Lexus CT200h Forums banner

Refresh CT (for non US Market)

16K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  TobiasSing 
#1 ·
I wish we can get it here... oh well. I think the CT is an underrated car. I love the car and this refresh is great looking... Lexus Vehicle Car Automotive design Headlamp
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive design Lexus

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
I am interested in the new taillight as well, when I saw it, I knew it was a new design, but I kept thinking about the shape and today I did a little comparison....

I believe the outer housing are the same, the significant shape difference is the inner lamp. I could not find two prefect matching angle pictures but I did my best overlapping on 2014 and 2018 CTs.

Outer lamp you can see from the comparison picture, it is almost the same, however, while pictures are not in the same angle gaps on door and windows are not lining up.

Both inner lamp bottom side are the same width, but 2018 lamp the upper curve is different and is longer, however, the spoiler which has lexus logo on is removable and is made of plastic, so at this point you might figure something here too.....

It is unknown on the fitment behind lamps, if anyone has picture on the backend of new lamps then we might be able to compare up...

Too bad I am no longer working otherwise I would buy a set of 2018 lamps and spoiler piece to try them out... This is just a FYI, nothing is guaranteed, if you want to try it it is at at your own risk!

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
I've seen it in the street today, took a few pictures... the tail lights cannot be used on previous models, because the whole back door has changed slightly. The tail lights are composed of two parts; The one that stays behind when opening the door, and the ones in the door itself. This former ones are not compatible with previous models because the shape is different, you can see there's no angle in the upper part of the new design. I was hoping I could install these in my 2015 model but it will be impossible.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Bumper

I love the new tail lights design.

Attachments

#16 ·
Aftermarket tails are often garbage. Especially the ones found on ebay, which are generally knockoffs of Japanese aftermarket tails.

$500 Crystal Eye tails are knocked off and sold for $200 on ebay. I had a set on my old Prius and the passenger side brake lights dimmed to the point of being dangerous.

#15 ·
I see... I didn't expect that'd be a part that can be removed, always thought that's part of the door's steel. Interesting... then, technically talking, it's maybe possible (but expensive) to change it.

@gamma742 those tail lights are not as cool as the restyling ones, and on top of that, they lack the aerodynamic fins on the side, the brake light is done with just 2 LEDs, too small for my taste. If it had a big brake light it'd be tempting even without the fins. I understand some people might light this design over the original one but it's not for me.

#17 ·
bumping this thread because I am going to attempt this now. I bought an outer taillight to fiddle with the turn signal because in the FB group we had a post that on the rear turn signal acting wonky or not working properly on the facelifted CTs' where the pre-facelifted CTS there were no issues. I figured out the wiring for the rear outter turn signal needs another 12v source to prevent hyper-flashing/not working right. So I am fairly confident that I can get this working...

Also apparently I can source / see the parts on the USA dealer sits so in theory you CAN order these bits. I'll have confirmation once I call Bell Lexus in a few hours.

But the taillights DO fit the rear end, you just need the middle garnish piece and obviously need to do some wiring in order to get things right since the wiring is different. Let me say though that just this outer taillight is sooooooooooo much nicer looking that the taillights we have. It's really beautiful. I had really no desire to do this mod due to cost but honestly it's going to be worth it. The headlights not so much to me because of the DRL burning out and the fact that I would not pass inspection in my state due to the front headlight not having a side marker LED in it, but doing a projector retrofit on my currently headlights with custom clear reflectors, and the face lifted tails is gonna be a nice combo and happy medium!

Anyways here are some pictures.

Automotive lighting Hood Table Bag Automotive tail & brake light

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Rim

crappy picture of brake light illuminated.
Automotive lighting Amber Orange Heat Table

just the parking light:
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting Grille

turn signal on and not flickering or anything weird.
Automotive lighting Window Hood Amber Automotive mirror

part numbers:
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

-Nigel

#20 ·
bumping this thread because I am going to attempt this now. I bought an outer taillight to fiddle with the turn signal because in the FB group we had a post that on the rear turn signal acting wonky or not working properly on the facelifted CTs' where the pre-facelifted CTS there were no issues. I figured out the wiring for the rear outter turn signal needs another 12v source to prevent hyper-flashing/not working right. So I am fairly confident that I can get this working...

Also apparently I can source / see the parts on the USA dealer sits so in theory you CAN order these bits. I'll have confirmation once I call Bell Lexus in a few hours.

But the taillights DO fit the rear end, you just need the middle garnish piece and obviously need to do some wiring in order to get things right since the wiring is different. Let me say though that just this outer taillight is sooooooooooo much nicer looking that the taillights we have. It's really beautiful. I had really no desire to do this mod due to cost but honestly it's going to be worth it. The headlights not so much to me because of the DRL burning out and the fact that I would not pass inspection in my state due to the front headlight not having a side marker LED in it, but doing a projector retrofit on my currently headlights with custom clear reflectors, and the face lifted tails is gonna be a nice combo and happy medium!

Anyways here are some pictures.

View attachment 62506

View attachment 62507

crappy picture of brake light illuminated.
View attachment 62508

just the parking light:
View attachment 62509

turn signal on and not flickering or anything weird.
View attachment 62510

part numbers:
View attachment 62511

-Nigel
Not sure where you are getting your parts Nigel, but you are paying 40%+ more than you should. That is an astronomical price. I would recommend not ordering through whoever you are going through. Nengun is way cheaper and faster. Got from there last month.
Font Rectangle Technology Number Screenshot

#19 · (Edited)
Here is a video showing the updated taillights:

Lexus CT200H Rear updated lights

I only have the rear outer taillight because I was trying to help someone figure out the wiring so the turn signal would work properly. But the taillight when braking lights up 3 leds and then the "check/L" shape on the back of the taillights. Both outer and inner.

Parking lights light up the sides/Check/L shape on the back.

Reverse lights depending on if it's rest of world or Japan will either be both or one. In the video both light up for reverse.

OEM turn signals are not sequential and light up on both inner and outer taillight sections. However several people have made the sequential and there are videos on youtube showing it. I actually like that it's not sequential in this case.

The face lifted ones are so much nicer than the ones we got.

Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Another stupid thing is that the damn taillights don't come with the leds bulbs...smh. You need 4 of those and they are about $35 each.

Extra Parts:
8158A-0D610 - LED x4
81585-76080 - Rear lamp socket/wire x2
90980-11452 -Terminal x2
90980-12368 - Connector x2

-Nigel

#21 ·
After speaking with a few others and talking to friends in Japan, this is the correct Jumper Harness pinout required for the 2014 - 2017 CT200h. I have everything sitting at home, been on business travel for the last month but should be installing and testing everything over the next few weeks when I get home.

Haven't seen a super helpful guide online for all of this so I put this together. Will update/remove if I notice a wiring error, but fairly confident in the correctness. Will make a separate post once I have everything together, plus a BOM on where I ordered everything.

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Diagram

#31 ·
After speaking with a few others and talking to friends in Japan, this is the correct Jumper Harness pinout required for the 2014 - 2017 CT200h. I have everything sitting at home, been on business travel for the last month but should be installing and testing everything over the next few weeks when I get home.

Haven't seen a super helpful guide online for all of this so I put this together. Will update/remove if I notice a wiring error, but fairly confident in the correctness. Will make a separate post once I have everything together, plus a BOM on where I ordered everything.

At least give credit to those that had already come up with the information. Instead, you block people on Reddit that try to inform other folks when they ask you questions and you gatekeep...lol.
It's a shame that's how you react instead of actually talking or trying to help people. You are simply trying to take credit for stuff and come off as pretentious.

-Nigel

#30 ·
YAY received the new replacement taillights from Bell. These arrived non damaged and made it through transit! w00t w00t.

Finger Nail Automotive tire Wood Event

Table Tableware Tablecloth Flower Drinkware

Last one this entire rear upper corner was broken :-(
Flower Event Table Flower Arranging Magenta

Now just gotta figure out some time to start the project. I'm doing f-sport springs/struts this weekend along with the cusco power brace, and ultra racing strut bar...etc.

Might do it immediately after doing the projector retro fit., we'll see how time goes.

-Nigel

#32 · (Edited)
Just gotta finish installing the rest of the car and my TRD/OEM aero fins today...but dang these taillights look so good!

Wiring took a while on the passenger side. Thanks to Indolent for ALL the questions he answered for me..hahah Then it went much better on the driver side. All looks OEM. It's sleeved and run along side OEM looms. If you weren't looking for it, you really wouldn't notice, and even if you were looking, it would be hard pressed to know there is new wiring done...

Wiring: I wanted to drill two small holes in the hatch to put the second connectors into but didn't, so I zip tied them to the stock connector location (red circles). I still might revisit making two holes.. just something about drilling into untouched paint/metal is like....ehhhh...lol
White Motor vehicle Hood Gas Automotive exterior

Old:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

New:
Car Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Wheel

Lights on. So much cooler that the hatch now has some lighting and the Lexus swoosh carries through. Definitely updates the car by a lot.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

I'll make a new thread once everything is all together.

-Nigel

Attachments

#34 ·
I wish I would have done it sooner to be honest! It really does change the entire look of the back end of the car. when it's lit up it looks freaking amazing!

I added OEM rear aero fins as well. And just loosly stuck the TRD rear winglett on to see. I think it's an all or nothing. And since I put the fins on I have to put the tail winglett on now. I do like the nothing on the side/rear look as it focuses all on the taillights but I got these cheap so might as well put them on.

Hatch garnish installed:

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Lit up:
Tire Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Automotive lighting

OEM rear Aero fins:
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

Aero fins plus TRD rear winglett above the taillight.
Tire Automotive tail & brake light Wheel Car Vehicle

I normally don't put stuff like this on my car. But found both for 1/3 the price compared to what Lexus Boutique sells them for so figured why not, I won't find them again for that price since the TRD wingletts are now discontinued in ultra white.

-Nigel