Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some honest feedback. I recently put my deposit down on a CT200h after a limited test drive. Since then, I have been reading and re-reading some of the reviews and have become concerned with the performance of the car during acceleration and long hill climbs.

Now, I fully realize that I didn't buy a rocket ship, but just how annoying can the engine and CVT noise be when climbing long highway grades or hills?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Way overblown in my opinion. I've never felt like this car wasn't up to the task of accelerating up to highway speeds or dealing with moderate hills climbs (can't speak to severe and prolonged climbs). I've also been pleasantly surprised how easily it accelerates at the top end (like going from 70 to 85mph or so). The car is what it is. I never had the expectation of winning drag races but I also never felt impaired while driving it due to lack of power.

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
We wouldn't have bought the CT if it were our only car.

Fuel economy only goes so far.

It is a good car not a great car and while my wife enjoys it she's not a car fanatic.

For me as an everyday driver it would be too slow and potentially the lack of adequate acceleration would create passing hazards.

I'm always having to second guess if I can safely pass the vehicle ahead of me.

If you can't get to drive another CT at least test drive a Prius to get a feel for the drive train.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
How old are you and what kind of car are you coming from? I'm 35 and just came from a heavily modded '04 RWD G35 sedan, good amount of power and boy did I have my fun with that car. I now have had a CT for over a week now and don't regret it. If gas was only $2.00 a gallon, would I be in the CT? No, not at all. But the price of living keeps going up and gas is way more than it used to be, so I'm trying to be more responsible. I'm married with 2 kids (if that matters). The car is great, and I am happy I made the switch.

Good luck, hope that helps. If you don't like it after you get it, I don't think you'll have issues selling it or making almost all of your money back.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
It doesn't have the performance that some may want, but as said, its more about the fuel economy and tech features. But its comfortable, saves a heck on gas, looks good, and I barely notice the engine noise with the tunes playing loudly. Its still a lot quieter than my previous vehicle with HKS exhaust.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Way overblown in my opinion. I've never felt like this car wasn't up to the task of accelerating up to highway speeds or dealing with moderate hills climbs (can't speak to severe and prolonged climbs). I've also been pleasantly surprised how easily it accelerates at the top end (like going from 70 to 85mph or so). The car is what it is. I never had the expectation of winning drag races but I also never felt impaired while driving it due to lack of power.
Fully agree with this.
I was driving an SUV before and acceleration on the CT is much better.
LOVE the car!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Now, I fully realize that I didn't buy a rocket ship, but just how annoying can the engine and CVT noise be when climbing long highway grades or hills?
Depends on your experiences.

If you are used to quiet luxury cars with soft rides, you will notice it but you won't notice the power.

If you are used to performance cars with rough noisy rides, you won't notice the noise but you will notice the power.

If you are adaptable and tend to not notice things after a little while of driving a car, you will adjust within a couple days and not notice it.

No car is perfect (that I know of) and this car does enough things right to make it something important and worth owning.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I agree with most of that, except for this part:

If you are used to performance cars with rough noisy rides, you won't notice the noise but you will notice the power.
My Infiniti had several exhaust and intake mods and had some good intake noise and exhaust note under load and WOT....a pleasant sound (to those that like that sort of thing). The noise this CT engine makes under load and up hills took me by surprise, kind of wish they were able to mute it in some way.

Just sharing my $0.02 on this matter for the original posters benefit.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I need some honest feedback. I recently put my deposit down on a CT200h after a limited test drive. Since then, I have been reading and re-reading some of the reviews and have become concerned with the performance of the car during acceleration and long hill climbs.

Last weekend I tested out my new CT and drove California I-5 (the Grapevine) which has a 6% grade for five miles. I set the cruise control on 70mph and comfortably made the climb with no loss of speed. While it never left the power mode, it wasn't topped out either.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I am set to pick up mine in 3 week. Like you i am concerned about the reviewers cons (acceleration and rear seat space).
I am coming from a 2nd gen gs so think i will miss the two extra cylinders and space. I will not however miss the $75 fill ups.

·
Registered
200 Posts

After having my CT200h for 3 months I am fully satisfied with the vehicle and performance. I think the reviews that say it is underpowered are overblown. From A dead stop going up a moderate hill the car holds its own with almost every vehicle save for a big muscle car.
Is it the best car to load 5 people in and a ton of sports equipment, no way.
If you need an SUV or a minivan then that is what you need.

The CT200h has a certain niche. Compact car, near luxury interior, quiet ride, great fuel economy, ability to carry up to 5 people, fair carrying space.

For 99% of the time the car meets my needs well. If I occasionally need to get bags of mulch from Home Depot then I break out the SUV. I now drive the SUV rarely but keep it for long family trips. At 130,000 miles my Honda Pilot has been a solid performer
As far as the noise from the CVT transmission you will notice it on a steep hill climb initially The cabin is pretty insulated so the noise isn't that noticeable. Plus once you are at a level point and cruising the engine quiets down significantly.
The Sport mode can be utilized for extra throttle on hills. I do not live in an exceptionally steep hill area so I can't comment on this. I guess route 70 through Colorado could be an issue but then again it is for many vehicles.
If you want to be first off a light and leave the other cars in the dust, don't buy the CT200h.

My issue was with gas. I was going nuts putting $75.00 in the tank of my SUV and feeling every time my money was going to one of the oil kingdoms that hate us. Now I fill up for less than $30.00 and keep $45.00 to spend at the mall or go out to dinner, or buy food for the family.
It's all in your perspective. I am much happier at the gas station and this means way more to me than just rocketing off a stop light.

My local Lexus dealer is offering to buy the car back from me as the car is popular and in short supply.

My only gripe is I wish the colors were a bit more varied. I would have really liked a blue or green offering.

My next additional car, a Nissan LEAF or maybe a Tesla S.
Tell the Arabs to shove it. We will all be better off.

CT200h premium, Starfire Pearl, Navigation, Premium audio.

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
^^^^ Nice Post! :) Well said.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The CT has a lot more power than my civic hybrid had so I am very happy.

On the noise issue the CT is no noisier than other cars take most other cars and press the trottle and keep the revs at 5000 - 6000 revs it will make quite a noise.

The issue is the CT and most hybrids have a CVT and when you put your foot down the engine will go straight to it's best power band / revs and stay there the CVT then does the work altering as the car speeds up the engine stays at the same revs. People are used to hearing the engine speed up then change gear and hear the engine speed change and speed up again they are just not used to hearing the engine speed stay constant while you speed up,
You get used to this as I did with my civic hybrid.

I love my CT F-Sport and keep looking for excuses to go out for a drive !

·
Registered
159 Posts
After having my CT200h for 3 months I am fully satisfied with the vehicle and performance. I think the reviews that say it is underpowered are overblown. From A dead stop going up a moderate hill the car holds its own with almost every vehicle save for a big muscle car.

The CT200h has a certain niche. Compact car, near luxury interior, quiet ride, great fuel economy, ability to carry up to 5 people, fair carrying space.

For 99% of the time the car meets my needs well. If I occasionally need to get bags of mulch from Home Depot then I break out the SUV. I now drive the SUV rarely but keep it for long family trips. At 130,000 miles my Honda Pilot has been a solid performer
As far as the noise from the CVT transmission you will notice it on a steep hill climb initially The cabin is pretty insulated so the noise isn't that noticeable. Plus once you are at a level point and cruising the engine quiets down significantly.
The Sport mode can be utilized for extra throttle on hills. I do not live in an exceptionally steep hill area so I can't comment on this. I guess route 70 through Colorado could be an issue but then again it is for many vehicles.
If you want to be first off a light and leave the other cars in the dust, don't buy the CT200h.

My issue was with gas. I was going nuts putting $75.00 in the tank of my SUV and feeling every time my money was going to one of the oil kingdoms that hate us. Now I fill up for less than $30.00 and keep $45.00 to spend at the mall or go out to dinner, or buy food for the family.
It's all in your perspective. I am much happier at the gas station and this means way more to me than just rocketing off a stop light.

My local Lexus dealer is offering to buy the car back from me as the car is popular and in short supply.

My only gripe is I wish the colors were a bit more varied. I would have really liked a blue or green offering.

Great analysis, fully agreee with it. And I'll say that even at entering a highway, I'm always happily surprise of the power availability in sport mode.
Did I say I love this car?:D
When I'm at the gas station, I almost have a smile!:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Regrets Not Really

I have >1/2 the previous HP of 05 TBird. But we also have an 18% hill at the entrance to our home. Put into Sport Mode and no problem. I also have a 100 mile round trip when working. Put it into ECO Mode and topped 48 MPG! Yes I share the passing concern but on two lane roads moving from 45 to 60 is smooth and effortless. Not my bird but its safe.:cool:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in a city that requires a hill climb to get out of. The CT whines a bit but you get ues to it. I am switching from a CX7 which was almost a noisey getting out of the valley but at least I no longer hear the laughter of the oil companies at the same time. I have gone from $100 at tank to $45 and added about 100 miles per fill. I can live with a little hill noise. Turn up the tunes and enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
91 Posts

Totally agree with this feedback.

I find the CVT noise under full throttle a bit loud but rarely "floor it" as tend to acceerate gently. When you take into account zero noise at 30mph it balabces out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thank you all.
I now smile at the gas station. I'm off and going with 8 gallons while others cars are still sucking down the gas with the huge tanks.
I talk up the CT200h any chance I get.
I wish I saw more of them on the road.
Anyone interested in a Maryland CT200h enthusiast club let me know.

On a sad note, Clarence Clemmons the wonderful saxophone player with Bruce Springsteen died today. Eternal peace to you Clarence.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd be very surprised if your dealer can't arrange a longer test drive. I read a few negative reports but we ordered a CT after two lengthy test drives including a steep and twisty drive through the hills. I found it a nippy little car, plus quiet, comfortable and beautifully finished. I drive an IS250 but I'm sure I'll enjoy driving the CT200h (if my partner lets me).

·
Registered
164 Posts
HeHe:DHeHe:D

Well had my CT just over a week and have settled into it well, So today On my own (every one else has gone to work and school) I thought what shall I do ? So I decided to drive to the top our nearest mountain and see how the CT went !

Well I was very impressed ( I am still grining ) Although the car is not a V6 Hot hatch so does not pull away at the lights like one (like some people seem to think this car should do " I dont ") ! once rolling and in Sports mode it is very good. Going up the mountain 20km up 20km down it was up hill all the way and very twisty the CT corners beatifully and was very responsive out of the corners great fun to drive and although the battery did get low it did not run out as it did get regen back at each corner. Coming down I still used Sport mode and the extra Braking (B) and was also great fun.

Going up I got 9.6L / 100km I did push it :D

By the time I got home overall trip I was on 6.1L / 100km

So although not the best mpg I usually get 6.1 is pretty good for the fun drive I just had :D

I have attached a photo of the stats showing going up and coming down ( I think the E's on the screen was me saying Eeeeee round the corners !!!!:D )

1 - 20 of 21 Posts