Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tire pressure light goes on? Mine came on a few days before the mileage hit 19700k. I probably drove it for about a week with no problems when the light became lit.
I took it to Toyota because Lexus is far.. suspecting whether or not it is just a normal for 20k but turns out they said I had a needle in the tire. My dad had checked my car before and didn't notice a needle and tire pressure seemed normal. Now I am just wondering if I got scammed.

·
Registered
842 Posts
No, it is not normal for that light to come on. If it does, it means that your tire pressure has gotten lower. If you drive it around with the light lit, you are lucky it was apparently a slow leak because you could easily have trashed your tire and required a replacement that would have cost you a whole lot more than a tire gauge you can keep in the glove box would cost.

You are lucky. If you ignore warning lights, you could very easily get scammed, but it won't be by the dealer, it will be by your failure to check out a warning light.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Are they saying the needle is in the side wall and you have to get a new tire? Usually they won't make something up like that. And no my tire lights never came on and I have 55k on the first set of tires now. Sometime nail is very hard to see when it doesn't have a head. It could also be near the inside wall then you would not see it at all unless you take out the tire.

When I had my Mini, I had a nail in one of the tire for almost 2 months. I have to put air in about once every 2 weeks but I could not find the nail. After 2 months, I just got tired and took it to a tire shop. They found the nail and patched it for free. I just tip the guy $10.

·
Registered
990 Posts
The tire pressure light goes on? Mine came on a few days before the mileage hit 19700k. I probably drove it for about a week with no problems when the light became lit.
I took it to Toyota because Lexus is far.. suspecting whether or not it is just a normal for 20k but turns out they said I had a needle in the tire. My dad had checked my car before and didn't notice a needle and tire pressure seemed normal. Now I am just wondering if I got scammed.
Wait you're thinking you got scammed because your tire pressure warning light came on just before your 20,000 mile service? How could the dealer control your warning light going on? Did they send someone out to put a nail in your tire? What does the 20,000 service have to do with it? It would make more sense if it was at 49,999 miles before your warranty is up.

The tire pressure monitor is a very simple system. It goes off when the tire pressure of one tire drops below the pressure of the other 3 tires. Did your dad take off all 4 wheels and thoroughly inspect the tires? People drive around with nails in their tires for months without even knowing. No one is scamming you. Bring your car to discount tire, pay to get it fixed. Problem solved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toyota filled it for $34. Not really saying they scammed me but my dad was assuring me he had checked the tires and pressure and it was all normal so I was just curious. The tire pressure light came on almost the same time my meter said "maintenance required soon" or whatever the message is. The hole was on the inner portion so he could have missed it. He was telling me that specific toyota dealership had history of 'scamming people.' For the 20k maintenance they charged $110 so it was a pretty darn good deal. I was just seeing if the two were connected. Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
84 Posts
WOW! $34 FOR CHECKING AND FILLING UP YOUR TIRES! Now thats a scam! You can check it yourself for free and if you have a nail in it just take it to a tire shop. Average price for a tire repair is around $20 and sometimes lexus dealership will even do it for free.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Toyota filled it for $34. Not really saying they scammed me but my dad was assuring me he had checked the tires and pressure and it was all normal so I was just curious. The tire pressure light came on almost the same time my meter said "maintenance required soon" or whatever the message is. The hole was on the inner portion so he could have missed it. He was telling me that specific toyota dealership had history of 'scamming people.' For the 20k maintenance they charged $110 so it was a pretty darn good deal. I was just seeing if the two were connected. Thanks for the replies
Wait they filled your tires for $34 or they fixed your nail hole for $34? Those are two entirely different things.

If you know this place is a scam why go there? You pretty much set yourself up for that. It's like going to a restaurant that has had repeated cases of food poisoning. You go there at your own risk and if you get sick you really can't complain.

·
Registered
609 Posts
$34 is probably cheap for a dealership fix. If you take it to a tire shop to fix it, they will probably charge you anywhere from $0 to $20. They want you to go back there when you need new tires. Dealership, on the other hand, just charge you for the time of labor and parts. They probably charged you for 20 min or so for labor and part is like $2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I doubt lexus dealer filled his tire with a nail in it?! Charges to fix flat depends on whether it was plugged or patched BTW.

·
Registered
842 Posts
they plugged the tire for $34
I didn't think anyone (except people stuck with no spare in the middle of the desert) plugged tires anymore. Every repair I have had in the past few years was taken off the wheel and patched from the inside. That is not all that easy to do by yourself unless you have the equipment to remove the tire from the wheel, put it back on and balance the combination. Somebody has to pay for that equipment, especially in a place that uses it once in a while. Which is why the suggestion that you go to a tire store is a good suggestion. I thought that plugging the tires caused the radial plies and weaken the tires, causing premature failure. A good patch job doesn't affect the life of the tire. Of course, my wife managed to get a nail in the SIDE of her tire (don't ask) and punctures there can't be repaired, they can only be replaced. Try doing that at a truck stop in a rural area.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
thanks joe
on my receipt it says "plug patch repair"
is this the kind that causes premature failure? should I take it to my regular dealership to get it checked out?

I remember the guy telling me they were going to repair from the inside out but all I see on the tire is a giant plug but I'm not sure what kind it is so I just assumed

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think plug patch is actually patch repair. They repair the tire from inside out. Plug however is done from outside. Call the dealer ask which to be sure. You need to make sure it was patched not plugged. A plugged tire is not as safe. Regardless, $34 is not big deal either way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Considering the time it takes for to dismount, plug/patch and remount a tire I doubt the dealer scammed you here. I am sure the Tech that had to do it was annoyed since they probably make nothing on that $34. TPMS only comes on for 2 reasons, low air pressure or its broken.

Lesson learned. If your TPMS comes on, take it to a tire shop. Discount Tire/Americas Tire usually patches tires for cheap.

·
Registered
842 Posts
thanks joe
on my receipt it says "plug patch repair"
is this the kind that causes premature failure? should I take it to my regular dealership to get it checked out?

I remember the guy telling me they were going to repair from the inside out but all I see on the tire is a giant plug but I'm not sure what kind it is so I just assumed
I think a plug patch is different from just a plug. It usually means a patch that is put on the inside of a tire, after cleaning the surface, and a plug that is put through the tread area from the inside to the outside that will fill the small hole that caused the leak and which is part of the patch so it helps bond the patch to the tire casing. I bet it is fine, and frankly, I wouldn't do it for $34 but tire places that do this a lot do lots of them and are probably far more skilled than I am.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts