Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replacing 2011-2013 rear bumper with 2014

Question: Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the rear bumper (casing only) of a 2011-2013 model CT with the new 2014? If so, would the upgrade be DIY?

Answer: Yes and yes. You can pick this up at Sewell (will be ~$750), you'll need to pick up two pieces: the rear bumper and the "F-Sport Rear Fascia Enhancement". Regarding the incompatibilities between 2011-13 rear bumper and the 2014, it is only 2 of the 7 clips under the bumper. I fixed this issue quite easily with zip ties, so everything is secure. The main screws (the two hex in the trunk area and the philips head in the rear tire well) fit perfectly. You will also use your red reflectors from your old bumper.

Before:

After:

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be? It would be a DIY unless you want to pay to get it done. Should be easy.
Thanks for the reply! I emailed the rep at SewellParts and they told me that the item is strictly for the 2014 model CT. This item:
2014 CT200h: Bumper, Rear Painted - One-piece OEM Super Olefin Polymer rear bumper specific to the Lexus CT Hybrid.This high-tech, high-quality polymer material for flexible bumper facias has a low coefficient of expansion with heat. Accordingly, it

·
Registered
486 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Did they explain why it is 2014 only?
Nope. They said, "the bumper in question applies only to the 2014 model year CT." I would have tried to call and ask since the website says to call for pricing anyway, but I can't seem to find a phone number listed on the site.

I just called my local Lexus dealership and asked. The service rep said that he "believes" the rear for the 2013 will match the 2014 and also approximated a quote for about $1,200 for the part, painting and installation. Hope this helps with anyone also interested in upgrading their bumper.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 2012 and am interested in getting the 2014 rear bumper as well but have the same concern that it would fit.
I tried calling to a few local body shops and no one seems to give a definite answer...probably because most work is restoring to factory and also because it's a pretty expensive for only a cosmetic change.

Looking at the diagrams on Sewells, it really does look like they would match up pretty evenly.

2011-2013 Rear bumper: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/oem/1400x1000/522360.jpg
2014 Rear bumper: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/images/oem/1400x1000/522898.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
I email Sewell they emailed back stating they are work on a kit for 2014 upgrade. The bumper will fit according to my service dept and parts dept at my local lexus dealer. No change to bumper except the over all appearance. All brackets and clips are the same.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems like there are quite a few of us interested in the rear swap. Maybe having enough of us interested would make Sewell come up with something faster?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Aye I should have gone ahead and did it myself. Can't seem to get a definite answer from anyone so I already bought a Tom's rear lip instead. Great for you though, Looks really nice, good job.

·
Registered
486 Posts
According to someone at Sewell, the rear bumper will NOT fit.
I am probably going to buy the canadian f sport one.

edit:

Looks like it will fit!
Thanks a lot for the updates everyone!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Question: Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the rear bumper (casing only) of a 2011-2013 model CT with the new 2014? If so, would the upgrade be DIY?

Answer: Yes and yes. Just put on the 2014 rear bumper.

Before:

After:
Brilliant work! Would you mind letting us know where did you buy the latest bumper, and how much did it end up costing you? Thanks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Where are you getting the bumper from? I didn't know there's a Canadian f-sport style rear bumper. Not been on the loop for a while I guess. How much does it cost here vs getting one from the US?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Updated OP with more details. Expensive upgrade (~$750), but worth it to me to get rid of that tailbone/*** of a bumper I had before.

Indeed. They told me the same a few times before I just went ahead and took the gamble. Due to a few minor changes between attachment points under the bumper Sewell will never say the bumpers are compatible, but as you can see, the bumpers are interchangeable. I doubt Sewell will ever make a "kit" like they did with the front bumper because they would have to have Lexus make modified 2014 rear bumpers to correct those attachment points. As I put in my OP, the attachment points incompatibility can be corrected and secured.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Updated OP with more details. Expensive upgrade (~$750), but worth it to me to get rid of that tailbone/*** of a bumper I had before.

Indeed. They told me the same a few times before I just went ahead and took the gamble. Due to a few minor changes between attachment points Sewell will never say the bumpers are compatible, but as you can see, the bumpers are interchangeable. I doubt Sewell will ever make a "kit" like they did with the front bumper because they would have to have Lexus make modified 2014 rear bumpers to correct those attachment points. As I put in my OP, those attachment points the incompatibility can be corrected and secured.
Indeed the tailbone gets on my nerves as well. Never understood who in their right mind would tailbone in a bumper design.

Do you have any pictures for your installation by any chance? Seems easy install though from your revised original post.

·
Banned
325 Posts
Nice to know about this conversion. Its really awesome and it gives a massive look. As you know the new model bumper is cool than the previous model. I like it so much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts