Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Resisted screwing the OEM bracket into that pristine bumper. Decided to mount it from below.

As an added bonus, In certain locales, I can drive around without the front plate exposed.

Keeping the integrity of the look of the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have thought of doing the same thing....how did you attach the bracket to the lower grill?

In California, they are becoming real aggresive in citing for lack of front plates....a new source of revenue generation. Also, they are doing the same for tinted windows. I have had citations left on my car for both when it was parked in a private parking lot!!!

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Attached with washered flat sheet metal screws and flat spring nuts. Secured to the engine undercover.

Yeah, although I've probably seen 9 or 10 cars without front plates driving around today, they are getting aggressive on those "fix it" tickets for front plates. . . Like you say, "a new source for revenue generation". As far as the overzealous cops wanting to tag for window tint, CA VC26708d states it is legal as long as it doesn't go below 70% on the fronts. Tint on rear and back must have side view mirrors.
Tagged you parked in a private lot?!?! Bummer. Sounds desperate.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have had citations left on my car for both when it was parked in a private parking lot!!!
Yes be extra careful when parking in any long term parking near LAX whether it is owned by LAX or private. Make sure you don't back into parking space and park your front as close to the wall as possible. At least make them walk to the front and check otherwise they could just do a walk by and scan.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ok, just got my plates but don't see any pre-drilled holes for the front, I see the dimples but they are too far apart for the supplied plastic bracket. Do I also need to purchase a license plate frame? It seem like you have to drill a hole in the bumper, which seems like a bad design. Also the supplied screw doesn't want to go easily in the hole, might have to really force it through.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you look at the pics of my front bumper, there are 2 "dimple" holes there. The spread is 10 1/4" apart. The OEM bracket does have the holes spread at exactly 10 1/4" apart with the left side hole elongated to make up for any misalignment between the bracket and dimple holes. Perhaps the dealer gave you the wrong bracket? The bag the bracket came in has 2 self tapping screws, however, it did not come with license plate bolts. I bought a frame and bolts separately from ebay which came with chrome caps. I also got license plate bolts from a local auto parts store.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey Midijab.... what did you use to cover up the holes from the upper front bumper? I have PA license and we don't even get a front plate so first thing I did was take off the front bracket and put two white screws back on. Did you actually fill them up and paint?

Thanks! Yours looks great.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Midijab.... what did you use to cover up the holes from the upper front bumper? I have PA license and we don't even get a front plate so first thing I did was take off the front bracket and put two white screws back on. Did you actually fill them up and paint?

Thanks! Yours looks great.
Thanks! I wish they would only issue 1 plate in CA as well. I never drilled the front bumper as I asked the dealer not to prior to delivering the car. I know you can get hole plugs from bumperplugs.com . Those work really well and you can get the toyota pearl top coat spray and spray the white plugs from them for a better match.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would be fun to get one of this:

Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder [motoplatehold] - $150.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here

When you get pulled over for not having a front plate.. push the button.... "Are you sure I don't have a front plate?"
Almost got that one for that very reason (while chuckling under my breath) but the motor makes the bracket hang down real low. A guy with a mustang got his mangled when going up a driveway. Needless to say he went back to the manual one. :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
I finally decided to put the front plates on because I think it will actually protect that part of the bumper from those people who park by feel. Even a slight bump, especially rear plate screws protruding could be damaging.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally decided to put the front plates on because I think it will actually protect that part of the bumper from those people who park by feel. Even a slight bump, especially rear plate screws protruding could be damaging.
Yes, unfortunately there's no "anti-gorilla" parking prevention. The plate bracket is pretty thin as it is and parallel parkers who park by feel in the US unfortunately will get that first bump in favoring the passenger side, completely missing you're bumper mounted plate bracket. So, in the mean time I get to enjoy the look as long as I can. I do my best to avoid parallel parking stalls and even park as far away on end stalls. Having to walk a little more is always good. :)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Would be fun to get one of this:

Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder Motorized Hide Away License Plate Holder [motoplatehold] - $150.00 : Swift Motorsports, Import Performance Starts Here

When you get pulled over for not having a front plate.. push the button.... "Are you sure I don't have a front plate?"
Wow, that is just awesome! Wish I knew about this before having the dealer put mine in the OEM install location. James Bond, thanks for the idea!

Though I would love the see the front of that plate on the GT-R after scraping the ground a few times, that car is low!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks! I wish they would only issue 1 plate in CA as well. I never drilled the front bumper as I asked the dealer not to prior to delivering the car. I know you can get hole plugs from bumperplugs.com . Those work really well and you can get the toyota pearl top coat spray and spray the white plugs from them for a better match.
Wow thanks so much, never knew about bumper plugs. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I actually signed a liability paper for the dealer to leave the plate mount off, but when I picked it up, the bracket was already drilled and installed. :(
I ran an Eagle Talon in California for 10 years with no plate, and no problem. My brother got "no plate" tickets on his Corvette, and his Lotus Cortina, so I guess, its "How lucky do you feel?"
I don't know how the low mount would compromise engine cooling, but you might want to keep an eye on it ...tough with no temp gage!

·
Registered
35 Posts
rho tow hook plate mod..i had one for my IS going to order one for my new ct...i also ordered the bumper plugs and they come preprinted as you select your color..it was like $32 shipped..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts