Lexus CT200h Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This mod is to add LED light to the rear passenger footwell area.

The dome light is often not enough to light the rear footwell because the high head rest blocks the light.

The mod is quite simple but does require taking off a few trim pieces.

HINT: Search youtube for install of illuminated door sills. That will show you how to remove kick panel and door sill.

Here are instructions for installing the drivers side. It’s the same on the passenger side.

1) Remove map light assembly.
2) Tap the green (1) and red (21) wires for power.
3) Route wire from map light to window. Route under headliner to A pillar. 4) Continue wire down pillar to the kick panel.
5) Run wire along the sill.
6) At the point where the sill meets the side of the seat you go under the carpet. There is a hole in the carpet already for the wire to come out under the seat.
7) Connect wire leads to the +/- leads of the LED.
8) Secure wire to under the seat by tucking under the seat springs.

When your map lights go on so will the rear lights!!

Total time is approx 3 hours.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Map light assembly removed. Held on by 4 clips (blue).

Tapping the light. Red wire (pin 21) is positive. Green wire (pin 1) is negative. I tested with wire leads into the harness. You can see the leads to give you an idea of the pin locations. Also don't tap too close to the harness. The wires run right beside the map light assembly. If you tap too close you won't be able to re-install the assembly. I tapped about 10 cm away from the harness plug.

The harness is upside down here. The test lead in the bottom right of the picture is PIN 1.

Route along headliner.

Routing to the kick panel and along sill.

Fish wire under carpet:

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Original idea was to tap the front footwell lights. Decided to tap the map lights instead so I didn't have to deal with the lights staying on while driving.

Updated with pictures of the finished job.

I went with an LED strip for the lights instead of 5050s. These are waterproof and you can adjust the amount of lights. I used 3 LEDs. Even tucked into the white foam under the seat these are plenty bright.

Connected LED strip:

Tucking under seat. Hard to see but the LED strip is tucked under the seat spring. It blends right in to the white seat foam when the LED is off.
under seat light 055.jpg

Final lights!!!
under seat light 088.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
371 Posts
2) I need to get my dealer to turn off the foot well light while I'm driving. It would be super annoying for my passengers to have their feet lit up the entire ride.
I really like your write-up of adding rear footwell lights to your CT. I asked my dealer to turn off the footwell lights while driving at night (headlights on and door closed) but they could not accomplish it. When they got the footwell lights to turn off, it also turned off the illuminated sill plates. For some reason, they could get the footwell lights to operate correctly -- the footwell lights would always be on (but dim) when the headlights are on. Let us know if you find a solution to this annoying problem. I too hate looking at my illuminated feet while driving at night.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm surprised your dealer couldn't change it. It explicitly states it as a customization option in my manual p713:

"Foot lights operation when vehicle is running."

Perhaps the dealer was just not familiar with this option? It might not be something that many people have asked to change. My 8000km service is still a couple of months away. When I do go in I will bring the manual with me.

Did you try showing them the owner's manual?

The same problem is mentioned in the prius forum. Apparently the manual for the prius also says the same option can be set by the dealer:

Foot Lights? | PriusChat

I really like your write-up of adding rear footwell lights to your CT. I asked my dealer to turn off the footwell lights while driving at night (headlights on and door closed) but they could not accomplish it. When they got the footwell lights to turn off, it also turned off the illuminated sill plates. For some reason, they could get the footwell lights to operate correctly -- the footwell lights would always be on (but dim) when the headlights are on. Let us know if you find a solution to this annoying problem. I too hate looking at my illuminated feet while driving at night.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'm surprised your dealer couldn't change it. It explicitly states it as a customization option in my manual p713:

"Foot lights operation when vehicle is running."

Perhaps the dealer was just not familiar with this option? It might not be something that many people have asked to change. My 8000km service is still a couple of months away. When I do go in I will bring the manual with me.

Did you try showing them the owner's manual?

The same problem is mentioned in the prius forum. Apparently the manual for the prius also says the same option can be set by the dealer:

Foot Lights? | PriusChat
Yes, I did show my dealership the customization option in the manual. However, when they programmed the foot lights to turn off, it completely turned off the illuminated sill plates as well. They could not get it to operate properly. The foot light should operate like this: open door, foot lights on... door closed, foot lights off. Headlights on with doors closed, foot lights should be completely off, not just dimmed... door open with headlights on, the foot lights and sill plates should be on. The service technician and talked at length about this and he understood what I was saying but he still could not get this task accomplished. He said he would check with Lexus, but no one has ever gotten back to me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see the frustration. You said the sills would not light up after they turn off the foot lights. Did the foot lights themselves work correctly? I.e. Door open the foot lights go on. Headlight on, the foot lights would turn off? When I go in for service I will ask my Lexus dealership. If I have news I will let you know.

At the end of the day I didn't like the look of the lights under the seat not turning off completely. I could see people sitting in the back hating it. It's different in the front. You have other lights on in the front so the dim foot lights are less noticeable. But in the back it's completely dark so the dim under seat lights are really noticeable.

I rewired the under seat lights to tap the map light.

Yes, I did show my dealership the customization option in the manual. However, when they programmed the foot lights to turn off, it completely turned off the illuminated sill plates as well. They could not get it to operate properly. The foot light should operate like this: open door, foot lights on... door closed, foot lights off. Headlights on with doors closed, foot lights should be completely off, not just dimmed... door open with headlights on, the foot lights and sill plates should be on. The service technician and talked at length about this and he understood what I was saying but he still could not get this task accomplished. He said he would check with Lexus, but no one has ever gotten back to me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
awesome idea, maybe i should do this same time i do my illuminated door sills

do you mind sharing what spec leds those are, and where to buy them ???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry but i don't really know the specs. i bought them from a local electronics store.

they are same kind you can get from any auto parts store. waterproof led strip that you can cut every 3 leds.

the leds themselves look about 1/2 the size of a 5050 smd. I'd say the 3 leds that i used are prob equivalent to 1.5 5050s. and they are more than bright enough to light the back foot area. it's serously bright back there. i actually think 1 5050 would be enough. the advantage of the led strip is it is waterproof.

look sort of like these:
5M 300 LEDs Waterproof Light Strip 3528 SMD Pure White | eBay

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those interested in how to get the map light housing off... protect the headliner with tape, and use a pry tool like those for pulling plastic fender trim buttons. There are four plastic snaps on the top of the housing that hold it to the inner roof, and at the front edge, there are curved plastic clips that grip between the headliner and the inner roof panel. Get the angled tip well inside between the headliner and the housing, on the sides next to the sunglasses holder and work it loose. Move toward the rear of the housing and carefully pry at that location. The housing will come out with one piece of wiring harness attached at the left.

·
Registered
21 Posts
For those interested in how to get the map light housing off... protect the headliner with tape, and use a pry tool like those for pulling plastic fender trim buttons. There are four plastic snaps on the top of the housing that hold it to the inner roof, and at the front edge, there are curved plastic clips that grip between the headliner and the inner roof panel. Get the angled tip well inside between the headliner and the housing, on the sides next to the sunglasses holder and work it loose. Move toward the rear of the housing and carefully pry at that location. The housing will come out with one piece of wiring harness attached at the left.

Changing light bulbs in the front map light housing requires removing the plastic trim squares ahead of the lens, then prying the back clip of the lens away from the housing, then dislodging the lens from the pins at the back edge, where the lens pivots up and down to switch the lights on and off. The bulbs are wedge type and pull straight out. DO NOT TWIST them. If you twist them, the socket will pop off and get lost inside the housing, and you will have to remove the housing. Instead put a piece of tape over the bulb, leaving a tail to pull down. Pull the bulb straight down. Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly.

·
Registered
2016 Blue Lexus CT200h F-Sport
23 Posts
can we replace those bright footwell bulbs with led blue bulbs instead and how hard is that to do
the footwell lights are tiny housings with built-in cool white LEDs. You'd have to splice/cut into the wiring there and put in your own blue light.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts