Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One thing that's missing from the CT200h is ability to open the rear door from inside the car. Here's how I added a remote switch to open the rear door from the driver seat.

Using 2 lead wire, tapped into #2 & #3 wiring of rear door opener connector

Run the 2 lead wire through the roof liner to the front dashboard. Then attached the 2 lead wire to a momentary switch. I installed the momentary switch on the left side panel of steering wheel column.

I purposely chose this spot as to avoid accidentally pressing the switch by mistake.
Now I can pop open the rear door from the driver seat when my wife loads up her shopping bags.

Cheers,
Bill :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
Great idea! Thanks so much.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just wondering your use here? The rear hatch does not open fully by itself so you have to touch the door anyway and my hand naturally hits the open button while I lift.

Now an auto open/close hatch door would be the shiz

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just wondering your use here? The rear hatch does not open fully by itself so you have to touch the door anyway and my hand naturally hits the open button while I lift.

Now an auto open/close hatch door would be the shiz
I'm sure if you search hard enough you'll find an auto open/close kit on the internet.

Anyway here are some reasons why I did this.
1- Aside from us (the drivers), not everyone is familiar with the open button.
2- If you remove the door weigh, rear door is now easier to lift up.

3- I just hold the remote switch a few second longer and my wife can easily lift the rear door up without fumbling for the open button.
4- I use the remote switch to open just the rear door without unlocking all other doors.
5- Finally, knowing I have the only CT200h with the remote switch is...priceless.:)

I understand there will always be folks who would question the need for this setup or argue against it. My response is "To each his own".

Cheers,

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nice enhancement/tweak/hack on Lexus system. However, I am afraid that it would void the warranty! :( it's crazy if you have to deal w/ it in future... but oh well it is what it is :) cheers mate!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Nice enhancement/tweak/hack on Lexus system. However, I am afraid that it would void the warranty! :( it's crazy if you have to deal w/ it in future... but oh well it is what it is :) cheers mate!!
Making small mods to your car or using non OEM parts does not affect the warranty in any way. There is a specific law preventing this. What is your basis for saying this?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Making small mods to your car or using non OEM parts does not affect the warranty in any way. There is a specific law preventing this. What is your basis for saying this?
While you might be technically right, (I think the law you are referring to is the Moss-Magnuson act) I think your position is very much overstated. All the manufacturer has to do is refuse to do free warranty work and then you can sue them. You hire an expert to say that your mod had no effect on the vehicle items warranted and they bring one of the several thousand engineers with Doctors degrees to say that the only reason the wheel lug failed was the 22 inch rims you put on the car. Good luck with that.

Toyota has the hardest line of any manufacturer on these issues. I asked my dealer to put in an extra cigarette lighter type socket for my phone and they refused, saying that Toyota had told them that ANY work on any aspect of the electrical system of a hybrid would be considered by them to "potentially" void the warranty and so they were NOT to do any work unless it was approved warranty repairs.

I put it in anyway and also did a couple of other things, but I am under no illusions that it is risk free. Almost every mod I have done is totally reversible and probably not even noticeable by them anyway.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,

I am interested in your ideal of installing a switch at the drive side to open the rear door. My spouse would love it. However, I have problem to access the remote switch at the rear door. I am not able to remove the the rear door trim (hatch panel). It seems to me that the problem is in (near) the handle, where one pulls rear door for closing. can anyone help?

One thing that's missing from the CT200h is ability to open the rear door from inside the car. Here's how I added a remote switch to open the rear door from the driver seat.

Using 2 lead wire, tapped into #2 & #3 wiring of rear door opener connector

Run the 2 lead wire through the roof liner to the front dashboard. Then attached the 2 lead wire to a momentary switch. I installed the momentary switch on the left side panel of steering wheel column.

I purposely chose this spot as to avoid accidentally pressing the switch by mistake.
Now I can pop open the rear door from the driver seat when my wife loads up her shopping bags.

Cheers,

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. I am interested in the same. Where did you get the switch and how did you wire up the wires to the switch ?
The idea is to create a "short" between pin 2 and 3 on the back door opener switch hence I am using a momentary switch to achieve this. You can find similar type switch from Ebay or Amazon. I ran a 2-wire cable from the back door opener switch all the way to driver side dash panel. I purposely chose my location to be out of the way to avoid opening the back door accidentally. But you can mount the switch anywhere you prefer. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cool mod. Anyone have a part number for a switch to do this mod but use one of the 5 banks of blanks so it looks like a factory switch?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts