For your front tires, put the car into neutral so you can spin the wheel freely.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
If the wheels have tires already with no leaks and mounted on the car, how can you tell it is bent when you are running? Will it be pulling to the left or right? Or will it be a rough ride? What are the symptoms of bent wheels?

Recently I purchased used Scion rims for my winters. A#hole seller sold me 2 bent rims.

Thought I would post this to help people check for bent rims.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do this when you change from winters to summer to make sure your rims are still true after a bad winter.

Very simple but effective. You can do all this with the wheel on the car. Use any stationary object that can be placed next to the rim and won't move when you spin the wheel. I used a block of wood and breaker bar. You are basically building a crude runout gauge.

All you need to do is eyeball the gap. Even the slightest bend will be obvious as the gap will change as you rotate the tire if the wheel is bent. For the lateral runout you need to check both the outside and inside surface of the wheel. Sometimes a bend will be on the inside only or outside only. Jack up the car. For your front tires, put the car into neutral so you can spin the wheel freely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've used Precision Rims Repair for repair and refinishing in the past and have always been satisfied with the job they did.
I would go back there in a flash even though Carcone's is 10 minutes away.

On another note, I've have had rims refinished at Metal Coaters and they do a good job of refinishing as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
bent rim on the front should feel shaking in the steering wheel.

bent rim on the back and you feel vibration in your seat.

honestly i discovered a bent wheel on the front and back and i still didn't have a vibration in the steering or seat. i think the ct and lexus in general does a good job at dampening so you might not feel much if there's only a slight bend in our wheels. i did feel a rough ride like i was going over a very small bump or rock continously.

after getting my 2 wheels straightened i no longer feel the bump but the ride is harsh. it's like i feel every bump in the road. now i don't know if the other wheels are bent or if it's just the low profile tires and cold temperature that's causing the rough ride. i checked my wheels using the crude method in this thread. no noticeable bend in any wheels. i've ordered a dial guage to measure the run out. we'll see if the wheels are truly straight.

with bent rims your car should not pull left or right.

If the wheels have tires already with no leaks and mounted on the car, how can you tell it is bent when you are running? Will it be pulling to the left or right? Or will it be a rough ride? What are the symptoms of bent wheels?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
carcone's prob does do good work. didn't say they didn't. just saying they don't seem to care much about straightening. maybe they would have fixed my rims if i was interested in a refinish. maybe the added cost of refinishing would have made the job worth their while. or they just don't want to bother with straightening alone because it's more complicated than refinishing where they don't have to care about scuffing up the wheel since the whole thing gets repainted anyway.

whatever. carcone's is really inconvenient for wheel straightening. just saying.

·
Registered
371 Posts
bent rim on the front should feel shaking in the steering wheel.

bent rim on the back and you feel vibration in your seat.

honestly i discovered a bent wheel on the front and back and i still didn't have a vibration in the steering or seat. i think the ct and lexus in general does a good job at dampening so you might not feel much if there's only a slight bend in our wheels. i did feel a rough ride like i was going over a small bump continously.
Our CT's have very numb electric steering so you wouldn't be able to feel steering wheel shake unless it was really sever.

·
Registered
100 Posts
carcone's prob does do good work. didn't say they didn't. just saying they don't seem to care much about straightening. maybe they would have fixed my rims if i was interested in refinish. maybe the added cost of refinishing would have made it worth their while. or they just don't want to bother with straightening alone because it's more complicated than refinishing where don't care about scuffing up the wheel since the whole thing get repainted anyway.

whatever. carcone's is really inconvenient for wheel straightening. just saying.
Sure, I don't dispute what you are saying I'm just adding a point of info in case people care. :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not disputing either :) just clarifying so people don't think i'm poo po-ping Carcone's. my point about them was they are inconvenient. throwing out the info and letting people make up their own minds. more points of info are always welcome! :)

Sure, I don't dispute what you are saying I'm just adding a point of info in case people care. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
not disputing either :) just clarifying so people don't think i'm poo po-ping Carcone's. my point about them was they are inconvenient. throwing out the info and letting people make up their own minds. more points of info are always welcome! :)
Agreed! :) Hopefully someone will provide feedback on Carcone's quality of work.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some interesting information. I measured the run out of my rims. Below are the stats:

Axial Radial
RF .003" .006"
LF .007" .012"
LR .008" .020"
RR .005" .007"

LF, LR were repaired.

LR was the rim that Carcone's said was "unrepairable".

My mechanic said all the numbers are within tolerance and that they did a good job with the repair. I'm pretty sure Carcone's could have fixed the rim if they wanted to. This reinforces my view that they specialize more in rim refinishing rather than straightening.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
max tire (not rim) radial runout according to lexus techdoc is 1.4 mm or 0.0551 in.

there is no mention in the techdoc what the max allowed rim runout is. various sources say it's 0.03 in.

c137874.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts