Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda late to this game, but hopefully people will have some experience in costs

so i am about to email what i was told to be one of the best headlight guys in toronto, about upgrading the stock halogen headlights and fog lights to LED, but i have no idea what to expect in terms of cost. so even if i get a reply, i dunno if its overpriced or not

what would be the standard costs for the (good reliable) parts? how much would the labor costs be? and what would be a reasonable warranty period?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
990 Posts
kinda late to this game, but hopefully people will have some experience in costs

so i am about to email what i was told to be one of the best headlight guys in toronto, about upgrading the stock halogen headlights and fog lights to LED, but i have no idea what to expect in terms of cost. so even if i get a reply, i dunno if its overpriced or not

what would be the standard costs for the (good reliable) parts? how much would the labor costs be? and what would be a reasonable warranty period?

thanks in advance
I don't think anyone has done it because the cost is so great that you might as well just trade your car in for one that has the LED headlamps already..There are more parts than just the headlamp housing. The wiring also needs to be swapped and that's quite involved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the guy wrote back telling me that it's $250CAD per pair so 2 pairs for $500, plus labor where he didnt specify the costs

and he said 1 year warranty. is that too short for reliability?

maybe i should ask him if he has ever done any work on CTs in the past

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he didnt say much, all he said is that they are HID lights

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think the LEDs he offers are only the interior ones that we can buy for a couple of bucks on ebay

but either way.....i read the other $75 LED thread. looks like the LEDs do burn out over time? that's my concern, i dont want to worry about it again in a couple of years. guess i should stick to the stock halogens for long term reliability?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
129 Posts
finally had a good read on the $75 lights, looks like there is no other parts needed and it's just a direct swap? how reliable are these LED lights?
I've been using the 1st gen since June '14 daily and picked up the 2nd pair (2nd gen) in Sept off a member here who wasn't happy with the brightness. Ironically, the only issue aside from people saying that the LEDs aren't up to their personal standard of brightness, is the OP who wrote the DIY recently had one of his LEDs fail, which you may have read about in his "$75 LED" thread. I haven't had any issues so far and spent less money getting two sets of LEDs than one set of Morimoto HIDs.

LEDs theoretically will last longer than HIDs and won't generate as much heat, but will not be as bright. This is why Lexus's LED headlights have two LEDs for each assembly.

That said, if the LEDs that I currently have break I would probably pick up the Morimotos.

Oh, I remembered you like blue too. If you get LEDs, you'll have to get 6000K unless they recently came out w/ more options, but it's a pretty nice white w/ a hint of blue. If you get Morimotos, I would get no greater than 5000K because the 6000K is a bit too blue IMO.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The LED bulbs that some members replaced in this board is only 20W each and may not be bright enough. I swapped mine halogen bulbs with the 36w CREE Xlamp MT-G2 LED at the low beams. They are certainly much brighter than the OEM halogen. The cost is about $60. You can shop around for different type of wattage, they range from 20w to 40w for each bulb.

D1 H7 H8 H11 LED Headlight bulb 3200lm replace car head light 6500K Xenon white D1 led Head lamp fog light bulb 12V 24V headlamp-in Light Source from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I remembered you like blue too. If you get LEDs, you'll have to get 6000K unless they recently came out w/ more options, but it's a pretty nice white w/ a hint of blue. If you get Morimotos, I would get no greater than 5000K because the 6000K is a bit too blue IMO.
legally, headlamps fog lights are much more restrictive. i forgot what colors are prohibited. i know for sure pure yellow or any crazy color is a no go. blue may be very borderline because they look really saturated. if i were to go with LED headlamps i would go for white to be on the safe side legally.

so are there 2 sets of halogens for the headlights? kinda confused now

·
Registered
195 Posts
legally, headlamps fog lights are much more restrictive. i forgot what colors are prohibited. i know for sure pure yellow or any crazy color is a no go. blue may be very borderline because they look really saturated. if i were to go with LED headlamps i would go for white to be on the safe side legally.

so are there 2 sets of halogens for the headlights? kinda confused now
There are 3 sets, low beams, high beams and fog lights. LEDs in 6000k is ideal. Anything higher becomes bluish and not bright enough.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anything on ebay i can look into? i may change one pair at a time first since i have zero experience in this

·
Registered
195 Posts
anything on ebay i can look into? i may change one pair at a time first since i have zero experience in this
Ebay listed the same bulbs for a least $20 more for some reasons. There is a new 2015 version for the 30W bulbs at Aliexpress. The low beam & fog lights are H11 while the high beams are H9. They are direct plug & play LEDs...a 10 min. job. like changing your halogen bulbs.

Aliexpress.com : Buy 2015 New Arrival H8 H9 H11 LED Headlight Bulbs for Car Headlight Retrofit 30W High Power Waterproof Free Shipping from Reliable bulb 24v suppliers on Weiguan Auto Accessories Co., Ltd. | Alibaba Group

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so for a complete swap, i need to order 2 sets of H11 30W and one set H9 30W

i try to avoid aliexpress and prefer ebay coz i can use paypal for a bit more protection if ***** happens. but that being said, if i were to get 3 sets, i may go for aliexpress. but the link provided, it says H8 H9 H11, so which one is it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
so for a complete swap, i need to order 2 sets of H11 30W and one set H9 30W

i try to avoid aliexpress and prefer ebay coz i can use paypal for a bit more protection if ***** happens. but that being said, if i were to get 3 sets, i may go for aliexpress. but the link provided, it says H8 H9 H11, so which one is it?
I had been ordering stuffs from Aliexpress for quite a few years already. Aliexpess has even better protection for buyers because they won't release your credit card payment till you receive the products and get your permission to release payment without filing claim. Try it once and you will know what I mean.

Your protection is your credit card and Aliexpress's policy. The vendors for LEDs in Ebay & Aliexpress are all from China or HongKong with the same products so it's your choice to decide. When you order, there is a NOTE section at the payment area below where you can specify 2 sets of H11 6000k and 1 set of H9 bulbs 6000K. It's the page where you press "confirm to pay".

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hmmm, do i need to lift the car up to reach into the fog light assembly?

·
Registered
195 Posts
hmmm, do i need to lift the car up to reach into the fog light assembly?
No. you only nhave to unscrew 2 bolts under the front bumper so you can reach & unplug the fog light bulb and replace with the LED bulb. The owner manual has instruction on how to change fog light bulbs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i dont have a jack, are the 2 bolts easy to access without getting too dirty?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts