Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay this has been mentioned in many threads but I felt it deserved a thread all of its own........

Has anyone replaced these yet? The manual says they are dealer fit. I had a close look today and you need to undo the screws behind the mirror, meaning you need to pop the mirror out. I am just not brave enough without some guidance.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
410 Posts
LOL Yes, it is similar to changing them in the IS from what I've read. However, I'm definitely am not skilled enough to attempt without some help. I know my limitations. ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Do you have a link to an IS DIY?

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jimmy: I can't remember if this was the thread. I did a search for puddle lights on the Club Lexus site (IS section) and there were a bunch. Here's one link. LED Lighting Replacement Guide (w/Pics) - Club Lexus Forums
I did the mod on my is, very easy as you just had to undo the scews slightly and the puddle light unit would pull out and you could replace the bulbs. The CT does not seem to be so easy. There seem to be 4 screws holding the back of the mirror on and to get to the light these need to be removed to take the back ff. I think they make this a dealer option as to do it properly you need to pop the mirror off and then glue it back on.

·
Registered
410 Posts
No balls here! :p I definitely won't be trying it. I'll just be patient. Someone will figure it out. ;-)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Everyone,

Good news: I've replaced the puddle lamps with LEDS, it's easy and yes it is very similar to the IS as well as the RX

Bad news: No way to do it without popping the mirror off.

The CT mirror is more similar to the RX than the IS; you can change the puddle lamp on the IS without removing the mirrors....

Here's a link to the RX DIY i used: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation/513632-diy-led-puddle-lamps.html

The process and parts are almost identical. Ironically it was easier to take out the mirror than it was to pop it back in.

Hope this helps. Btw, anyone tried changing the vanity lights to LEDS? I can't figure out how to pop out the covers to get to the bulbs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Everyone,

Good news: I've replaced the puddle lamps with LEDS, it's easy and yes it is very similar to the IS as well as the RX

There are 4 plastic clips that hold the mirror in place, if you adjust the mirror to point as far up as possible you will be able to reach under the mirror and pop it out. In addition there are a total of 5 screws that hold the mirror assembly together; sadly only 3 are accessible without taking the mirror off. If you work up the courage to pop off the mirror and take off the 5 screws then the entire mirror assembly can be opened up and you will then have access to the puddle lamp housing.

Ironically it was easier to take out the mirror than it was to pop it back in.
Pictures, pictures, pictures please!!!

Also, was the mirror glued, there is a rumour that this is why the dealer has to do it, there is glue holding the centre of the mirror on? Also, were your mirrors heated? Wondering if this makes any difference to the removal.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Driver side mirror has something that resembles that blue tacky stuff ppl used to use to hold up posters with except it's white in this case; it's stretchy and not sticky and I can hardly consider it glue so no worries there. Passenger side mirror had nothing other than the clips. My mirrors are heated, but IMO I don't think it really makes a difference. Check out the RX link I posted, the process is 100% identical and the results are similar as well.

Crap, I had edited the last post but forgot to save haha!

Here's the link: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation/513632-diy-led-puddle-lamps.html

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Driver side mirror has something that resembles that blue tacky stuff ppl used to use to hold up posters with except it's white in this case; it's stretchy and not sticky and I can hardly consider it glue so no worries there. Passenger side mirror had nothing other than the clips. My mirrors are heated, but IMO I don't think it really makes a difference. Check out the RX link I posted, the process is 100% identical and the results are similar as well.

Crap, I had edited the last post but forgot to save haha!

Here's the link: DIY LED Puddle Lamps - Club Lexus Forums
Very useful, thanks for that. I, like most people I think are a little concerned about snapping the mirror out, if you break it a replacement is probably a whole new door mirror (knowing Lexus) and the last time I looked these were nearly £500.00! So I might just have to live with those yellow lights, unless I build up the courage......... Keep watching!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey Everyone,

The CT mirror is more similar to the RX than the IS; you can change the puddle lamp on the IS without removing the mirrors....

Here's a link to the RX DIY i used: DIY LED Puddle Lamps - Club Lexus Forums

The process and parts are almost identical. Ironically it was easier to take out the mirror than it was to pop it back in.

Hope this helps. Btw, anyone tried changing the vanity lights to LEDS? I can't figure out how to pop out the covers to get to the bulbs.
Yes, that is really bad news. :( I wont' be trying that DIY anytime soon. hehe

However, I did change my vanity lights. However, I wrote out all the directions when I did it almost 2 mos ago. I figured I would forget how I installed them by the time they need replacing. hehe So, now it isn't quite as clear when I read it back to myself. Geez.... :confused: However, I think you will understand what I mean when you're look at the fixture. Here ya go...

Vanity lights: Use butter knife on the left side. Gently pry the plastic trim and clear plastic together. The entire unit comes out. (has a check shaped clip on left) Pops back when done.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very useful, thanks for that. I, like most people I think are a little concerned about snapping the mirror out, if you break it a replacement is probably a whole new door mirror (knowing Lexus) and the last time I looked these were nearly £500.00! So I might just have to live with those yellow lights, unless I build up the courage......... Keep watching!
Had another look today, could undo 3 of the 4 screws without taking the mirror off but just can't get to the last one. So yet again gave up. Did apply some pressure to the mirror to see if it would pop off but it didn't give an inch, frustrating or what...........

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Had another look today, could undo 3 of the 4 screws without taking the mirror off but just can't get to the last one. So yet again gave up. Did apply some pressure to the mirror to see if it would pop off but it didn't give an inch, frustrating or what...........
Go for it - mirrors are only $60 each if you are a registered Club Lexus member with Sewell

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

87961 8796176040
MIRROR OUTER, LH
$59.52

87931 8793176040
OUTER MIRROR, RH
$59.52

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!

See the link below for a couple of shots of the inside of the mirror, once you get it open you can see the screws you need to take out but be careful once that last screw comes out the mirror falls apart. Also, there is no glue or tacky stuff in the centre of the mirror. I did mine on a nice warm day as plastic becomes brittle when cold (just a tip). Another thing to mention, I had downward facing LEDS, unfortunately the bulb holder sits at an angle so will have to order some standard LED bulbs, as I have done it once the confidence level is overflowing!

So, move the mirror to its furthest point upwards, then place your fingers behind the mirror and slowly but firmly pull it towards you and up, eventually the clips will release, there are 4 of them (sorry the picture only shows 3 but I couldn't see the camera due to the sun).

Putting it back on is a little fiddly as you have to believe that all four clips are back in place, then check the mirrors for position as you might have moved them with all the pushing.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104237242991886167918/LexusCT200HMirrorRemoval?authkey=Gv1sRgCI3J4f_Dtqfn8gE&feat=directlink

Hope this helps, but the job is done, I now had all LED's..........

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
Great job! Any reference #'s for led that should be used?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Great job! Any reference #'s for led that should be used?
As I said, I had two downward facing LED's as I replaced the puddle lights in my IS250 and due to the nature of the design downward facing were the best, presumed the CT would be the same, silly me! The bulb holder only goes in one way and then turns to lock, it has specific cut outs so you only have one choice, so when I installed the downward facing and did it up it sat at an angle, will have to wait until it gets dark to see if this makes a difference, oh and the housing has no reflector in it, it is just white inside.

There is plenty of room inside the housing of the puddle light so any stock LED bulb would fit, for now will live with the ones I have and look to replace if I am not happy with the light level.

Hope this helps, and come on Audi4T you know you want to change them now!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Nice work Chunky, thanks for sharing! I remember reading on the IS link that the light levels from the LED's weren't that great. Can you comment on this with your install?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice work Chunky, thanks for sharing! I remember reading on the IS link that the light levels from the LED's weren't that great. Can you comment on this with your install?
I must admit when I did the mod on the IS apart from them being white instead of yellowish it didn't make much difference.

Waiting for it to get dark to see what they are like on the CT as the puddle light is a different design. If I am not happy will be ordering a couple of LEDs, the ones that have them mounted all round, if that makes sense. Currently have downard facing LED's fitted but that are at an angle due to the design of the bulb holder and you just can't get them to face down, again if that makes sense.

Will report back later.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I must admit when I did the mod on the IS apart from them being white instead of yellowish it didn't make much difference.

Waiting for it to get dark to see what they are like on the CT as the puddle light is a different design. If I am not happy will be ordering a couple of LEDs, the ones that have them mounted all round, if that makes sense. Currently have downard facing LED's fitted but that are at an angle due to the design of the bulb holder and you just can't get them to face down, again if that makes sense.

Will report back later.
Well as promised pictures, please follow the link. Have also added shots of the other LED upgrades, hope you like them.

PS. Sorrry about the quality of photo, I like my cars but am rubbish with a camera!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/104237242991886167918/LexusCT200HLEDUpgrades?authkey=Gv1sRgCJPbveXxvris7wE&feat=directlink

1 - 20 of 26 Posts